Best players in NHL history(numbers)

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What I mean is we start from 1 and go to 99, dont recall anyone wearing 0, someone may have, if so please remind me, and name the best player in NHL past or present who wore or wears that number....I'll get it going with #1

Terry Sawchuk

Last edited:
Reactions: Killion

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
2 - Doug Harvey

Edit: John Davidson wore 00 for the Rangers in 1977-78 and Martin Biron wore it for the Sabres as a rookie in ‘95.

Neil Sheehy wore 0 for Hartford for a few games in the 80s.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
What I mean is we start from 1 and go to 99, dont recall anyone wearing 0, someone may have, if so please remind me, and name the best player in NHL past or present who wore or wear that number....I'll get it going with #1

Terry Sawchuk
Neil sheehy - 0

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
upload_2018-12-12_20-1-3.jpeg

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
What I mean is we start from 1 and go to 99, dont recall anyone wearing 0, someone may have, if so please remind me, and name the best player in NHL past or present who wore or wears that number....I'll get it going with #1

Terry Sawchuk
Jacques Plante

Number one is like a couple of numbers (i.e. nine) where there are multiple good answers.

I seem to remember a Hockey News special issue where they went through all the numbers.

Edit: NHL.com too:

Hockey's best players by the numbers they wore

00 John Davidson

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I seem to remember a Hockey News special issue where they went through all the numbers.

Edit: NHL.com too:

Hockey's best players by the numbers they wore
A newspaper or magazine will print a story from any hack if it meets their minimum parameters.

John Kreiser wrote The Hockey News story you cite above. He writes breezy hockey history, flashy and decent enough, certainly from a limited/team perspective (eg., NY, Philly).

I disagree with a lot of his choices. What do you think?

EDIT: I can't cut and paste on my smartphone, it's hellbjust to try and access three sources simultaneously. Ugh. I'll get back to you on this when I'm on a computer.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
A newspaper or magazine will print a story from any hack if it meets their minimum parameters.

John Kreiser wrote The Hockey News story you cite above. He writes breezy hockey history, flashy and decent enough, certainly from a limited/team perspective (eg., NY, Philly).

I disagree with a lot of his choices. What do you think?

EDIT: I can't cut and paste on my smartphone, it's hellbjust to try and access three sources simultaneously. Ugh. I'll get back to you on this when I'm on a computer.
What I was remembering was an entire special issue, devoted to this topic.

Would be in the last 10-15 years. Can`t find it though, so I could be wrong.

Edit: There is a book written on the topic as well...

images

Last edited:

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
images

Wearing his favorite number in his favorite jersey playing against his favorite team.

99- Wayne GRETZKY

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
I think a good question would be who is the greatest #19?

Sakic
Yzerman
Trottier
Robinson
I absolutely love Robinson, one of the greatest defenseman of all time and my favorite Habs defenseman so far but Sakic is the greatest #19.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad