Better 62 Win Season?

More impressive season?

• Total voters

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Today, the Lightning tied the ‘96 Red Wings wins record for a single season with 62.

The Lightning accomplished this in a cap world with increased parity and a smaller difference in team skill.

The Red Wings accomplished this in an era without overtime or shootouts, so they had to win them in regulation.

Both are phenomenal accomplishments. Which is more impressive?

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Today, the Lightning tied the ‘96 Red Wings wins record for a single season with 62.

The Lightning accomplished this in a cap world with increased parity and a smaller difference in team skill.

The Red Wings accomplished this in an era without overtime or shootouts, so they had to win them in regulation.

Both are phenomenal accomplishments. Which is more impressive?

With all due respect to Tampa but it has to be Wings. Those 90s teams were super stacked. New Jersey, Colorado, St Louis, Penguins etc. Not to mention what kind of era it was in - grabbing and clutching

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
If Tampa had the same opportunity Detroit had back then, Steeve Yzeman would make Tampa second unit look like this:

Ovechkin - Kuznetsov - Kucherov
Sergachev - Provorov

While having the 1st one:

Point - Stamkos - Johnson
Hedman - McDonagh

That's 82 - 0 easy :popcorn:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Tampa did it during cap parity.

Detroit did it when you needed to win without a shootout.

Detroit probably had a better team but tampa probably had a better management team.

Reactions: Mbraunm

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Red Wings. Tampa had the benefit of winning games in a shootout whereas Detroit didn't. Not taking anything away from Tampa's accomplishments, they're the best team I've seen since the lockout.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I counted 18 games Tampa went past regulation 13 they got the extra point 5 they didn't.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
The answer right now is the Red Wings since they actually, you know, won 62 games without a gimmick.

If the Lightning win the Cup, then they become the answer.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Red Wings's is more impressive. 62 regulation wins is insane.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I remember that Wings season. As amazing as it was there was no cap then.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The Bolts only had 49 real hockey wins. The rest of them were undeserved extra points given for winning a gimmick.

I still voted for Tampa, because f*** Detroit.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
FWIW DET 96 had 2 guys in the top 20 points (9, 19), TB will have 3 - likely to be 1, 7, 12

Detroit had the Selke winner plus other great defensive guys like Lidström, Larionov, et cetera. Rock solid team, Bowman machinery.

In 12–13 Tampa had the 1st (St. Louis) and 2nd (Stamkos) best scorers in the league but finished 28th place. Mighty Ducks in the late 90s had Selänne/Kariya always finishing top 10 in scoring when healthy, but the team obviously never contended for a Presidents' Trophy.

A stand out game from the 95–96 season was when the Red Wings ran over the Canadiens 11-1 in Montreal, Patrick Roy's last game with the club. For everyone talking about parity, that Montreal team perhaps wasn't great (especially not defensively) but it still had some very good players like Turgeon, Damphousse, Recchi and a young Koivu.

The parity argument is a bit dumb because more teams can also mean more diluted rosters talent wise. I don't think the 95–96 Red Wings would be scared down to the bone facing clubs like the 18–19 version Coyotes, Oilers, Senators, Devils, Sabres, Rangers, Wild, Canucks, Ducks, Kings, or Canadiens. Seriously.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If TB had no salary cap to comply with, like the 96 DRW, they'd have Karlsson on their team giving them 2 of the top 5 d-men in the league to go along with their crazy forward depth.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I think the accomplishment in itself is more impressive by the Red Wings as they didn't have shootout back then, but I also think it's more impressive that a team can make it to 62 wins in the salary cap era.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
If TB had no salary cap to comply with, like the 96 DRW, they'd have Karlsson on their team giving them 2 of the top 5 d-men in the league to go along with their crazy forward depth.
With no salary cap, they wouldn't have the players they have now, because they couldn't afford them. Big market teams would have taken Karlsson too, so that's another silly point.

Rangers, Canadiens, Leafs would have no trouble giving Kucherov 20+ million per.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
With no salary cap, they wouldn't have the players they have now, because they couldn't afford them. Big market teams would have taken Karlsson too, so that's another silly point.

Rangers, Canadiens, Leafs would have no trouble giving Kucherov 20+ million per.
Yeah that's probably why the Rangers, Habs, and Leafs won all of those Cups during the DPE.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad