Better All-Time Roster: Dallas Stars Or New Jersey Devils?

Which franchise has the better all-time roster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
In these polls, I'm including only players who spent at least two seasons with a franchise on their all-time rosters.

For relocated franchises, I am including worthy players who played for the franchises prior to relocation(s).

Consider how good a player was when he played for the franchise whose roster he's included on. For example: If Fedorov is part of Team Columbus, don't think of him as the 1994 version of the player.

Dallas Stars:

Brian Bellows - Mike Modano - Brett Hull
Jamie Benn - Brad Richards - Tyler Seguin
Joe Nieuwendyk - Bobby Smith - Dino Ciccarelli
Dave Gagner - Neal Broten - Dennis Hextall

Craig Hartsburg - John Klingberg
Derian Hatcher - Sergei Zubov
Miro Heiskanen - Darryl Sydor

Eddie Belfour
Marty Turco

New Jersey Devils:

Ilya Kovalchuk - Scott Gomez - Patrick Elias
Taylor Hall - Jason Arnott - Alexander Mogilny
Kirk Muller - Bobby Holik - Zach Parise
John MacLean - Patrik Sundstrom - Lanny McDonald

Scott Stevens - Brian Rafalski
Scott Niedermayer - Viacheslav Fetisov
Ken Daneyko - Bruce Driver

Martin Brodeur
Cory Schneider​

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
Drop Dennis Hextall for 3x Selke winner Jere Lehtinen.

It's too bad Hartsburg suffered so many injuries. He averaged only 57 games a season in 10 years with Minnesota. He was elite when healthy and probably would have had 800 points if he had a normal career.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I do find it interesting that Arnott is the Devils 2nd line center but doesn't even crack the Dallas line up when he was actually better in Dallas. Dallas has a hall of fame center with 500+ goals and a Conn Smythe listed as the 3rd line left winger.

3x Selke and 3x cup winner Guy Carbonneau wouldn't be a bad option on the Dallas 4th line if you wanted a complete team and not just the best stat compilers. Six Selke trophies are missing from the OP's line up.

Reactions: banks

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Devils D + Marty..... too good

They most certainly have a Dman better than Devils Fetisov heck Bruce Driver is a much better option.

Anyway I took Dallas as they seem to have a better mix of players and the Devils IMO rely too much on the clutch and grab era.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
3x Selke and 3x cup winner Guy Carbonneau wouldn't be a bad option on the Dallas 4th line if you wanted a complete team and not just the best stat compilers. Six Selke trophies are missing from the OP's line up.

I agree with putting Jiri in as he actually won those Selke's with Dallas, Carbs in Dallas no way to put him on a team like this.

Consider how good a player was when he played for the franchise whose roster he's included on. For example: If Fedorov is part of Team Columbus, don't think of him as the 1994 version of the player.

I know people find this part hard to do but you don't get Montreal carbs you get the 35-39 year old version of him so that would be a huge NO.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I agree with putting Jiri in as he actually won those Selke's with Dallas, Carbs in Dallas no way to put him on a team like this.

I agree with you. Carbs was a very good bottom six and PKer in Dallas but yeah I wouldn’t have him on an all time team unless I was trying to build a balanced roster and I needed someone for face offs, PK, and such. I was more just rambling and not saying Carbo belongs.

Jere definitely belongs.

Dallas and NJ have surprisingly had a lot of crossover with quality players. Arnott, Verbeek, Guerin, Langenbrunner, Nieuwendyk, and fan favorite Grant Marshall.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Dallas team needs both Jere Lehtinen and Guy Carbonneau, especially against this NJD team, otherwise they'll be eaten alive. Doesn't matter if it's old Carbo he's not supposed to be dynamic anyways. Also dump Klingberg entirely for someone who can play defense, like Matvichuk or Lindell.

The way Hintz is playing right now I would be tempted throwing him into the mix as well as a shit disturber on the PK.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Must be 2 full seasons or the Devils could add Doug Glimour and Jaromir Jagr and Joe Nieuwendyk to their already impressive line up. (they all played parts of 2 seasons)

This roster doesn't even have Brian Gionta, Dave Andreychuk, Petr Sykora, Aaron Broten, Stephane Richer, Pat Verbeek, Claude Lemieux, Travis Zajac, John Madden, PK Subban or even Peter Stastny a guy who eclipsed 100 point in 7 seasons

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Must be 2 full seasons or the Devils could add Doug Glimour and Jaromir Jagr and Joe Nieuwendyk to their already impressive line up. (they all played parts of 2 seasons)

This roster doesn't even have Brian Gionta, Dave Andreychuk, Petr Sykora, Aaron Broten, Stephane Richer, Claude Lemieux, Travis Zajac, John Madden, PK Subban or even Peter Stastny a guy who eclipsed 100 point in 7 seasons

A lot of those guys (Jagr, Stastny, Gilmour, Subban) weren't at their best with the Devils. Devils Subban would be a point in Dallas' favour.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
A lot of those guys (Jagr, Stastny, Gilmour, Subban) weren't at their best with the Devils. Devils Subban would be a point in Dallas' favour.

Yes, I misunderstood this to be their prime... guess I should practice my reading lol

Reactions: Regal

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
If Jere Lehtinen is not on a Dallas team, I dunno what to say. 3x Selke-winning winger dont fit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad