Best return for Canucks on Kesler, Schneider, Luongo

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
I would happily make the Luongo trade again if it meant keeping Schnieder. Dont like the Kesler deal.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
There was no reason to trade Schneider. There was every reason to trade the other two

This is a completely unknown to the fans. We don't know how Luongo wielded his NTC, or what sort of restrictions Aquilini put on retaining salary. The only facts is that Luongo fired his agent shortly after first making the request (amidst rumours that he nixed a Toronto deal because his agent said he could get him to Florida), and that buying out Luongo never happened.

That said, the poll is kind of slanted. We didn't trade Schneider for Bo Horvat, we traded him for the 9th overall pick. People on HFboards have this tendency to cherish draft picks for their unknown potential, but once the mystery box is open opinion on the value of that pick can sour real quickly. We saw this with Kesler back with the Philly offer sheet, and then again with Schneider as he was stepping into the league. Despite being 1st round picks themselves and having progressed exactly as one would hope, the fact that Kesler has the '3rd line center' label and Schneider a 'backup goaltender', many considered them worth no more than a 2nd rounder.

Seeing a similar thing with Horvat here, because he doesn't have the sexy upside of a Nichuskin or Maantha people are forgetting that he was a 9th overall pick, and that when Jersey gave up their pick those players were available to them.. To me the question between the Kesler or Schneider return comes down to a simple comparison: going into the draft could the Ducks have acquired the 9th overall for Bonino and the 24th? It's kind of close.

Shorthander

Apr 2, 2011
Considering how low Luongo's perceived value was around the league due to his contract, the return seemed pretty solid. Roster player and promising goalie prospect? Not bad.

Schneider return was good. When was the last time a goalie fetched a top 10 pick? Consider what kind of roster player one would have to receive to surrender a top 10 pick (in a good draft, no less) and I'd actually say the Devils overvalued Schneider. Nonetheless, I think many of us still wish Cory was here.

I'd say the Kesler return was the worst if only because Sbisa is currently a liability and not an asset, so it's a bit perplexing as to why we had to take him when we were already giving up the best player in the deal.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
This is a completely unknown to the fans. We don't know how Luongo wielded his NTC, or what sort of restrictions Aquilini put on retaining salary. The only facts is that Luongo fired his agent shortly after first making the request (amidst rumours that he nixed a Toronto deal because his agent said he could get him to Florida), and that buying out Luongo never happened.

That said, the poll is kind of slanted. We didn't trade Schneider for Bo Horvat, we traded him for the 9th overall pick. People on HFboards have this tendency to cherish draft picks for their unknown potential, but once the mystery box is open opinion on the value of that pick can sour real quickly.

we explicitly traded it for bo horvat, because the trade was done prior to the 9th overall pick.

we didn't trade kesler for mccann because we had no idea who would be available at the 24th OA

ostensibly the trade was contingent on A: horvat being available and B: mackinnon not falling to 9th or whatever the ****

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Wonder who Benning would have took between Horvat and VN last year at #9?

Someone has to ask this question one day.

He'll likely be polite and say Horvat regardless.

If he took Jared McCann over Ho-Sang I suspect he'd have taken Horvat over Domi/Nichushkin (McCann and Horvat projecting as 2 way forwards and Domi/Nichushkin/Ho-Sang potentially being offensive game-breakers)

MikeGillisslashAVfan*

There was no reason to trade Schneider. There was every reason to trade the other two

ehh i wasnt as sold on schnieder like everyone else was

two playoffs in a row he looked shaky

regardless of the teams infront of him or if he got every start

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
They were Pejorative Slured to trade Schneider. You don't just spend five years grooming a goalie into one of the best young starters in the game, only to turn around and deal him straight across for a 10th overall pick.....Taking a player who there are no guarantees will become an NHL regular, let alone a game breaker like Schnieder already was.

That trade has the real potential of ranking right up there with the worst trades in Canucks history. Gillis should have been skidded before he was ever allowed to pull the trigger on that one !

IMO the Luongo deal netted the best return. Do to his contract and age it was a plus just getting him off the books. Plus we got a prospect goalie and a contributing bottom six forward, who is fairly young and has size.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
They were [MOD] to trade Schneider. You don't just spend five years grooming a goalie into one of the best young starters in the game only to turn around and deal him straight across for a 10th overall pick who there are no guarantees will become an NHL regular, let alone a game breaker like Schnieder already was.

That trade has the real potential of ranking right up there with the worst trades in Canucks history. Gillis should have been skidded before he was ever allowed to pull the trigger on that one !

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDude008

Jan 5, 2014
i think i read it wrong, i was going value VS value (in what we lost VS what we gained)
chose Luongo (handcuffed but we got something.. i, like many, only wish it was a year earlier *and that we canned Gillis instead of AV that year)

for best player; i hope it's Horvat, or i'm never gonna let that trade go.

DoubleTrouble

Jun 18, 2010
Fraser Valley
vaperbc.com
Get rid of Luongo, whatever it took.

If Gillis was doing his job, Luongo would've been gone before the draft even started.

Lots of rumor around that Loungo made it very difficult for GMMG to trade him.. He wanted Florida and at the time Florida was losing money and the owner was trying to sell.. After the sale went through Tallon was able to pull the trigger to get Lou back... Once again it was this NTC that causes all sort of problems (never mind this contract and how the NHL ****ed us on it with the new CBA)

GMMG had no choice but to trade Schneider to make room under the cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad