Best Revenge Movie

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Five more good ones (no order):

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Old Boy
The Secret in Their Eyes
( Argentina, 1992)
Irreversible
The Killing of a Sacred Deer

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Lots of good suggestions here. Get Carter is a pretty solid one. A real personal favorite -- Point Blank (and even the remake Payback ain't too bad).

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Killing of a Sacred Deer and Blue Ruin are the first two to come to mind

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The Count of Monte Cristo is the greatest revenge story ever told and the one made in 2002 is my favorite movie of all time.
There aren't many movies I will watch on a regular basis, but The Count of Monte Cristo is at least a yearly viewing. Such a great revenge story.

Also I laugh whenever I see young Henry Cavill on screen. Seems so weird to see him as a youngin considering how gigantic he is now.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
It starts and ends with Death Wish.
:laugh:

In all seriousness, it really depends on what you look for. If you want a straight-forward one with a lot of action sequences, there is Kill Bill and John Wick. If you want a good twist, Old Boy and Lucky Number Sleven will fulfil that quota. If you want see an art film, kihei's list will help.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
There aren't many movies I will watch on a regular basis, but The Count of Monte Cristo is at least a yearly viewing. Such a great revenge story.

Also I laugh whenever I see young Henry Cavill on screen. Seems so weird to see him as a youngin considering how gigantic he is now.

I have that on DVD and I have seen it many times such a good movie.

I watch it once a year with my fiancé too. Guy Pierce and Richard Harris were phenomenal supporting actors too which really helps. The story is such a classic and it’s one of the very few instances where I like the movie more than the book.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I will add, as unconventionnal revenge tales (but amazing films):

Revanche (Spielmann, 2008) - 9/10
Caché (Haneke, 2005) - 10/10

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Law Abiding Citizen is just an awful movie. I suppose from a strictly revenge perspective it accomplishes that but that movie will always stick out to me as completely awful.

Payback and Kill Bill were the two movies that came to mind for me.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Nevada Smith (Steve McQueen). Parents are killed and the rest of the film is tracking down the killers. Great film inspired the Kill Bill series.

Munich.

My Best-Carey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad