Better All-Time Roster: Carolina Hurricanes Or San Jose Sharks?

Which franchise has the better all-time roster?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DitchMarner

It's time.
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
In these polls, I'm including only players who spent at least two seasons with a franchise on their all-time rosters.

For relocated franchises, I am including worthy players who played for the franchises prior to relocation(s).

Consider how good a player was when he played for the franchise whose roster he's included on. For example: If Fedorov is part of Team Columbus, don't think of him as the 1994 version of the player.

Carolina Hurricanes lost to St. Louis Blues 56 votes to 2 (96.6%) in round one: Better All-Time Roster: Carolina Hurricanes Or St. Louis Blues? | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com)

San Jose Sharks lost to Ottawa Senators 58 votes to 31 (65.2%) in round one: Better All-Time Roster: Ottawa Senators Or San Jose Sharks? | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com)

Carolina Hurricanes:

Blaine Stoughton - Ron Francis - Pat Verbeek
Jeff Skinner - Eric Staal - Ray Whitney
Erik Cole - Rod Brind'Amour - Kevin Dineen
Geoff Sanderson - Sebastian Aho - Sami Kapanen

Mark Howe - Brett Pesce
Jaccob Slavin - Glen Wesley
Chris Pronger - Dougie Hamilton

Cam Ward
Sean Burke

San Jose Sharks:

Dany Heatley - Joe Thornton - Owen Nolan
Patrick Marleau - Joe Pavelski - Logan Couture
Vincent Damphousse - Igor Larionov - Timo Meier
Jeff Friesen - Tomas Hertl - Johnathan Cheechoo

Sandis Ozolinsh - Brent Burns
Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Erik Karlsson
Scott Hannan - Dan Boyle

Evgeni Nabokov
Arturs Irbe

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Carolina had Pronger when he was too young and Howe when he was too old.
Larionov wasn't that good when he played for San Jose. Should be switched out with someone else.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Larionov wasn't that good when he played for San Jose. Should be switched out with someone else.

Mark, not Gordie. Mark Howe started his NHL career with Hartford (Carolina) after they moved from the WHA, and played there from age 24 to 26, finishing 5th and 10 in Norris voting his first two seasons, though he apparently played some forward those years. His best years were in Philly no doubt, but he was still good in Hartford.

Larionov also had one of the best years of his career in San Jose. He had 56 points in 60 games in ‘94 on a low scoring Sharks team (20th of 26 teams in goals for) that made the playoffs in only their 3rd season. He also finished 7th in Selke voting (best of his career), and it was the only year he received Hart votes. He then led the Sharks in scoring with 18 points in 14 games (the next best scorer had 10) in the playoffs as they upended the Conference leading Red Wings in the first round, then took the Maple Leafs to 7 games in the second. That was definitely the best playoffs of his career.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Mark, not Gordie. Mark Howe started his NHL career with Hartford/Carolina after they moved from the WHA, and played there from age 24 to 26, finishing 5th and 10 in Norris voting his first two seasons, though he apparently played some forward those years.

Larionov also had one of the best years of his career in San Jose. He had 56 points in 60 games in ‘94 on a low scoring Sharks team that made the playoffs in only their 3rd season. He also finished 7th in Selke voting (best of his career), and it was the only year he received Hart votes. He then led the Sharks in scoring with 18 points in 14 games (the next best scorer had 10) in the playoffs as they upended the Conference leading Red Wings in the first round, then took the Maple Leafs to 7 games in the second. That was definitely the best playoffs of his career.

Mark Howe spent the majority of his career playing for the Philly Flyers.

Larionov was much better and much more remembered for his play with the Redwings. Scored at over a point per game pace in the season he was traded there. As an individual he was overrated to some degree for his play in North America. He was only so effective because of the system he and his fellow countrymen had been trained to play.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
It's pretty even. I'd give the slight edge to SJ on offense and goaltending. The SJ Erik Karlsson is not that impressive. Defense is even.

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
Larionov not that good for san jose. WTF? Larionov was one of the best players that year period. That year he had hart votes, and the sharks only won 3 games without larionov the entire year. I know even on my own channel ive uploaded some of the videos of Don Cherry being pissed off because at some points in the season people were saying Larionov was better than Gretzky. I think you are very confused as to how good and important was to San Jose. Some would say if you're old enough to remember he was so important it was the reasons for the teams collapse because the players on the team respected him more than Constantine and there was that internal power struggle more or less. So they started trading away more and more players that were Pro larionov, they took away his assistant captaincy, they started benching him even to prove a point. Constantine later went on to even say years later that Larionov was the greatest player he ever coached in his entire career for San Jose despite their differences.

Anyway Larionov not being good for San Jose is a complete joke.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Larionov not that good for san jose. WTF? Larionov was one of the best players that year period. That year he had hart votes, and the sharks only won 3 games without larionov the entire year. I know even on my own channel ive uploaded some of the videos of Don Cherry being pissed off because at some points in the season people were saying Larionov was better than Gretzky. I think you are very confused as to how good and important was to San Jose. Some would say if you're old enough to remember he was so important it was the reasons for the teams collapse because the players on the team respected him more than Constantine and there was that internal power struggle more or less. So they started trading away more and more players that were Pro larionov, they took away his assistant captaincy, they started benching him even to prove a point. Constantine later went on to even say years later that Larionov was the greatest player he ever coached in his entire career for San Jose despite their differences.

Anyway Larionov not being good for San Jose is a complete joke.

You just intentionally misquoted me.
And it's regarding something that goes back several weeks.
Is there where I'm supposed to report you to one of the moderators for trolling/harassment?
Seriously, back off and find your own sandwich.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
In these polls, I'm including only players who spent at least two seasons with a franchise on their all-time rosters.

For relocated franchises, I am including worthy players who played for the franchises prior to relocation(s).

Consider how good a player was when he played for the franchise whose roster he's included on. For example: If Fedorov is part of Team Columbus, don't think of him as the 1994 version of the player.

Carolina Hurricanes lost to St. Louis Blues 56 votes to 2 (96.6%) in round one: Better All-Time Roster: Carolina Hurricanes Or St. Louis Blues? | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com)

San Jose Sharks lost to Ottawa Senators 58 votes to 31 (65.2%) in round one: Better All-Time Roster: Ottawa Senators Or San Jose Sharks? | HFBoards - NHL Message Board and Forum for National Hockey League (mandatory.com)

Carolina Hurricanes:

Blaine Stoughton - Ron Francis - Pat Verbeek
Jeff Skinner - Eric Staal - Ray Whitney
Erik Cole - Rod Brind'Amour - Kevin Dineen
Geoff Sanderson - Sebastian Aho - Sami Kapanen

Mark Howe - Brett Pesce
Jaccob Slavin - Glen Wesley
Chris Pronger - Dougie Hamilton

Cam Ward
Sean Burke

San Jose Sharks:

Dany Heatley - Joe Thornton - Owen Nolan
Patrick Marleau - Joe Pavelski - Logan Couture
Vincent Damphousse - Igor Larionov - Timo Meier
Jeff Friesen - Tomas Hertl - Johnathan Cheechoo

Sandis Ozolinsh - Brent Burns
Marc-Edouard Vlasic - Erik Karlsson
Scott Hannan - Dan Boyle

Evgeni Nabokov
Arturs Irbe

Erik Karlsson is on the sharks all time roster? it seems like he hasnt been there long enough also he is past his prime

seekritdude

May 3, 2009
www.facebook.com
You just intentionally misquoted me.
And it's regarding something that goes back several weeks.
Is there where I'm supposed to report you to one of the moderators for trolling/harassment?
Seriously, back off and find your own sandwich.
I didnt misquote anything... and now you are saying to report me because you are mad I called you out on saying something stupid? Sorry i'm not on the internet all day and when I am I only have so much time for hockey as a past time. I just thought your comment in particular was stupid and made no sense.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I didnt misquote anything... and now you are saying to report me because you are mad I called you out on saying something stupid? Sorry i'm not on the internet all day and when I am I only have so much time for hockey as a past time. I just thought your comment in particular was stupid and made no sense.

*sigh* one more person to block. Goodbye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad