Best return for Canucks on Kesler, Schneider, Luongo

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
So just curious as to what the consensus is on the best return for each of Kesler, Schneider, and Luongo for the Canucks. Also posted in General Poll section for wider view.

Kesler & 2015 3rd - Bonino, Sbisa, 1st 2014 (McCann) 3rd 2104 (ultimately Dorsett)

Schneider - 1st 2013 (Horvat)

Luongo & $800k retained - Markstrom & Matthias

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I see the Kesler return as being the best, based on the fact that Schnieder (rushed trade) and Luongo (not rushed enough) were sold well below what should have been. Benning did well to get what he did in that deal.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Kesler got the best value.

Luongo got the worst value in a vacuum.

Schneider got the worst value when you factor everything in.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Annoying how everyone cries about the Schneider return, the team trading goalie always loses
Examples
Devan Dubnyk to Nashville for Matt Hendricks
Cory Schneider for the ninth overall pick (Bo Horvat)
Jonathan Bernier for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, second-rounder
Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher, fourth-rounder
Steve Mason for Michael Leighton, third-rounder
Sergei Bobrovsky for second-rounder, two fourth-rounders
Anders Lindback (and Kyle Wilson) for two second-rounders, one third-rounder and Sebastien Caron
Tomas Vokoun for a seventh-rounder
Semyon Varlamov for first-rounder (Filip Forsberg) and second-rounder
Brian Elliott for Craig Anderson
Dwayne Roloson for Ty Wishart
Jaroslav Halak for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz
Kari Lehtonen for Ivan Vishnevskiy and fourth-rounder

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
So just curious as to what the consensus is on the best return for each of Kesler, Schneider, and Luongo for the Canucks. Also posted in General Poll section for wider view.

Kesler & 2015 3rd - Bonino, Sbisa, 1st 2014 (McCann) 3rd 2104 (ultimately Dorsett)

Schneider - 1st 2013 (Horvat)

Luongo & $800k retained - Markstrom & Matthias

does benning get docked for retroactively making gillis's return on luongo much much worse?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Annoying how everyone cries about the Schneider return, the team trading goalie always loses
Examples
Devan Dubnyk to Nashville for Matt Hendricks
Cory Schneider for the ninth overall pick (Bo Horvat)
Jonathan Bernier for Ben Scrivens, Matt Frattin, second-rounder
Ben Bishop for Cory Conacher, fourth-rounder
Steve Mason for Michael Leighton, third-rounder
Sergei Bobrovsky for second-rounder, two fourth-rounders
Anders Lindback (and Kyle Wilson) for two second-rounders, one third-rounder and Sebastien Caron
Tomas Vokoun for a seventh-rounder
Semyon Varlamov for first-rounder (Filip Forsberg) and second-rounder
Brian Elliott for Craig Anderson
Dwayne Roloson for Ty Wishart
Jaroslav Halak for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz
Kari Lehtonen for Ivan Vishnevskiy and fourth-rounder

i think the crying is mostly about him ever being traded at all.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Kesler got the best return.

Schneider trade was out of LF and was a dumb decision.

Luongo trade window closed and they still moved him, another dumb decision.

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
I don't know how anyone can possibly say Horvat is worse than Matthias plus Markstrom... Luongo clearly returned us the least.

Kesler and Schneider returned pretty similar value, IMO.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Kesler got the best return.

Schneider trade was out of LF and was a dumb decision.

Luongo trade window closed and they still moved him, another dumb decision.

What were they supposed to do? They had cap probs and 2 goalies .... couldn't give Lu away. The league fzcked the Canucks when they put the contract penalty clause in place.

I am glad that we are stockpiling talent finally, lets see where we're at in 3 years time as the sedins get ready to retire ....

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I voted Horvat. I still believe there are some of us who underrate his future. He will have the biggest impact and long term value to the organization over any of the other assets. Horvat for me is the best return and, when looking at how fast the team regressed do to age or other, was probably the smartest and best move GMMG ever made. Schneider would not have saved this team and probably walks to a contender next season. I still do that deal over 10/10 times.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
What were they supposed to do? They had cap probs and 2 goalies .... couldn't give Lu away. The league fzcked the Canucks when they put the contract penalty clause in place.

I am glad that we are stockpiling talent finally, lets see where we're at in 3 years time as the sedins get ready to retire ....

Get rid of Luongo, whatever it took.

If Gillis was doing his job, Luongo would've been gone before the draft even started.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
More assets isn't necessarily better. I'm not a fan of Bonino and Sbisa, and Sbisa actually feels like negative value to me.

I lean heavily to the 9th overall.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
The Luongo trade was by far the best. It got rid of the side show. It could not have happened a year earlier but if it had, everyone would have been pretty darn happy with that return.

Miller
Horvat
McCann
Bonino
Markstrom
Matthias
Sbisa
Dorsett

Schneider
Luongo
Kesler
2015 3rd
Salary Retention

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Kesler deal, most definitely. Two roster players and a first round pick. I'm surprised we even got that much with Kesler picking and choosing his destination, just ask Ottawa how they feel about the return on Spezza.

The Luongo deal was good but we were a little handcuffed by that contract. We got a great goalie prospect and a roster player, but still had to take back $0.8m on the deal.

The Schneider deal was....okay. We don't really know how it's going to play out just yet. 9th overall in a super-deep draft class isn't bad, but to this day it still feels like we gave up a LOT to get it.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Top 10 pick is better than anything else I see on the table so I'll go with that.

Also no cap dump (Sbisa)

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Luongo was done in Vancouver. It was either buy him out or trade him to Florida. In those circumstances, getting any useful assets back was an excellent deal even if the Canucks had to retain some salary. In purely hockey terms, it seems too early to make a judgement.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
schneider got the most value and good value for a goalie, but luongo was a grotesque abomination of a contract that we almost had to play out until the end. just getting rid of it was an accomplishment

so one of those two. i voted for the less represented one

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Schneider probably brought back the best player... but him being a solid #1 disipates the value of the trade a bit...

So my vote is for the return Kesler brought.. I'm convinced that in 2 years, this trade will look like an obvious win for Vancouver before McCann ever hits the Canuck roster.
I have very low expectations for what Kesler will do as 31 or 32+ yr old.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Wonder who Benning would have took between Horvat and VN last year at #9?

Someone has to ask this question one day.

He'll likely be polite and say Horvat regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad