Best Young Dman

Pilot

Aug 2, 2005
They're all on the doorstep of the NHL, if not already there ... and none of them are over the age of 25.

Fairly uneducated response.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
For me personally:

Kindl
Sanguinetti
Plante
Wishart
Lee

Can't say I'm a fan of any of them really, and I have doubts any of them ever become regular NHLers, but they are all very young with upside so if they develop well over the next few years, we would see 1-2 of them playing as a #5-6 guy.

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
I can only compare Wishart and Lashoff. Wishart has far more talent in both ends while Lashoff was extremely lazy on and off the ice who was more worried about his CD than hockey.

Fairenough

Jan 4, 2010
Québec
I was pleasantly surprised by Wishart. Solid outlet passer, moves the puck well, knows how to use his size efficiently along the boards although he could be A LOT more physical, reads the play relatively well, positioning is sound (although he has a few mental lapses here and there), ect. What he really needs to find is some consistency. He can be lights out for two periods and then, absolutely awful for the 3rd one.

I do think he'll probably be an everyday NHL'er for the rest of his career. The question, though, is what his upside really is? He has the tools to be a bonafide top-4 defenseman, but if he does not pull it together, I could see him being kinda similar to Milan Jurcina. Reliable bottom-pairing defenseman who has the tools to be more, but somehow misses that "thing" that would elevate him up a notch.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
before the end of the 10-11 season, I would have said Brian Lee was a bust, but wow was he ever improved. He switched to become a stay at home D man, and looked really good.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I'm only really familiar with 2. Plante is all but a bust with the Oilers as we have MANY people ahead of him for the bottom 6 role. He's probably a #7 defensive dman/tough guy as his upside at this point. Kindl on the other hand looks like he could still make it and he's going to get a much better shot as Detroit's defense retire

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'd rank Lee at the top of the list, or close to it. He played horribly at the top of the year and was scratched for 30 games. I was one of his main critics. Since then he has been excellent defensively. His main problems before his benching were his lack of strength, shot and physical play. He must have hit the gym because when he came back he didn't look weak. He's been hitting everything that moved, and his defensive play has been mistake-free. He's a great bottom pairing defenseman as of right now. He doesn't bring any offense and I doubt he ever will, but that's not his game. If he can continue to play at the level he has this past season (after the benchings) he could be a top 4 shutdown defender down the road.

He's probably the most underrated player on our roster, as it'll take some time to shake off the bust-title he's earned himself over the years. He'll never live up to his 9th overall selection, but he's no bust.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
i've heard when brian lee got the chance with the sens he looked like he had top 4 upside(never saw him, but i've read it on here and heard it on the radio)

kindl has good offensive skills but has to work on his defense bad.

lashoff... meh has good skating skills and probably got closer to being a legit bottom pairing dman.. but I don't see it working out long term imo.

TheSpaceCoyote

Sens fan in NL
Mar 5, 2011
Rand McNally
For me personally:

Kindl
Sanguinetti
Plante
Wishart
Lee

Can't say I'm a fan of any of them really, and I have doubts any of them ever become regular NHLers, but they are all very young with upside so if they develop well over the next few years, we would see 1-2 of them playing as a #5-6 guy.
Strongly disagree with Lee at the bottom. I havn't seen much of the other guys but Lee was pretty good for Ottawa in the second half of the season playing on the top pairing with Phillips. He didn't make many mistakes and looked like a legit nhl defenseman unlike past seasons.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Lashoff is nothing special, but he's OK, I could see him carving out a decent career as a 5th - 7th dman. Pretty good skater, not bad in the offensive zone, OK puck mover, nothing special defensively but has solid size and doesn't seem to be a true liability defensively. Kind of seems like a jack of all trades, master of none. Better than Brett Lebda, he has a shot to be our 6th dman next season if we don't make any UFA signings.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Plante is progressing, but will be in tough to make the NHL, even with current players in the Oiler's defense corps. (corpse?)

His most important stats? 6'3", 225lbs, and 138 penalty minutes in 73 games (led the OKC Barons in Pims.)

That said, Edmonton has Foster (29) Whitney (27) Gilbert (27) Smid (25) Peckham (23) Chorney (23) Petry (23) on the current roster, traded for Kevin Montgomery, and signed Martin Marincin and Brandon Davidson. Edmonton will likely take RNH with the first pick, and then draft a defenseman at 19, and possibly another at 31. That, combined with picking up a similar player in Colten Teubert in the Dustin Penner deal, and I can't see an open slot at the NHL level for him.

In short, his window to make it is shrinking rapidly.

With his footspeed and decision making, even with his obvious edge to his game, he's in tough company. Of the young players, Peckham has separated himself from the group, and both Petry and Chorney have looked good in stints in the NHL. Plante's likely looking at another year in OKC, and if he struggles, might end up in Stockton as early as next season.

Last edited:

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
title should read "best young dman not playing major role in NHL"

cause for me "best young dman" means

Doughty
Bogosian
EJ
Petro
Hamonic
etc..