Best way to legally watch hockey outside of cable/satellite?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Looking to HFVan for assistance here.

In my house, we don't even watch the TV anymore outside of hockey, so naturally, the cable bill is proving too cumbersome an expense to float.

What is/are some legitimate, legal options for just watching hockey? My primary concern is being able to watch all the Canucks games - if I get NHL Center Ice, do I have any games that I'd be blacked out of watching?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013

In my house, we don't even watch the TV anymore outside of hockey, so naturally, the cable bill is proving too cumbersome an expense to float.

What is/are some legitimate, legal options for just watching hockey? My primary concern is being able to watch all the Canucks games - if I get NHL Center Ice, do I have any games that I'd be blacked out of watching?

Sportsnet NOW has been an excellent option since I cut cable. I have the app downloaded on my Xbox One

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
Get a Rogers Share Everything cellular plan and the NHL Gamecentre package is free every year. Then buy a $45 chromecast and watch HD games anywhere you want that you can connect to a wifi network.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Get a Rogers Share Everything cellular plan and the NHL Gamecentre package is free every year. Then buy a $45 chromecast and watch HD games anywhere you want that you can connect to a wifi network.

My friend in Toronto uses Gamecentre. She always seems to be lagging about a solid minute behind the televised game.

Would be a real pain in the ass if you lived in a building with other Canucks fans. During the playoffs in the past I could have told you who was scoring/winning based entirely off neighborhood sound. One jackass always liked sounding his airhorn whenever the opposition scored.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

Are you using a VPN? I thought they blacked out local games for this package...

Also anyone have any experiences with the other internet cable packages out there or kodi boxes?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
My friend in Toronto uses Gamecentre. She always seems to be lagging about a solid minute behind the televised game.

Would be a real pain in the ass if you lived in a building with other Canucks fans. During the playoffs in the past I could have told you who was scoring/winning based entirely off neighborhood sound. One jackass always liked sounding his airhorn whenever the opposition scored.

You wouldn't need to worry about that for at least 6 years

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008

Streams you find on the internet are technically legal and definitely free.

Lots of HD options out there

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

I've been pumping this since i got my Rogers phone. Had no idea it was included till after i signed up.. so i figured many others missed it as well. Also included in the Rogers plan - Free Spotify... and Texture (i haven't activated it yet - but if someone likes magazines - there's value there). I wonder what Telus and other others as perks?

Anyways.. Blackouts are and will be an issue and an annoyance if you are 100% reliant on Gamecenter. Wasn't a problem for me since i had cable or Sportsnet Now if i was out of the house.

I went to the Yotes-Canucks game in Az... later that night we wanted to replay a part of the game and couldn't cuz we ran into the Az blackout of the game.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009

If you get a Kodi box the NHL.tv add-on uses your Gamecenter account and has no blackouts.

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
I don't have cable, but my parents do. I got them to create a email address under their Shaw account. I use that email address to log into Sportsnet NOW. The Sportsnet NOW android APP allows you to send to a chrome cast, so I watch the game in HD on my TV.

I also have NHL Gamecenter with my Share Everything account. The NHL App also allows you to send to chrome cast. The quality is absolutely amazing (full 1080 60P), much better than the Sportsnet app or direct from Shaw/Telus. The only problem is that the I would say 60% of Canuck games are blacked out.

The biggest thing I missed about having a cable box, is the PVR aspect. Being able to easily record, pause , fast forward is dearly missed especially when you have a rugrat running around.

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver

Go to Reddit.

Search for Canucks Streams... profit.

It's not illegal to watch sports stream on the internet.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
I don't have cable, but my parents do. I got them to create a email address under their Shaw account. I use that email address to log into Sportsnet NOW. The Sportsnet NOW android APP allows you to send to a chrome cast, so I watch the game in HD on my TV.

I also have NHL Gamecenter with my Share Everything account. The NHL App also allows you to send to chrome cast. The quality is absolutely amazing (full 1080 60P), much better than the Sportsnet app or direct from Shaw/Telus. The only problem is that the I would say 60% of Canuck games are blacked out.

The biggest thing I missed about having a cable box, is the PVR aspect. Being able to easily record, pause , fast forward is dearly missed especially when you have a rugrat running around.

Get a Kodi box. No blackouts and uses your Gamecenter login.

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Technically watching third party streams is not Illegal

but if you want to pay for it I recommend Sportsnet Now(It has a free mobile app which works on chromecast and also can watch from your computer). No blackouts for Canucks and quality is very good, and I was able to cancel at the end of the season.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah I am looking too, I miss hockey Streams. wish they were still going. I may look into the rogers thing, I was looking at switching carries anyway.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
Yeah I am looking too, I miss hockey Streams. wish they were still going. I may look into the rogers thing, I was looking at switching carries anyway.

Forget Rogers. Through a loophole in the Koodo system you can get plans from other provinces. I'm currently on a $55 8gb/month unlimited Canada wide minutes plan from Quebec.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
I tried Kodi before. It still had blackouts and was pretty buggy. I'll give it another try next year.

Which add-on did you use?

I'm using the NHL.tv add-on in the official Kodi repository and it's been great for me. No problems during playoffs or anything.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

So that means gamecentre is probably good for the next 10 years. :) :( :baghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad