Post-Game Talk (GBU): Best.Refs.Ever.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Speaking of Omark, if, at the 5 minute mark of the 1st, he actually saw McNabb with that cross-ice, no-look, backhand pass he made to his stick tape, we need to sign him immediately to a 15-year DiPietro contract. :sarcasm:

This. :yo:

Good:
The Swedes. Omark and Larsson made things happen. Larsson couldn't finnish, nor could the guys who were set up by Omark, but they both played really well. As did Enroth.

Bad:
The Germans. Sulzer helps the tank, but that's as useful as he gets. Ehrhoff has me worried, he's been pretty bad for a few games now.

Ugly:
Scott throwing the puck in the net. Expect him to have a call from Shanaban. Seriously, one of the most ridiculous penalties I've seen. I guess it's acording to the book but... Ridiculous.

Alternative story:

Good:
Enroths left hand post.

Bad:
Enroths right hand post.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
BdmgOTvIAAAg-I1.jpg:large

Zemgus attempting murder on Brian Campbell.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Some people never save for the future either, because spending the money now is so much more fun. #immediatesatisfactionatexpenseoflongtermgood
Nice hashtag #skwantossaurus
I'm aware of the specific rule regarding SO/PS goals, but you're stating the very reason I don't like it. You're calling a shot off the post a continuation of the initial shot and making it analogous to the other situations you mentioned. Again, I know the rule basically equates it as you do, but I don't. Why? Because it hit the post and bounced back in the other direction. Play over. Otherwise we're rewarding a guy for missing and penalizing a goaltender for not controlling the puck (which I'm fine with if it's the goaltender who contacts the puck first). If the puck was going wide and it hit the goalie's glove and bounced in? No problem. The goalie should be penalized and that counts as a shot on net. A post doesn't. In a game situation it will be a shot if it then bounces in, but in a SO that's a key difference IMO as it wasn't a shot on goal initially. The goalie did his job, and the play should be over.

Look, I can't state this clearly enough. I 100% understand and respect both the rule and your opinion. I get it. I completely get what you're saying, and you probably can't understand how I can differentiate between a puck hitting a post and it hitting off a goalie's glove, for example. I've heard many other arguments as well, such as the goalie needs to be in control of his space and rebounds therein, even after the shot is taken, plus others. I've heard analogies about playing lets on serve in tennis (?). I get it. I swear I get it. And more importantly, despite all the time I've spent writing on this, it's really not that big a deal to me. I just mentioned it almost in passing as a little pet peeve.

What if it hits the inside of the post, then the other post, then in? Post to post happens. How can you differentiate? See what I'm saying?

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
You folk realize, despite the multitude of such comments, that one point isn't going to matter in the end?

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
What if it hits the inside of the post, then the other post, then in? Post to post happens. How can you differentiate? See what I'm saying?
I do see what you're saying. I already addressed it (good goal):
I'm not saying the SO goal has to be clean. I'm specifically talking about it bouncing off the post, off the goaltender, then in. Off the crossbar and into the net? Fine. But when it hits the post and bounces back out, in a SO or penalty shot when there's no game continuation, I'm of the mind that the play is over.
Why? Because it hit the post and bounced back in the other direction. Play over. Otherwise we're rewarding a guy for missing and penalizing a goaltender for not controlling the puck (which I'm fine with if it's the goaltender who contacts the puck first).
As you can maybe tell, I've had this discussion many times in the past and I've heard all of the counters and all of the what ifs. The specific scenario I've illustrated is just that--specific. It's actually quite easy to differentiate. I think I explained it about as well as I could in my other posts, and I have no problem if you don't agree with it. Most don't, and the rule backs you up.

And just to re-state, while you may not believe me as I keep spewing my drivel, it's really not a big deal to me, just a very specific aspect of a rule I find to be contextually unfair. It reared its ugly (in my view) head again yesterday, so I mentioned it, seemingly in passing. But at this point, the depth of my regret for having done so can't be measured by today's instruments.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Good:
Omark - I think at one point had the puck on his stick along the boards and Lacrosse style threw it in front of the net.
Pysyk
Girgensens outside of his one turnover in the defensive zone.
McBain
Larsson

Bad:
Everyone else

Ugly:
Enroth's MO - Shoot High Glove. ALL game long Florida was shooting there hence, why the hit the same post over and over again. He has the quickness and the clam demeanor to succeed, but due to his size he will be nothing but a backup at best.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Good:
Omark - I think at one point had the puck on his stick along the boards and Lacrosse style threw it in front of the net.
Pysyk
Girgensens outside of his one turnover in the defensive zone.
McBain
Larsson

Bad:
Everyone else

Ugly:
Enroth's MO - Shoot High Glove. ALL game long Florida was shooting there hence, why the hit the same post over and over again. He has the quickness and the clam demeanor to succeed, but due to his size he will be nothing but a backup at best.

....ugly? For the longest time his "MO" was 5 hole. Sure, he had a lot of luck from the posts but 1 GAA in 65 minutes of hockey, that's hardly ugly.

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Can we ****ing please stop gaining these useless points? Start losing in regulation or we will go from picking 1-2 to picking 5 or 6.

Nearly impossible that would happen. Projecting current standing and points, the 5th or 6th worst team will finish with 74 or 75 points. The Sabres currently have 29 points and would need at least 45 with only 39 games left. Even if they were to get a point in every remaining game they have, which should be noted is not going to happen, they would probably finish no worse than 3rd.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Good:
Omark - I think at one point had the puck on his stick along the boards and Lacrosse style threw it.

Yep, I saw that too. I laughed. I hope that what we saw last night was Omark getting comfortable with his team, his coach and his situation. I think he's been overthinking things, trying to keep it simple and... boring, but that's just not Omark.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
B:
Ott 1 win, 7 losses on faceoffs

Anyone notice Konopka took the most faceoffs (14). He took defensive zone faceoffs a bunch of times and then went to the bench right away.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
....ugly? For the longest time his "MO" was 5 hole. Sure, he had a lot of luck from the posts but 1 GAA in 65 minutes of hockey, that's hardly ugly.

I wasn't saying Enroth was ugly, I was just saying the fact that if you went high glove side you most likely we beating Enroth, and it seemed ALL the Panther players were doing was aiming there, that was ugly.

olliho

Apr 1, 2008
John Scott is the Tankcommander, every Game 1 or 2 absolutly stupid penalties. :sarcasm:

Apr 5, 2011
Newcastle, England.
G: Omark impressive until Jovocop destroyed him.
Larsson despsite lacking finish
Scott throwing the puck:sarcasm:
Girgensons was nice down low with the puck and made some nice takeaways
Enroth for the most part

B: The post stopped us from a nice tank game.
Some penalty decisions

U: Ennis at times; forcing it and turning over the puck
Sulzer, dear god, Fanned on so many pucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad