Best Sophmore Next Year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattintheHatt

May 31, 2005
Vancouver, BC
This thread kinda has one foot in Prospects board, one in the NHL talk board, if mods feel it should be moved they can.

But who do you think will be the best SECOND YEAR player in the NHL next year? We all know how Nash went from a pretty good rookie to an excellent sophmore, which rookie will make that next step and really step it up from what they did last year?

And on the flipside, who will experience the dreaded sophmore slump?

I think Nikolai Zherdev will follow in Nash's footsteps and become an excellent sophmore, especially with a full season in the NHL. I remember the last Canucks game vs the Blue Jackets last season...the canucks were leading 4-2 in the third, and Zherdev absolutly took control, had a coming out party...5-4 with 2 goals and 2 assists for Zherdev. He'll be a great player.

Other possibilities: Tuomo Ruutu, Joffrey Lupul

X0ssbar

No question - Zherdev.

Ruutu should give him a run. They'll both get plenty of ice time on their respective squads including first line PP duty.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Alex Semin had a monster year in the RSL, a great World Championship, and will be a consistent starter likely seeing time w/Ovechkin.

He's a contender here.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Well depending on whether we consider him a sophomore, Kronwall is a posibility. He will prob get a 4 or 3 spot on the Wings, and possibly get some good PP time depending onwho the Wings pick up on defense. I would not at all be surprised if he had a 30 point + year.

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site
Mattias Weinhandl....you heard it here first, although he "technically" wasn't a rookie last season, if you combine the games he played in his first season, plus his last season, I don't think its 82, so I'll throw him in this.

I think Zherdev will also really improve this coming season.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
WhitePony said:
Mattias Weinhandl....you heard it here first, although he "technically" wasn't a rookie last season, if you combine the games he played in his first season, plus his last season, I don't think its 82, so I'll throw him in this.

I think Zherdev will also really improve this coming season.
What line do you see him playing on.... for fantasy hockey purposes? ;)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
So everyone seems to agree on a candidates for the best sophomore. So how about the worst sophomore. Who will stumble into the sophomore slump?

If I were to pick someone, it would probably be either Andrew Raycroft or Michael Ryder. I really like both of these players, but I could see both having the highest stumbling potential seing as they may have both performed much better then people had envisioned for them.

BTW another good pick for a solid sophomore season would be Konstantiin Koltsov. He's going to get to play with either Mario, Sidney or perhaps Malkin, or maybe a combo of two of those guys. Thats a lot of playmaking skill to help him break out of the potential no hands department.

MattintheHatt

May 31, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So many good answers I almost forgot about.

Staal, Bergeron, and some of the defesemen like Hamhuis too.

Here's one, how about Paul Martin? He could have a huge role in NJ potentially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad