Best playoffs scenario for Oilers

Oilrider

Jul 5, 2011
Mostly Edmonton
What are you cheering for to happen in the playoffs because it may benefit the Oilers?

For example, im cheering against the Islanders because i'd like a Hamonic trade to be as easy as possible.

A trade my also work out if St. Louis loses in the first round again and they need to shake it up, so I'm cheering for that as well.

Anyone else?

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
In the West I think San Jose, Minnesota and Anaheim losing in the first round would also contribute to more player movement this summer. In the East I believe the Rangers and Tampa losing first round will also be more helpful in loosening things up more too.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
NYI and ANA to have quick exits (Hamonic and Vatanen). I'd also like to see the Blues choke so that perhaps Armstrong would entertain a Pie trade.

SJ losing could mean a retool for them (Burns)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Wild and Blues losing in the 1st round are probably the Oilers best bets for a d-man shaking loose outside of Hamonic.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Yeah hoping for the Isles and Blues to both lose. With Keith back I don't think the Blues stand a chance. Chicago gave them all they could handle without their 30 minute top 5 D man. He pushes the play and keeps the minutes of their bottom pair way down.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
NYI and ANA to have quick exits (Hamonic and Vatanen). I'd also like to see the Blues choke so that perhaps Armstrong would entertain a Pie trade.

SJ losing could mean a retool for them (Burns)

If Hamonic and Vatanen are going to be on the market, I don't think their respective teams' playoff fortunes will change that. As for Burns and Petro, I think most GMs are too smart to make rash, franchise-altering decisions over small sample sizes like the playoffs. St. Louis would certainly look at moving Shattenkirk or J-Bo before Petro. No way San Jose moves Burns, he's exactly the guy you keep around to guide the next generation, it would be idiotic to move him.

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
Hopefully at some point during the playoffs Burns is forced into slavery working to cut the wroshyr trees, then McDavid frees him and Burns swears a life debt to him and comes to play for the Oilers.

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
I hope that the Penguins go deep and Schultz contributes heavily. I want the rest of the GM's to have confidence in the idea that our trash is potentially their treasure.

Dan403

Apr 2, 2014
Minnesota winning would hurt the Flames. Dallas' 2nd wouldn't become a 1st.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Blues lose in 5, causing a massive uprooting of the team
NYI bounced in 1st round
Dallas bounced in 2nd round (So Demers/ Goigoloski dont get all sentimental after a cup run and resign)

Evilsports

Aug 18, 2015
Hopefully at some point during the playoffs Burns is forced into slavery working to cut the wroshyr trees, then McDavid frees him and Burns swears a life debt to him and comes to play for the Oilers.

I like this plan, but with Doughty as well.. Drew could join McDavid's commune out by Sylvan Lake.

12994339_10207783005066495_256816232968905834_n_zpsbl5xxsqt.jpg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I look at some positives. A guy like Trocheck continuing to do well, guys like Nichuskin or Sheahan having a massive playoffs. Essentially young RFA's forcing their current GM to move them or someone else of value.

While getting guys that are bounced early is appealing we would be ending up with guys that couldn't help their current team make the next step. I mean don't we want guys that knows what it takes? Not guys that know how to get bounced in round one the Islanders and Blues.

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I look at some positives. A guy like Trocheck continuing to do well, guys like Nichuskin or Sheahan having a massive playoffs. Essentially young RFA's forcing their current GM to move them or someone else of value.

While getting guys that are bounced early is appealing we would be ending up with guys that couldn't help their current team make the next step. I mean don't we want guys that knows what it takes? Not guys that know how to get bounced in round one the Islanders and Blues.

When Seguin comes back (probably tomorrow) he is most likely in the press box.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When Seguin comes back (probably tomorrow) he is most likely in the press box.

Which is fine, but there's a lot of guys that fit this bill. Heck you get someone that's still under contract for a year making less than 2 or 3 mil and maybe you are moving that 5-6mil player that everyone thinks is safe.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
im the opposite of others here im hoping the islanders win a round or 2 and okposo and neilsen are hot fire. ..then i hope they go UFA so the isles realize they need a sniper to play with JT.....knock knock heres eberle for hamonic

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012

McDavid is more of a Luke than a Han. Hall is closer to Han. Gretzky is Anakin/Vader of course.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I feel this thread is the equivalent of a vulture circling a poor soul about to expire in the desert.

Getting ready to pluck the juicy eye ball from a fresh corpse.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
St. Louis going up 3-1 is huge. If Chicago comes back, it's probably the most agonizing in a string of first-round failures for them. If Chicago loses, they might have to start their mini-retool/rebuild immediately. Either way, there are dominoes in play that could end up directly or indirectly helping the Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad