Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hughes, 2024

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Miller, 2024

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
It never ceases to amaze me how little respect Daniel gets in this market. Daniel in 2011 had a wider margin over the 2nd place finisher in the league scoring race than Henrik did in 2010, won not only the Art Ross but the Pearson as most outstanding player in the league as voted by the players (who one might consider more knowledgeable than the Hart voters who don't actually play against any of the candidates.)

Further, in case anyone wants to refer to fancy stats, Daniel's CF%, CF%Rel, FF% FF%Rel and point shares in 2010-2011 were all better than Henrik's in 2009-2010 (cf Hockey-Reference). In case anyone wants to refer to team success, the Canucks had more success (both regular season and playoffs) in 2010-2011 (Daniel's most outstanding player season) then they did in 2009-2010 (Henrik's mvp season.)

Yet nobody asked "How can anybody have a better season when" Daniel "is the only one that was voted as league wide" most outstanding "player?"
Maybe this isn't fair, but Henrik beat out Crosby and Ovi when both had pretty good seasons, while in 2010-11 Ovi had a down year (by his standards) and Crosby missed half the season with concussion. Crosby was pacing for 120+ points that season when he got injured iirc. So it might be viewed that Daniel didn't beat the field as much as the field had issues that season.

Also Henrik was the first Art Ross and Hart winner of the franchise, so it's definitely going to be viewed more favorably to the next Art Ross winner.

The year Henrik won, Danny missed a lot of games so Hank had to kind of carry the team by himself.

Also Hank was the captain and a center, so there's always the "intangible" angle.

Both seasons are impressive, not much separate them. I give the slight edge to Hank just because he had to do it by himself for awhile in his win, and Crosby didn't miss half a season. Not to take anything away from Daniel though.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
hank '10 is tops followed by lu '07, but hughes '25 is gonna overtake them both

re: henrik over daniel - to me, the first art ross was that much more impressive because it was their ascent into elite player status, and because hank won it by transforming his game when daniel was hurt.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I think Daniel not winning the Hart really hurts people's perception of his season.

Perry went on an absolute burner to end the season and that narrative caught the media's attention.

Losing the Hart to a relatively weak winner historically makes Daniel's season look worse in retrospect.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
1......93-94 Bure it was him 60G47A and then Courtnall next at 70 points. and then cup final loss with 16G15A in 24 gms. he was unstoppable and an absolute terror shredding anyone.

2......06-07 Luongo 76 gms played. 47 wins. 0.941 playoff sv% second rnd loss.

3......23-24 Hughes. the story is not over yet.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think Daniel not winning the Hart really hurts people's perception of his season.

Perry went on an absolute burner to end the season and that narrative caught the media's attention.

Losing the Hart to a relatively weak winner historically makes Daniel's season look worse in retrospect.

I think Hanks season took a lot of the surprise of Daniels away, as well. Perry was good but Getzlaf was even better that year. Daniel should have won, but I think had he played more games Thomas should have won that season. I’ve never seen a goalie that unconventional that dominant since I wasn’t really around during Haseks prime.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
let us not forget that in the 18 games daniel was out henrik scored 10 goals

this is a dude who never even cracked 20 goals in any other season
That's true. I remember that run when Daniel went out...that was the moment that Henrik went from star/great player to unstoppable superstar. When he showed he could do it on his own. But he didn't slow down when Daniel came back, they were just intense for a 2-3 year stretch.

I still voted Luongo. His 2007 season had to be seen to be believed. Absolute dogshit team, the very definition of a one man team. Actually the Sedins were very good that year but nothing like they were going to become...just a solid first line. There was no second line, the defense was decent but nothing close to a star back there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad