Best playoffs in history?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
1994. Messier's promise, NYR vs. NJ, MATTEAU!! McLean's legendary save, Bure's legendary goal, best finals in history, Bure penalty shot on Richter, McLean in game 1 of the finals making 51 saves, and ending in the Cup coming back to New York after 54 years.

heutZe

Sep 15, 2010
Norway
I remember '93 being a pretty good year. Some long and exciting series, some upsets and some controversies along with the Canadiens OT runs. The Stanley cup finals that year was probably one of the best finals that did not go 7 games.

Recently, I think 2009 was great! The best playoffs post-lockout.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I'll toss out another vote for 1994 (although I was a huge Vancouver fan at the time, so I'm admittedly biased).

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I remember '93 being a pretty good year. Some long and exciting series, some upsets and some controversies along with the Canadiens OT runs. The Stanley cup finals that year was probably one of the best finals that did not go 7 games.

I was going to say that as well. It's probably at least partly nostalgia talking but it was a great season and great playoffs.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Some that come to mind immediately:

1993: LA-TOR, PIT-NYI, the great run by MTL
1994: NYR-NJ, VAN-CGY, BUF-NJ, NYR-VAN
2001: LA-DET, NJ-TOR, PIT-BUF, COL-LA, COL-NJ, the whole Bourque storyline

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
1984 - Morrow's overtime goal vs. Rangers, the Good Friday Massacre with Montreal/Quebec, Edmonton vs. Calgary, the Cup final with the end of a rivalry and the beginning of another

1987 - The Easter Epic, the Montreal/Philly pregame brawl, a great final with Edmonton and Philly, the Anderson goal to seal the deal

1991 - Edmonton vs. Calgary, Pietrangelo save vs. New Jersey, Mario's utter dominance, Mario's goal vs. Minnesota, Pittsburgh vs. Boston (yeah I know Neely fans, but it was still a good series), Edmonton/LA with lots of overtime and Gretzky against his old team again

1994 - as mentioned in the other post, pretty much sums it up. Love the Bure elbow though

2004 - The leadership of Iginla, the improbably Cooke goal followed by the magic of Gelinas, Richards' game winners, lots of overtime in general, Tampa's big three, Toronto vs. Ottawa, Toronto vs. Philly, Tucker's hit on Kapanen, a classic final with a controversial no goal (no Flames fans it wasn't in), overtime goal to extend series (Martin St. Louis)

2009 - Textbook playoffs. Game 7 overtime with Carolina/Boston, very underrated series with Carolina/New Jersey, Pittsburgh/Washington highlighting the Crosby/Ovechkin rivalry and was arguably the most offensively exciting series I've seen, great final with a rematch, the Fleury save on Lidstrom

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
1989 had several compelling storylines:

- Calgary has a monster season and is the Cup favorite, yet is taken to 7th Game OT by Vancouver.

- Phil Esposito inserts himself as Rangers coach right before the playoffs, and the team responds by losing 4 straight.

- Wayne Gretzky, in his first playoffs with Los Angeles, ends up facing his old team and defending Cup champion Edmonton in a 1st round series that goes 7 games

- Mario Lemieux's first year in the playoffs, and he doesn't disappoint. But after an amazing 8 point performance in Game 5 vs. Philadelphia, the Flyers shut him down in Games 6 and 7.

- Ron Hextall goes nuts and attacks Chris Chelios.

- The two best teams in the league, Montreal and Calgary, meet in a very well-played entertaining Cup Final which Calgary wins. Lanny McDonald scores a key goal in Game 6 to help win his first Stanley Cup in his last NHL game.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Shouldn't we wait until, oh, at least one of the games has been played first?

I mean, this *is* the History forum. ;)

... but we are on HockeysFUTURE, am I right?

I'll call it now. The 2261 playoffs are the best. Zorbak Geoffrion III for Conn Smythe.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
1994 pained me as a Devils fan, but it is always mentioned among the legendary ones.

Messier's guarantee, Bure's penalty shot in, Game 7 wins in both the ECF and finals for a team that hadn't won the Cup in 54 year.

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
1989 had several compelling storylines:

- Calgary has a monster season and is the Cup favorite, yet is taken to 7th Game OT by Vancouver.

- Phil Esposito inserts himself as Rangers coach right before the playoffs, and the team responds by losing 4 straight.

- Wayne Gretzky, in his first playoffs with Los Angeles, ends up facing his old team and defending Cup champion Edmonton in a 1st round series that goes 7 games

- Mario Lemieux's first year in the playoffs, and he doesn't disappoint. But after an amazing 8 point performance in Game 5 vs. Philadelphia, the Flyers shut him down in Games 6 and 7.

- Ron Hextall goes nuts and attacks Chris Chelios.

- The two best teams in the league, Montreal and Calgary, meet in a very well-played entertaining Cup Final which Calgary wins. Lanny McDonald scores a key goal in Game 6 to help win his first Stanley Cup in his last NHL game.

This.

As a Rangers fan I am partial to 1994, but 1989 was just tremendous from a pure hockey standpoint.

The Philly-MTL CF gets little praise but those were two excellent battle-tested hockey teams, while people forget that Calgary was probably a better team in 1988 than 1989 and were on a mission.

And the two Smythe opening round series are probably two of the top 25 playoff series of all time for several reasons.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Also enjoyed the breakaway glove save on Ovechkin very early in game 7. That set the tone for the game.

Come to think of it, Fleury had a ton of huge saves that postseason. He robbed Cleary on a breakaway at the end of Game 6 in the final. That was a game that had you reaching for the rolaids. Plus he made a key toe save on Carter in Game 2 vs. the Flyers and a clutch save on Staal (although Carolina was never in that series). No doubt about it, he made some clutch eye popping saves which is what he is capable of doing sometimes

Axxellien

Jun 23, 2009
Sherbrooke, Quebec
Best Played:

..1957-58 Finals..Return MTL-BOST. Confrontation... Very Intense, dramatic, epic.. Best played Hockey Series....7 Game back and forth slugfest: TOR=BOST. 1959 Semi-Finals..Perfect example of what ken Dryden termed 1950`s Fortress Hockey...Two big strong teams giving it all they had..REAL Hockey!

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
1986 had some great series and story lines. A rookie Roy winning the Conn Smythe and beating Hartford in game 7 OT. The Flames beating the dynasty Oilers in 7. The Blues went to 7 with the Leafs and the Flames. The Rangers upset the Flyers. There were a lot of upsets that year.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Last years playoffs had some pretty exciting stories.
93 might take the cake tho.
2007 wasn't bad either.

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
Can't believe people mentioned 1994 and didn't mention one of the biggest upsets ever in the Sharks beating the Red Wings. It was almost unimaginable at the time that the lowly Sharks would even have a chance.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
Partly out of nostalgia since it was the first season I really started following hockey, but 1993:
Habs winning the Cup over Gretzky's kings, Desjardin's hat trick, Roy playing superhuman, the series against the Nords
The Isles upsetting the defending champs (Pittsburgh)
The Leafs Cinderella run
Cujo's Blues stoning the heavily favored hawks in the first round
The Great One playing in the finals for what would turn out to be the last time in his career

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
As a Habs fan, 93 will always be memorable. But what about 71?

Habs over Bruins in one of the biggest upsets ever.
Hawks and Rangers play a hard fought 7 game semi-final, with 3 games going to OT, including a 3 period OT in game 6
Habs beat the Hawks in a super close 7 game final, including the Habs coming back from being 2-0 down in the series, and 2-0 in game 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad