Better career: Lundqvist vs Luongo

Better career?

• Total voters

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
Who has had the better career?
It would help if you included some data/stats/career achievements in your post so I don't have to go searching for it as I don't think most people know their career numbers off hand.

Having watched them for years I have them in a similar spot, but I'd probably pick Lundqvist as a better career.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think the biggest difference maker here is all of Lundqvist's deep playoff runs

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
luingo could finish 2nd all time in wins, id say unless one of them wins the cup thats enough to say luongo had the better career

hank was the best goalie for a decent chunk of his career though, he was the better goalie.

i guess kinda similar to brodeur vs hasek in some ways

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I went with Luongo. He played on a lot of bad times, and when he finally played for a good team, he went all the way to the seventh game of a Stanley Cup Final. This is really close though.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Luongo.

I'd say 2006-07 Luongo is better than any season Lundqvist ever had. Luongo was robbed of the vezina that year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
luingo could finish 2nd all time in wins, id say unless one of them wins the cup thats enough to say luongo had the better career

hank was the best goalie for a decent chunk of his career though, he was the better goalie.

i guess kinda similar to brodeur vs hasek in some ways
If he does finish 2nd in wins, Lundqvist will pass him. He's nearly 4 years younger and has 39 fewer wins.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
If he does finish 2nd in wins, Lundqvist will pass him. He's nearly 4 years younger and has 39 fewer wins.

Disagree. It's 3 years not 4. Luongo is aging better and is signed longer AND is on a team that is gong to win more going forward. I think both are on their last contract and I doubt Hank passes Luongo

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Disagree. It's 3 years not 4. Luongo is aging better and is signed longer AND is on a team that is gong to win more going forward. I think both are on their last contract and I doubt Hank passes Luongo
After one year, Luongo is aging better? It's the only negative GSAA seasion of Hank's career. He's more likely to bounce back than to continue regressing based on his history. His struggles in the second half have a lot to do with his fighting with the coach, and fatigue from the coach deliberately overusing him as punishment. I expect the idiot to be fired.

Luongo hasn't won more games than Lundqvist since 10-11, including this season. The gap has been closing for 7 years and I don't expect it to stop closing. Luongo had a 5 season head start and has 39 more wins.

I also don't see where the Panthers are significantly better than the Rangers after one season, again, especially if the Rangers remove the cancer behind the bench.

It's pure speculation that Lundqvist is on his last contact. He's already talked about contending again post-rebuild and has given zero indication he's done after this contract.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
Quite easily Luongo as a player, career wise it gets a bit more blurry cause Lundqvist has almost always been on better teams.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Quite easily Luongo as a player, career wise it gets a bit more blurry cause Lundqvist has almost always been on better teams.

He has?

The Canucks won their division five consecutive years with Luongo.

The Rangers were great from 2012-2015 but the Canucks had a similar run from 2009-2013.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
The Rangers were really only any good from 2012-2015 and even then they were elevated by Lundqvist. Without him even the good teams he played on probably would've just been second round fodder.

Hank and Lu are both Hall of Famers for me. Lundqvist gets the edge both and peak and overall career, but Lu is a close number 2 for their era of goalies.

This was posted on the Rangers board. Here's Lundqvist relative to the rest of the goalies during his career in Goals Saved Above Average (Actually, this chart is missing the first 2 years of his career). Players should be judged not only by all time numbers and ranks, but more importantly how they perform relative to their peers during their career.

DXnKk9WVoAA0bT6.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad