Best playoff series ever?

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Homer pick: Buffalo/Ottawa in 1997

These two teams met on the final day of the regular season - Ottawa needed a win to secure a playoff berth, and pulled off a 1-0 nailbiter of a win on home ice, capping a 9-3-2 run in the final 14 games to vault into the playoffs for the first time.

The teams split the first two games, heading to Ottawa. Games three and four were fraught with controversey - Dominik Hasek pulled himself in game three with a sprained MCL, but it was widely believed that he was bailing, and not nearly as badly injured as it was believed (he attacked a journalist after game 5 who had accused him of faking the injury, and was suspended for three games). The Sabres would win game three with a goal in the dying seconds of regulation.

In game four, an Ottawa goal was not counted because the video replay equipment in the arena had broken, and it was not discovered that the goal was legitimate until after play had resumed. The game was scoreless going into overtime, with Alfredsson netting the dramatic OT winner.

The Sens dominated game five back in Buffalo to put the Sabres on the ropes, but they shut Ottawa down in game six, to force a deciding seventh game. Ottawa had a 2-1 lead in the third period - on a faceoff to the right of Ron Tugnutt, Alexei Yashin flipped the puck back on the draw, right into the top corner of his own net to tie the game at two. The game went to overtime, where this happened:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
My personal favourite might still be that Leafs/Islanders bloodbath from 2002. For first rounders at least.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Edmonton-Dallas 1997 is my personal favorite. A 7 game war with plenty of overtime finishes and changes in the series momentum. The exclamation point came when Joseph robbed Nieuwendyk in OT and then seconds later Marchant buried the series winner on a breakaway.

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
What playoff series do you think was the best ever?

For me it would be Rangers-Devils in 94

I'm with you on this, Games 2 and 5 where essentially blow outs, but every other game in the series, one bounce and history changes.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
1987 Oilers-Flyers finals was the best finals series I've seen.

Hockeynomad

Sep 10, 2007
Toronto
Best playoff series? Oh, I've seen a few.

1971 Quarter finals between Montreal Canadiens and Boston Bruins.

The Bruins were heavily favored to not only win but sweep the series which the Habs won in seven.

A young goalie with just 6 NHL games under his belt got the call to goaltend the Habs. Ken Dryden. And now you know the Rest of the story.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I would have loved to watch the 1954 Stanley Cup finals, featuring the the Detroit Red Wings (at the end of their dynasty) and the Montreal Canadiens (just before the start of theirs).

The series lasts seven games; two of the matches, including game seven, goes into overtime. Tony Leswick, the antagonistic defensive forward, scores the Cup-winning goal.

The matchup features Sawchuk vs Plante, Kelly vs Harvey, Howe vs Richard/Geoffrion, Delvecchio vs Beliveau, Lindsay vs Moore, etc. Six of the league's ten post-season all-stars, and each of the league's top seven scorers, play in this series.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Best playoff series? Oh, I've seen a few.

1971 Quarter finals between Montreal Canadiens and Boston Bruins.

The Bruins were heavily favored to not only win but sweep the series which the Habs won in seven.

A young goalie with just 6 NHL games under his belt got the call to goaltend the Habs. Ken Dryden. And now you know the Rest of the story.

'Kay there, gramps :D:sarcasm:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That I've seen?

Montreal vs. Boston, take II (just before the lockout).

Otherwise, I would really like to see Detroit vs. Montreal '54 (as said HO) and Montreal vs. Boston, 1971.

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
Bruins/Habs '88.

Cam and Ray finally lead the B's to a playoff victory over the Canadiens; ending 45 years of frustration.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Homer picks

Carolina vs Montreal 2002
Carolina vs Toronto 2002
Carolina vs Montreal 2006
Carolina vs Buffalo 2006
Carolina vs Edmonton 2006

The last one is a pretty legit choice for an exciting playoff series for everyone I think.

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
The battles between the Redwings and the Avalanche during a stretch between 1996-2002 were awesome. They meet 5 times during this time in the post-season and these series were wars (together they won 5 SC´s during this stretch).

/Cheers

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach
Carolina vs Edmonton 2006

The last one is a pretty legit choice for an exciting playoff series for everyone I think.

I thought that series was dreadfully boring. Mostly Edmonton's fault, though.

The battles between the Redwings and the Avalanche during a stretch between 1996-2002 were awesome. They meet 5 times during this time in the post-season and these series were wars (together they won 5 SC´s during this stretch).

/Cheers

My picks. Any time the Avs and Wings met in the playoffs, you knew you were in for some highly skilled hockey mixed in with a lot of bad blood.

TrevorLinden16

Jan 23, 2008
Vancouver, BC
the entire 1994 playoffs. Not just because I'm a canucks fan. Sabres/Devils with the young Brodeur and Hasek, Rangers/Devils, and of course the Canucks cinderella run.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
So you never ACTUALLY SAW O6 hockey, the greats like Maurice Richard, etc.

Nice to know.

I did saw some of them. Just not THAT/THOSE rounds. Well, for '54 anyways. Did see some of '71 (2 games) but didn't see it throughout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad