Best Shutdown Forwards

CanadianDevil*

Madden, Holik....

and the Mandolfoahan of Pandolfo-Madden-Shanahan this year.

(well not really but i just wanted to type Mandolfoahan.)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Tough to definitively put them in order without any thought, but here are my favourite 20, without nitpicking over the difference between defensive, shutdown, and two-way:

Frank Nighbor
Bobby Clarke
Craig Ramsay
Guy Carbonneau
Claude Provost
Jack Walker
Dave Keon
Bob Gainey
Marty Pavelich
Nick Metz
Esa Tikkanen
George Armstrong
Mike Peca
Jere Lehtinen
Joe Klukay
Woody Dumart
Don Luce
henrik Zetterberg
Frank Finnigan
Baldy Northcott

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I always thought Jere Lehtinen was overrated. For his era, I would take Peca over him.

Why, because he helped shut down the Oilers year after year? :laugh:

The man's won 3 Selke's, he's quite far from overrated IMO. Not the machine he once was, but definitely no slouch.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Tough to definitively put them in order without any thought, but here are my favourite 20, without nitpicking over the difference between defensive, shutdown, and two-way:

Craig Ramsay
Don Luce

Somebody remembers the 70's! Ramsay and Luce were the best PK unit i've ever seen and pretty dang good 2 way forwards at Even Strength as well.

On the PK it was almost like watching 2 guys do the job defensively that 3 ordinary forwards could have done- as far as defensive zone coverage goes anyway. Neither were much of an offensive threat but if you want to just shut down the other team's PP and then wait for the offensive guys to come back on.....they might have been the best of all time.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Somebody remembers the 70's! Ramsay and Luce were the best PK unit i've ever seen and pretty dang good 2 way forwards at Even Strength as well.

On the PK it was almost like watching 2 guys do the job defensively that 3 ordinary forwards could have done- as far as defensive zone coverage goes anyway. Neither were much of an offensive threat but if you want to just shut down the other team's PP and then wait for the offensive guys to come back on.....they might have been the best of all time.

I don't remember the 70s.... I just study a lot!

Luce and Ramsay were pretty good offensive threats, especially when you consider how rarely they got PP time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad