Better All-Time Roster: New York Islanders Or Vancouver Canucks

Which franchise has the better all-time roster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
In these polls, I'm including only players who spent at least two seasons with a franchise on their all-time rosters.

For relocated franchises, I am including worthy players who played for the franchises prior to relocation(s).

Consider how good a player was when he played for the franchise whose roster he's included on. For example: If Fedorov is part of Team Columbus, don't think of him as the 1994 version of the player.

New York Islanders lost to Colorado Avalanche 66 votes to 8 (89.2%) in round one: Better All-Time Roster: Colorado Avalanche Or New York Islanders | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com) and lost to Edmonton Oilers 50 votes to 2 (96.2%) in round two: Better All-Time Roster: Edmonton Oilers Or New York Islanders?

Vancouver Canucks lost to Buffalo Sabres 55 votes to 28 (66.3%) in round one: Better All-Time Roster: Buffalo Sabres Or Vancouver Canucks | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com) and lost to Tampa Bay Lightning 35 votes to 9 (79.5%) in round two: Better All-Time Roster: Tampa Bay Lightning Versus Vancouver Canucks

New York Islanders:

Zigmund Palffy - Bryan Trottier - Mike Bossy
John Tavares - Pat LaFontaine - Alexei Yashin
Clark Gillies - Butch Goring - Brent Sutter
John Tonelli - Pierre Turgeon - Steve Thomas

Denis Potvin - Adrian Aucoin
Tomas Jonsson - Stefan Persson
Roman Hamrlik - Ryan Pulock

Billy Smith
Glenn Resch

Vancouver Cauncks:

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Pavel Bure
Markus Naslund - Elias Pettersson - Todd Bertuzzi
Trevor Linden - Ryan Kesler - Stan Smyl
Geoff Courtnall - Cliff Ronning - Alex Mogilny

Alex Edler - Mattias Ohlund
Ed Jovanovski - Chris Tanev
Jyrki Lumme - Quinn Hughes

Roberto Luongo
Kirk McLean​

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In these polls, I'm including only players who spent at least two seasons with a franchise on their all-time rosters.

For relocated franchises, I am including worthy players who played for the franchises prior to relocation(s).

Consider how good a player was when he played for the franchise whose roster he's included on. For example: If Fedorov is part of Team Columbus, don't think of him as the 1994 version of the player.

New York Islanders lost to Colorado Avalanche 66 votes to 8 (89.2%) in round one: Better All-Time Roster: Colorado Avalanche Or New York Islanders | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com) and lost to Edmonton Oilers 50 votes to 2 (96.2%) in round two: Better All-Time Roster: Edmonton Oilers Or New York Islanders?

Vancouver Canucks lost to Buffalo Sabres 55 votes to 28 (66.3%) in round one: Better All-Time Roster: Buffalo Sabres Or Vancouver Canucks | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com) and lost to Tampa Bay Lightning 35 votes to 9 (79.5%) in round two: Better All-Time Roster: Tampa Bay Lightning Versus Vancouver Canucks

New York Islanders:

Zigmund Palffy - Bryan Trottier - Mike Bossy
John Tavares - Pat LaFontaine - Alexei Yashin
Clark Gillies - Butch Goring - Brent Sutter
John Tonelli - Pierre Turgeon - Steve Thomas

Denis Potvin - Adrian Aucoin
Tomas Jonsson - Stefan Persson
Roman Hamrlik - Ryan Pulock

Billy Smith
Glenn Resch

Vancouver Cauncks:

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Pavel Bure
Markus Naslund - Elias Pettersson - Todd Bertuzzi
Trevor Linden - Ryan Kesler - Stan Smyl
Geoff Courtnall - Cliff Ronning - Alex Mogilny

Alex Edler - Mattias Ohlund
Ed Jovanovski - Chris Tanev
Jyrki Lumme - Quinn Hughes

Roberto Luongo
Kirk McLean​

I can't see Ed Jovanovski anymore without thinking of @EdJovanovski .

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Chara is a must add to Isles no?

I think I also would go

Weight over Thomas
Osgood over Resch

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Chara is a must add to Isles no?

No as a member of the NYI, Chara probably isn't even on their top 10 or heck maybe top 15 all time Dman list.

Also as a live long Canucks fan, I have no idea why 6 people picked the Canucks in this poll, it's the NYI and frankly it's not even very close.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
No as a member of the NYI, Chara probably isn't even on their top 10 or heck maybe top 15 all time Dman list.

Also as a live long Canucks fan, I have no idea why 6 people picked the Canucks in this poll, it's the NYI and frankly it's not even very close.

Ahh I was confused with the poll. I had thought it was any players career. Not just what they did while on the Islanders

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The Canucks are really let down by their defence here. It's kind of sad that after all these years, that's probably the best defence you can assemble. I think you could probably shoehorn prime Ehrhoff in there, and maybe Salo should be in there as well. But it doesn't really move the needle anyway. Just a franchise that has never really had a single "elite" defenceman. So strange.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad