Best players of the playoff series #3

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I feel like there's quite a bit of recency bias in picking Andersen second. Last two games were terrific, but pretty much every metric had him performing at slightly above league average over the course of the series.

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
I feel like there's quite a bit of recency bias in picking Andersen second. Last two games were terrific, but pretty much every metric had him performing at slightly above league average over the course of the series.

Stats lie. He kept us in every game. He's the reason the series was an overtime decision make no mistake about it

TMLife*

Auston Matthews
Jun 16, 2010
Victoria, BC
If you really think Andersen wasn't amazing, then I'll say you haven't watched much hockey. He's the best goalie I've seen suit up for leafs in more than a decade easily.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Fun idea - thanks for this:
Matthews
Andersen
Gardiner
Rielly
Nylander
Kadri

Is my order, gets interesting from there

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If you really think Andersen wasn't amazing, then I'll say you haven't watched much hockey. He's the best goalie I've seen suit up for leafs in more than a decade easily.

I guess you didn't watch the lock out shortened season.

Reimer carried that team to the playoffs and to game 7 nearly all by himself. The team in front of him wasn't anywhere as good as this one.

Andersen is good but let's not go overboard.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
My pick is not there to vote.

Top 5 for me:
Matthews
Rielly
Andersen
Gardiner
Kadri

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

I think he was fantastic for the most part. His stats got skewed with the 3(?) terrible goals he let in. Personally think he was #1, but #2 is good for me.

As for the poll, I pick Gardiner - he was absolutely fantastic. Nylander next, but he could easily take this spot as well.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
I think he was fantastic for the most part. His stats got skewed with the 3(?) terrible goals he let in. Personally think he was #1, but #2 is good for me.

As for the poll, I pick Gardiner - he was absolutely fantastic. Nylander next, but he could easily take this spot as well.

But that's part of the game - and part of the reason we lost. It didn't "skew" his stats, it was a major contributor to what is rightfully perceived as an average performance.

Frederik Andersen made some big saves but many of the goals he allowed at key moments were incredibly suspect. To me, this equates to an average playoff performance. This is supported by his .915SV% which is generally considered league average save percentage (.910% to .915%) but upon further review, is actually 16th among the 19 goalies who suited up this postseason - or 14th among the 16 goalies who suited up for 4 or more games.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

Based on some of the comments in the playoffs threads, it seemed like some of our fans didn't want to believe we were really playing Caps nearly dead-even(*), so it had to be our goalie carrying us.

(*) Caps did have an edge in PP and a small edge in scoring chances - that's the two things that probably won them the series.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Gardiner should've been #2 but I will vote for him again here.

Agreed. Andersen played really well overall but that softy OT winner in game 1 was super costly, as was his pitiful performance in game 4, which cost us that otherwise winnable game. Those were two pretty big swing points in the series.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Cant go wrong with either Gardiner or Rielly.

What really impressed me with Rielly is that he played coming off a high ankle sprain. That is a difficult injury to overcome, even when you can tolerate to play it still takes 4-6 months and the pain can still linger.

What Gardiner did is incredible and can go either way but i am more impressed with Rielly; tied for the lead in playoff points on the team, the injury and still was ONLY 22 during the playoffs. That's nuts.

22 years old and has over 300 games under his belt. He had an up and down year but this year was eye opening for me. He can no doubt be a defensemen we can rely on - definitely a number 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad