• Crosby

Votes: 76 40.9%
  • Ovechkin

Votes: 110 59.1%

• Total voters

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They’re pretty close but I’d give Ovechkin the edge for being among the leaders the first half of the year

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Very close - 2 of the best 36 year old seasons of all time.

Ovechkin by a bit for me, as points relative to the rest of the league are about a wash, but Ovechkin was 4th in the league in goals while also missing 5 games. He also had 108% more goals than #2 on his own team. Truly carried their goalscoring.

Up until the Guentzel trade, Guentzel had 52 points in 50 games (a higher point/gp than Crosby who had 63 in 61). And only had a 45% lead on him in goals. Since that trade Guentzel has been the Canes best player and has shown he didn't need Crosby to produce. The counter part is that Crosby has been amazing himself (but at the same time, Malkin and Rust have finally woke up, and Bunting has been fantastic for them too).

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Ovechkin had Kuznetsov and Carlsson soaring over 70 points and was (as usual) very reliant on the PP for a third of his production. Dude has never played a lick of defense. He came a distant 10th in Hart voting with a couple votes thrown his way, presumably by Washington media.

Only Malkin is sniffing 60 points for the Pens this year and barely 20% of Crosby’s production is on the PP. Sid will finish high in the Selke voting and could end up as high as 5th in the Hart race by single-handedly dragging an awful Penguins team into playoff contention.

The answer is 87 by a clear margin, as it always is with these two.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Only Malkin is sniffing 60 points for the Pens this year and barely 20% of Crosby’s production is on the PP. Sid will finish high in the Selke voting and could end up as high as 5th in the Hart race by single-handedly dragging an awful Penguins team into playoff contention.
If Crosby gets any Selke votes this year that's entirely due to reputation.

I usually champion Crosby well over Ovechkin due to a more impactful game, but he has taken his liberties from two-way hockey to carry the mail offensively. All of his defensive metrics are the worst they've ever been and some of the worst in the league this year.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Close, but Ovechkin.

His first ~30 games he was playing as one of the best players in the world.
Was he playing at that level? Or was he just getting lucky and putting up points? If I remember he had some absurd on ice shooting percentage for the first half of the season

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Crazy because Joe Thornton arguably had a better 36 year old season than either of them finishing 5th in points and better defensively than Crosby this season. Have to go with Ovechkin here though as 50 goals at age 36 in only 77 games is insane, and that was with him slowing down considerably in the 2nd half.

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
Ovechkin had Kuznetsov and Carlsson soaring over 70 points and was (as usual) very reliant on the PP for a third of his production. Dude has never played a lick of defense. He came a distant 10th in Hart voting with a couple votes thrown his way, presumably by Washington media.

If you think there's always a clear margin when comparing these two players, then you're nowhere near objective.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
Ovechkin will go down as one of the more criminally overrated players to ever play.

Cherry picks and pad stats in obvious defensive situations.

Couldn't pick his own goalie out of a police lineup.

Then people go "look at the stats".

People have lost the plot and think hockey is just offensive points.

If you've ever played hockey, you know you're not really doing more in a 6-5 game than a 2-1 game.

In 30 years of watching hockey, I've seen Ovechkin sell out defense for stats more than any 10 other players combined I can think of.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Ovechkin will go down as one of the more criminally overrated players to ever play.

Cherry picks and pad stats in obvious defensive situations.

Couldn't pick his own goalie out of a police lineup.

Then people go "look at the stats".

People have lost the plot and think hockey is just offensive points.

If you've ever played hockey, you know you're not really doing more in a 6-5 game than a 2-1 game.

In 30 years of watching hockey, I've seen Ovechkin sell out defense for stats more than any 10 other players combined I can think of.
Excluding EN situations, no forward has been on ice for more EVGA than Crosby in 23-24.

Here's how their numbers stack up in the respective seasons:

Crosby EVGA 79 (3.74/60)
Ovechkin EVGA 61 (3.14/60)

Source: evolving-hockey.com

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The stats are close enough where I’ll favour the goal scorer

4th in the league at age 36 is insane. Goes to show how dominant of a goal scorer ovechkin is

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Crosby very easily lol. More points much better all around game. Leads the league in faceoff wins. And 4th in faceoff percentage with 58%. Brings way more to the table

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Came here to say something like this and sure in fantasy leagues Ovi was better (position scarcity and goals) but in the NHL Crosby really carried a lifeless corpse till the end of the season with elite faceoff skills and a much better 200 foot game.

Crosby still really drove play much better and had more overall impact on the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad