Best playmaking prospect in this years draft?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Duchesne and Schroeder are probably reasonably close in terms of pure playmaking. Duchesne was voted best in the OHL by the coaches, and Schroeder is probably the best in the NCAA.

Guys like Kane, Kadri, and yes, Tavares, are also at least in the conversation.

Cool Hand Luke

May 27, 2008
... Tavares?

After watching the Windsor-London game yesterday, I can't see that. Tavares didn't pass the puck once, he's a puck-shooting machine. I'm sure that a large majority of his assists this year were from other people putting in his rebounds.

What about Schenn? I've heard he is quite a good passer.

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
My impression at least is that playmaking is not the primary attribute associated with ay of the top prospects in this draft (which is not to say that they can't be very good playmakers of course). Schenn seems to be the one where this is most frequently mentioned - not to forget Paajärvi-Svensson, who has shown some real gems in this regard.

Glennie seems a playmaking type though, also Ellis and Josefsson.

cheers

Ten

Apr 25, 2007
Toronto.
Schenn is the best of the WHLers available. Right up there with Duchene IMO.

Sample:

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Best playmaking prospect in the draft and we are 10 posts in and havent seem MPS's name mentioned yet? Really? I have to think he is the best playmaking forward in the draft.

Tavares pure goals
Duchene great all around game
Kane better goal scorer
MPS not as highly regarded at goal scoring but big time playmaker in the future.

I could see an argument for Schroeder as well but no way do i have him above MPS.

Maybe it just depends on your definition of playmaker, if your talking about a guy whos going to do the dirty things and die for your team than its Schenn, if your talking about someone whos gonna make the gorgeous play and set someone up for an open netter its MPS.

whitesox_2000_22*

Nazem Kadri...gets in trouble sometimes cause he passes to much!

Qvist

Apr 14, 2009
Best playmaking prospect in the draft and we are 10 posts in and havent seem MPS's name mentioned yet?

Er, I for one did mention him actually.

cheers

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I will go with Tavares as well. Although I totally understand how some people would be baffled by that selection... the way he is playing since coming to London and to a somewhat similar extent the way he played for Team Canada are examples of Tavares mostly in his pure sniper mode. But if anybody watched him over the previous season and a half in Oshawa, where he played a much more rounded game with vastly greater responsibility for carrying the puck and making plays, I think you'd agree that his name is at least worthy of mention in this category. Last year, I said he was the best passer in the entire OHL. I don't see him doing it as much now. But I doubt the skill goes away. He's playing a different game again now, that's all.

ikonos

Jun 24, 2008
A pure statistics based way of deciding this is if a player has about 1.5 to 2 assists for every goal he scores and is involved in more than 50% of the goals scored when he is on the ice. Is that ratio is less than 1 then he is not a play maker but rather a scorer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad