Best sentimental moments in Hockey

Ogopogo*

In 1987, after winning the cup and the team still on the ice celebrating, Marty McSorley skated over to the Zamboni entrance and put his arm around his crying father and skated with him over to the celebration on the ice. It was quite heartwarming.

Hawksfan2828

Mar 1, 2007
Libertyville, IL
What are oyur most memorable sentimental moments in the game? Classic tearjerkers or just heartfelt moments that made you glad to be a fan of the game

Here's some:

Ray Bourque accepting the Cup from Sakic in 2001. No one and I mean no one had any resentment for Bourque even in Boston. You knew Sakic being the class act he is would give him the Cup right away

Vlad Konstantinov celebrating with the '98 Wings

Ace Bailey telling Shore "Its just part of the game." (okay I know that no one saw this in 1934 but the story is a nice one)

Boom Boom Geoffrions' number being retired last year. It was a sad ceremony. Boom Boom died that morning (or late the previous night cant remember) and seeing his entire family there in Montreal was just touching. Imagine having your father die and then the same day having to watch his number get retired. It was sad to see his number being raised to the roof and seeing all of his grandkids crying in each others shoulders, what a night

Maruice Richard's 8 minute ovation at the closing of the Montreal Forum

I know there are others but that's just a few

Viewing old games from the old Chicago Stadium gets me warm inside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad