Better group of players? Gretzky & younger or older than Gretzky?

Which group of players is better?

• Gretzky & younger

Votes: 53 79.1%
  • Older than Gretzky

Votes: 14 20.9%

• Total voters

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
This one's tough. Really tough. Start a team with Gordie Howe and Bobby Orr, or start a team with Wayne Gretzky and Mario Lemieux.

Old: Nighbor, Morenz, Cyclone, Rocket, Shore, Harvey, Hull, Mikita, Sawchuk, Plante, Beliveau, Red Kelly, Potvin, Robinson, Bourque, Esposito, Bobby Clarke, Lafleur, Trottier, Bossy, Tretiak, KLM, Fetisov, and funnily enough Messier

Quality of defensemen really sticks out here.

New: Roy, Hasek, Lidstrom, Crosby, Jagr, Ovechkin, Malkin, McDavid, Kane/Toews, Lindros, Forsberg, Hawerchuk, Sakic, Yzerman, Robitaille, Chelios, Pronger, Iginla, St. Louis, Chara, Keith, Doughty, gotta have Fedorov/Mogilny/Bure, Kariya, Selanne, Joe Thornton, MacKinnon

The older team looks a lot deeper which makes sense, as they have more actual years to build from, and they have already finished their careers. Who knows which of today's players will finish in the all-time realm, as we certainly have potential with guys like Pettersson and Dahlin. The younger team would rely on Gretzky and Lemieux to do some heavy lifting, which they are certainly capable of doing, especially if surrounded with this kind of firepower. But, I think the d-men of the older team create too much of a gap to overcome. Names like Orr, Shore, Harvey, Bourque, Potvin, and Kelly are a bit much for the younger guys. Older guys by a solid, but not large margin if that makes sense.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Gretzky and younger. That team would have Roy and Hasek on it.

Hasek's the best I've ever seen with my own two eyes, but mad respect to the earlier guys. I'm not sure how Roy and Hasek would feel about having to play goalie without a mask.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
What kind of evolutionary changes human species have gone through in the past 100 years?

Well, if you go back to the 1896-1912 Olympics, the men winners got times of 12.2 to 10.8 seconds, which wouldn't be enough today to either meet the entry standard on the men's side, or win the race on the women's side.

Edit: Up to 1960, the men winners wouldn't have met the entry standard for the 2016 Olympics.

I agree that "evolution" was a poor choice of word, but today's athletes are monsters compared to the old days. Better training, better nutrition, better knowledge of the game. Old school legends vs Gretzky and up? I predict a blowout, 12-0.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Well, if you go back to the 1896-1912 Olympics, the men winners got times of 12.2 to 10.8 seconds, which wouldn't be enough today to either meet the entry standard on the men's side, or win the race on the women's side.

Edit: Up to 1960, the men winners wouldn't have met the entry standard for the 2016 Olympics.

I agree that "evolution" was a poor choice of word, but today's athletes are monsters compared to the old days. Better training, better nutrition, better knowledge of the game. Old school legends vs Gretzky and up? I predict a blowout, 12-0.

That's not evolution. If you give a baby gorilla steroids and watch it grow stronger and bigger than it's natural counterparts, it's not evolution.

Last edited:

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Read the entire post next time. I was never the one to use the word evolution.

Oh I did. I didn't mean you used the word. Just that I didn't argue wether or not athletes today are stronger or faster (they are), but just pointed out that evolution is mot the reason for the development in the past decades.

Reactions: Violenza Domestica

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Its not human evolution. Its the evolution of training, diet etc

Well, I guess you could use the wording "evolution of nutrition" but that's not really accurate. It's advance in training or nutrition. Not evolution per se.

Still though, the post I first quoted seemed to be talking about human evolution.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
But assuming they play each other they will have to have the same nutrition and equipment. Right? So it's Hasek without his mask and Crosby with 70's nutrition and training. Old time rules with brawls etc.

Or you go the other way and give Bobby Hull today's training and equipment and create a legitimate beast.

Either way it doesn't look good for the younger team.

Reactions: Thenameless

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
The current poll results are indicative of what the score would probably be if Younger's best played a game against Older's best.

8-2 in Younger's favor. This poll is a runaway and rightly so, getting close to lock it up time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad