best/worst "prospect" trade in the last 10 years..ever??

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyGuy1011

Nov 14, 2003
hey everyone, what would you say is the best and worst prospect trade in the last 10 years?? how about ever??
im not sure about ever, but i have two definite ones set in the last 10 or so years...(my worst is actually 11 years ago)

BEST: Flyers trade Ruslan Fedotenko to the Lightning for their 2002 1st round draft pick (eventually Joni Pitkanen, who is one of the best prospects in the world right now)

WORST: Flyers trade Peter Forsberg, Chris Simon, Ron Hextall, Mike Ricci, Steve Duchense, Kerry Huffman, 1st round pick in 1993 (Jocelyn Thibault), 1st round pick in 1994 (Nolan Baumgartner), and cash to the Nordiques for Eric Lindros

i think everyone will agree with me that this is probably the worst trade EVER!! lol
thanks

Grift69

Oct 23, 2002
Detroit, MI
Visit site
HockeyGuy1011 said:
hey everyone, what would you say is the best and worst prospect trade in the last 10 years?? how about ever??
im not sure about ever, but i have two definite ones set in the last 10 or so years...(my worst is actually 11 years ago)

BEST: Flyers trade Ruslan Fedotenko to the Lightning for their 2002 1st round draft pick (eventually Joni Pitkanen, who is one of the best prospects in the world right now)

WORST: Flyers trade Peter Forsberg, Chris Simon, Ron Hextall, Mike Ricci, Steve Duchense, Kerry Huffman, 1st round pick in 1993 (Jocelyn Thibault), 1st round pick in 1994 (Nolan Baumgartner), and cash to the Nordiques for Eric Lindros

i think everyone will agree with me that this is probably the worst trade EVER!! lol
thanks
Depending how you look at that Lindros trade it can be said its the BEST trade ever.

HockeyGuy1011

Nov 14, 2003
Grift69 said:
Depending how you look at that Lindros trade it can be said its the BEST trade ever.
wow, hadnt even thought of that....in that case, you can look at it as the best AND the worst on each end of the spectrum...

thestonedkoala

Anything that involves the 2000-2001 draft and the Islanders constitutes as the worst...

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
HOCKEYGUY1011 said:

I believe it was Fedotenko and 2 2nd round picks. Maybe this was should be laid off of until we see the final result. I know Pitkanen is a world class prospect, but lets wait 4 or 5 years and let all parties involved pan out..................Some say the Nordiques got too little for Lindros........It doesn't look that way now....

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
parrish and kvasha for luongo and jokinen was pretty bad
but my vote for worst in recent memory is
Adam Oates for Maxime Ouellet, 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders in the 2002 draft

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
JNRhockeyGURU said:
parrish and kvasha for luongo and jokinen was pretty bad
but my vote for worst in recent memory is
Adam Oates for Maxime Ouellet, 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders in the 2002 draft

But at that point, wasn't Parrish a 25-goal man, and Jokinen was being called a bust by many?

NYIschremp44

Oct 25, 2003
NYC
Phil said:
But at that point, wasn't Parrish a 25-goal man, and Jokinen was being called a bust by many?

this is true, but isn't the point of this post not how trades appeared at the time, rather how they appear looking back on them from the present?
way off topic, but since he was involved in a trade and this isn't worth starting a new threat for...anyone have any idea why Boyes is still yet to see any games in the NHL?

HockeyGuy1011

Nov 14, 2003
the way the parrish-kvasha/luongo-jokinen deal looks now is going great for the cats, i guess thats why u gotta wait on some things...the panthers would have barely any wins at all if it wasnt for luongo, who is one of the best in the league (but faces the most shots) and jokinen has come around to an nhl all-star...that oates trade was also pretty bad...i guess bob clarke likes to make lime light moves

Liquidrage*

Some of you people have no idea just how good Lindros was for a few years it seems. Long enough at least to not say thats such a horrible trade. I would so not agree with that being the worst trade ever.

Lindros, before the lung collapse and the concussions was much better then Forsberg. He was the most dominant played in the NHL for most of his 8 years in Philly.
And dominant enough so that no one was complaining about the trade from a Flyers standpoint before the injuries. He played 7 good years in Philly (not counting his last year when things really went downhill even though he was still over a PPG). He avered 1.35 PPG as a Flyer. And as everyone knows (should at least) he brought a lot more to the table then points.

Did the trade help the Av's? Absolutely.
Did it help the Flyers? Up until the injuries it did.

I'm not really a huge Eric fan. In fact, I can't stand the way he punked out and tried to put all the blame on the organization even though he tried to hide symptoms. And his dad being his agent didn't help. But gawd, the man was awesome for a good many years.

st_roland

I disagree, even if Lindros never had his concussion problems, it would still be a terrible trade. For him, the aves eventually had: A superstar center, a franchise 3rd line forward who could play on the 2nd line as well, and a franchise goalie. The margin between Lindros at his peak and Forsberg at his peak is debatable. Even if it was Gretz, I'd rather have 2 awesome forwards and an awesome goalie. And it wasnt Gretz.

thestonedkoala

Let's see Thibault hasn't really developed into anything in Chicago. He was bounced around the league a bunch of times and caught a nasty injury virus.

Hextell soon left after that year...

Ricci stayed for a bit but his point production dropped each year.

Duchense left for the Blues after that year...

Huffman stayed for one year, injury or something but didn't play much and then bolted.

Simon looked like a role player...

Baumgartner never caught on and moved from team to team never setting foot for the Avs/Nordiques...

The one thing that this whole trade hinges on is the fact they traded Thibault for Roy...But Montreal was in a desperate situation there.

Basically the Avs got a bunch of rentals and one permnant, plus one of the greatest goalies ever in the NHL in this trade BUT that shouldn't be factored in. What is factored in are the players and the fact of the matter is, Quebec did get better for one year before the players bolted save for Forsberg.

Is it the worst trade? No

Is it a bad trade? Certainly but at least you get one of the best players in the 90s back for a long amount of time instead of a rental player that plays for a couple of games and then bolts to Anaheim, footing you with a bill of a solid goaltender and three good draft picks.

HockeyGuy1011

Nov 14, 2003
ok, say that the lindros trade never went down and lindros was on the avs and they never had anyone to trade for roy...would they still have won their cups?? DEFINITELY not...would philadelphia have won any cups with forsberg, plus their draftees? its a big possibility...would hejduk and tanguay developed the same without being under the wing of forsberg, i dont no...but i say that if you look from a past standpoint, the trade sucked, and if you look at it today, it still sucks

Liquidrage*

HockeyGuy1011 said:
ok, say that the lindros trade never went down and lindros was on the avs and they never had anyone to trade for roy...would they still have won their cups?? DEFINITELY not...would philadelphia have won any cups with forsberg, plus their draftees? its a big possibility...would hejduk and tanguay developed the same without being under the wing of forsberg, i dont no...but i say that if you look from a past standpoint, the trade sucked, and if you look at it today, it still sucks

You can't say definitely not.

Put a prime Lindros on that team, and realize they might have still be able to trade for Roy, and it doesn't look bad. Who knows who's in their system, and every system has a "best goalie prospect" anyways, so maybe they can stil pull it off.

Lindros was better then Forsberg, and so if they still have Roy, I say maybe then even win a few more potentially.

But it's all moot since it was Lindros that refused to play for Quebec and not the Nordiques that were wanting to trade him.

montreal25m

Jun 5, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
confused....

I thought it was Deadmarch who was one of the draft picks. Not sure, but wasn't Nolan Baughmgartner drafter by Washington in 1994. I know Deadmarch was drafter by the Quebec, I could be wrong. Anyway, it could have been one of those picks that were transfered around.

Liquidrage*

montreal25m said:
I thought it was Deadmarch who was one of the draft picks. Not sure, but wasn't Nolan Baughmgartner drafter by Washington in 1994. I know Deadmarch was drafter by the Quebec, I could be wrong. Anyway, it could have been one of those picks that were transfered around.

The pick was traded twice, the Flyers pick was eventually used to pick Baumgartner.

Deadmarsh was the 1993 draft and the Flyers pick that year was used to grab Thibault.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
HockeyGuy1011 said:

thanks

I would have to agree with this one, depends on how you look at it though for Quebec/Colorado this is possibly their BEST trade ever, for philly maybe the worst, see to every good there is an evil :D

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think the New York Rangers offer for Lindros might have been worse (or better) than the Flyers.

If I'm not mistaken, the deal was not done because the Nirdiques had already "accepted" the Flyers offer and it was too late.

I'm not sure exactly what the deal was--and perhaps some of you know exactly--but I'm pretty sure it included Tony Amonte, Doug Weight, Alexei Kovalev, Vanbiesbrouk, and a couple of 1sts.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
from a Flyers standpoint, the trade would be paying dividends for us right now. Lindros is 30yrs old now and these should have been "in his prime" years, so imagine what adding that type of player would do to the Flyers.

the Flyers have been a very good team for a few years now and are one of the top teams competing for a Cup every year, had Lindros continued his progression without the concussions, the Flyers might have a Cup and working on some more.

IMO, the injuries that Lindros suffered are what make this trade look bad from a Philly standpoint because he was everything that he was touted to be....the best player in the game and IMO, he was better than Forsberg. the injuries are what also contributed to the deterioration between the Flyers and the Lindros's.

easton122

May 14, 2003
USA
Visit site
Some of you guys may be a missing another big part of the Lindros trade. The Flyers needed someone to bring in fans and they new Lindros was the guy who could get that done very quickly. He did he brought new fans to Flyers games and for many years took the Flyers up the standings and into the playoffs. If Lindros never would of been injured and still playing amazing this deal would be even or possibly in the Flyers favor. The way it turned and and the way it is now with the Flyers ending up with Johnsson, Kapanen, and Brashear eventually from the Lindros trade and the Flyers always being a top 5 team in the East for a long time I still think this trade turned out pretty even. We ended up getting Hextall back and a lot of those guys in the deal never stuck with the Avs anyway so if you look at it really closely this could be one of the best trades for both teams in their history. Just because Forsberg developed the way he did in Quebec/Colorado doesn't mean he would of in Philly and that can be said about a lot of those prospects in that deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad