Barcelona.
twitter.com
2zsz2w0.jpg

6qclc8.jpg

16lfxb7.jpg

30k6bkj.jpg

2nrkq6h.jpg

29fsco5.jpg

I'm trying to do a small article for an Spanish Website about the progress of the USA Under 18 Program and i need some help with some of the less-known prospects. I know that is hard to compare when some promotions have established NHL players and anothers only prospects, but my intention is to bring a general impression about all the promotions, if the progression is good or bad, and all about this program. I only put from 2005 to 2010 for the moment, but in the future i want to know more about the rest of the promotions to bring a better perspective.

Any kind of help will be much appreciated. Also if any player from that program went undrafted but he turned into a good player, or maybe great players who went undrafted and they never reached his goal. Any help. I know more about the players of 2009 and 2010, years when i started to follow the NHL Draft and that program, but earlier years, i have less information, and probably not really accurate.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
The first thing I'd say is you have to account for the late birthdate and underage players who've graduated from the program over the years. Guys like Phil Kessel, Pat Kane, Colin Wilson, Cam Fowler, Peter Mueller and Jordan Schroeder have been a huge part of the program.

I'd say that NHL scouts have done a very good job of picking the top players out of the program over the years. The only player who could be considered high end in the NHL this year who wasn't taken in the first few rounds is John-Michael Liles. There are some role players beyond that but all the best players were picked in the first few rounds.

The quality of the program in any given year is based entirely on the quality of players that that birth year has produced from youth hockey. The NTDP works with what it's given. I believe that the real critical stages of development for players happen well before they ever get the the NTDP. If the new American Development Model does the job of attracting and retaining top young talent and then developing their skills from a young age the program will reap the benefits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad