Best VAN draft pick - selections 151-180

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Don't make this an age thing. I wasn't born when he last played for the Canucks. It's just about people being knowledgeable on Canucks history or not. Someone who became a Canucks fan later in life is just as pre-disposed to favour the more recent guys as a young lifelong fan.

Disagree (respectfully). I never saw Maurice Richard or Jean Beliveau play. I know they were great players. But, realistically, I would find it very difficult to place them in a rank order with players like Bossy, Dionne, Crosby etc. It's why I enjoy hearing the perspective of guys older than me who actually saw them play, saw their impact on a game, saw how the fans responded when they scored.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Disagree (respectfully). I never saw Maurice Richard or Jean Beliveau play. I know they were great players. But, realistically, I would find it very difficult to place them in a rank order with players like Bossy, Dionne, Crosby etc. It's why I enjoy hearing the perspective of guys older than me who actually saw them play, saw their impact on a game, saw how the fans responded when they scored.

OK.... not sure your point. You are still aware of the impact of Richard or Beliveau had on the game even if it is second hand information. That's my point. Just because someone is too young to see someone live doesn't mean they can't be aware of them and how good they were, or where they rank in a group among more recent players.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
OK.... not sure your point. You are still aware of the impact of Richard or Beliveau had on the game even if it is second hand information. That's my point. Just because someone is too young to see someone live doesn't mean they can't be aware of them and how good they were, or where they rank in a group among more recent players.

My point is that me being aware that players were good/great because of second hand information, stats, etc., isn't adequate for me to accurately rank them against players that I've seen play multiple times. Bieksa was a very popular Canuck, and for good reason. Harold Snepts was a likewise popular player back in the day. But if you were to ask a younger group of fans where they would rank them, I'm almost certain that Bieksa would win in a landslide.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
My point is that me being aware that players were good/great because of second hand information, stats, etc., isn't adequate for me to accurately rank them against players that I've seen play multiple times. Bieksa was a very popular Canuck, and for good reason. Harold Snepts was a likewise popular player back in the day. But if you were to ask a younger group of fans where they would rank them, I'm almost certain that Bieksa would win in a landslide.

OK but your saying something different than me here. You may not be willing or able to rank players you haven't seen play, but I am. I do enough research and look at the numbers and time appropriate accounts to feel confident in ranking them. You don't, and that fine.

My point regarding Bieksa vs. Snepts is that not everyone that is too young to watch the older player automatically picks the younger player. Last summer/fall I was a part of a project on the History of Hockey board that ranked the top 60 Wingers of all time. We had to go back and objectively rank guys like Tommy Phillips and Bill Cook among Jaromir Jagr and Alex Ovechkin. And I feel we did a pretty good job of doing so. It is possible, even if you don't feel comfortable doing so.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i remember skriko. bad team scorer.

i didn't see sundstrom in vancouver, remember him a bit with new jersey. but i think even though he held the points records for almost a decade before bure broke it, it's not like he even cracked the league's top 20 that year, and it wasn't like that 91 point season wasn't a gigantic outlier for his career. nor was sundstrom thomas gradin as far as i have ever heard.

i have no problem with bieksa over those two, in the same way as i'd take harry snepsts over either of those guys any day, or bieksa over vrbata.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
OK but your saying something different than me here. You may not be willing or able to rank players you haven't seen play, but I am. I do enough research and look at the numbers and time appropriate accounts to feel confident in ranking them. You don't, and that fine.

My point regarding Bieksa vs. Snepts is that not everyone that is too young to watch the older player automatically picks the younger player. Last summer/fall I was a part of a project on the History of Hockey board that ranked the top 60 Wingers of all time. We had to go back and objectively rank guys like Tommy Phillips and Bill Cook among Jaromir Jagr and Alex Ovechkin. And I feel we did a pretty good job of doing so. It is possible, even if you don't feel comfortable doing so.

I'm not sure I agree that it's possible to do enough research to make a proper comparison but, if it is, I'd say you'd be in the minority. The original point was that the comments didn't correlate with the poll results. In that context, I believe my point still holds.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I'm not sure I agree that it's possible to do enough research to make a proper comparison but, if it is, I'd say you'd be in the minority. The original point was that the comments didn't correlate with the poll results. In that context, I believe my point still holds.

Well I am proof you are wrong. I am too young to see him play, but I still voted for him. So it's not just old fogies voting for Sundstrom.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Well I am proof you are wrong. I am too young to see him play, but I still voted for him. So it's not just old fogies voting for Sundstrom.

I'm glad you're voting from a strong basis of knowledge - hope for us all....
But I expect the vast majority don't...
anyway, I think our points are slightly different and there's no point in going around in circles...it gets too confusing for us old guys ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad