Best VAN draft picks, selections 1-30

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It would be interesting to start a new series of threads (one at a time) with a poll where we can vote on the best player we ever drafted (wether they ended up playing for us or not ) at round #9, #8, #7... and so on...

I guess that might be a little time consuming if there isn't a website that lists our draft history organized by rounds. I've been looking, but haven't found one yet.
As I noted in that thread, the data is there at HockeyDB, and I have organized it in Excel for everyone to ogle.

Picks are organized in groups of 30, rather than what round they were at the time (as though the league always had 30 teams).

They are color-coded for position, and ordered in descending number of games played.

Picks 1-30 (Current 1st round):

1-30-a_zpsqpss8hhp.png

1-30-b_zpsdkcrlso5.png

I have done this for each block of 30 -- do people want runoff polls like we do for prospect rankings? This one will obviously be the most hotly contested. Who is the best, for whoever they ended up playing?

EDIT: Or if we want to do this in descending order (so that first round comes last) we can start with Round 9 and scrap this one. But hint: Hansen has it running away.

Last edited:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Also, since some will undoubtedly claim either team or recency bias against those who vote for a Sedin over Neely, I invite them to consider the era that each played in, and how many of Neely's goals would be less automatic with today's level of defense and goaltending. He was a "disappointment" for the Canucks despite a 16-goal rookie season and 20-goal sophomore season, remember.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
No disrespect to Daniel Sedin but you can't say no to a HHOF bound franchise C.

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
Are we assessing by their value to Vancouver, specifically? Or their overall contributions to the league, regardless of whether that was in VAN or not?

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Are we assessing by their value to Vancouver, specifically? Or their overall contributions to the league, regardless of whether that was in VAN or not?
I was using Eddy Punch Clock's post as the springboard -- "Best player", whether or not they even played a minute for the Canucks. Technically this could be, like, Brock Boeser, but I am considering at least a de facto minimum of games played.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Tough call between Hank and Neely for me. Homer vote for Hank, for sure, although I also believe there's something to be said for having a lengthy career (which, I understand, can be impacted by the style of game one plays).

Kickassguy

High-End Intangible
Sep 24, 2002
Vancouver + NYC
I was using Eddy Punch Clock's post as the springboard -- "Best player", whether or not they even played a minute for the Canucks. Technically this could be, like, Brock Boeser, but I am considering at least a de facto minimum of games played.

Ah, gotcha.

Neely/Hank will be a tough call for most, I think. Went Neely but that may just be nostalgia.

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I voted Kesler but I misunderstood the question. I thought we were voting on which 1st rounder was the "best" pick, not which became the best player. Sedins were obvious picks at the time (so not best pick) but yeah, Henrik is the best player we've drafted in the 1st round. So ignore the tick beside Kesler.

And please remove Nedved. :shakehead :cry: :banghead: :facepalm: :pullhair:

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
Am I missing something? Why isn't Bure eligible for this thread?

Edit - I'm an illiterate.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Depends on the context. Either one of the Sedins are easily the best players we've drafted within the criteria, but Kesler or Schneider wins best value pick.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I still remember J.J. Daigneault's draft day selection - when he was in crutches. Seemed fitting for the Canucks (granted he did end up with a fairly lengthy NHL career).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad