Best players drafted 2nd time around?

Egoclapper

Dec 21, 2010
I've been looking at some good young players and quite a few especially late picks are older than the guys in their draft.

Who are some players in the league drafted after their first eligible draft? I'm not talking about guys who didn't sign and re-entered like Stoll.

And why wasn't Zach Parise taken in the 2002 draft? He is only a month younger (July '84) than Rick Nash (1st pick in '02) who was born in June '84.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Right now, the Sharks are icing Tommy Wingels, Justin Braun, and Jason Demers, all of whom were late rounders in their 2nd or even 3rd time through the draft and are turing into very solid youngsters.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
I've been looking at some good young players and quite a few especially late picks are older than the guys in their draft.

Who are some players in the league drafted after their first eligible draft? I'm not talking about guys who didn't sign and re-entered like Stoll.

And why wasn't Zach Parise taken in the 2002 draft? He is only a month younger (July '84) than Rick Nash (1st pick in '02) who was born in June '84.

Prior to the 2004 lockout players that went the NCAA route had to (or could choose to?) enter the draft a year later after their freshman years. Kesler, Vanek, Stuart and Parise were all eligible for 2002 age wise as early '84s but were part of the 2003 first round. Although Suter was an '85 headed to Wisconsin and he was also in that first round so I'm not sure how he was eligible.

David Perron is pretty good and he wasn't drafted his first eligible draft.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

There were different eligibility rules before 2004 with regards to NCAA players (or players bound for NCAA). In order to keep their college eligibility, they had to wait an extra year. I forget the exact rules, but those players had to opt into a draft. Rick DiPietro would have been slated to be in the 2001 Draft, but gave up the remainder of his college eligibility to go into the 2000 Draft.

Similarly, before the last lockout, European players had to be drafted in order to come to the NHL. So you had some older guys like Mark Streit, Lubomir Visnovsky, Roman Cechmanek, etc get taken prior to 2005. The rules changed and teams could sign European (over 22) as free agents.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Craig Anderson was drafted in the 3rd round twice. I'd say he's probably the best this season.

Nick Boynton pulled off a rare feat getting drafted in the 1st round twice!

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Look for Radko Gudas and Ondrej Palat, both were taken in their 3rd year, Gudas in the 3rd round 2010 and Palat in the 7th 2011. Gudas seems to be NHL ready and will most liekly be in the NHL next year.
Palat is 6th in assist in the AHL and is a legit prospect now, could be in the NHL in 14-15 season.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Craig Anderson was drafted in the 3rd round twice. I'd say he's probably the best this season.

Nick Boynton pulled off a rare feat getting drafted in the 1st round twice!

Certainly not the best player to get drafted twice, but Mathieu Chouinard was drafted twice, 15th overall in 98 and 45th overall in '00, both times by the Ottawa Senators. He played 2 minutes of NHL hockey, registering two saves in backup duty for the Kings.

TheNudge

Aug 11, 2008
did anyone forget about Tanner Pearson? He was selected 30th overall in is second year of eligibility. Another player that come tom mind is Tanner Richard wich Tampa Bay selected him in the 3rd round.

snizzbone*

Certainly not the best player to get drafted twice, but Mathieu Chouinard was drafted twice, 15th overall in 98 and 45th overall in '00, both times by the Ottawa Senators. He played 2 minutes of NHL hockey, registering two saves in backup duty for the Kings.

Why would Ottawa waste a 2nd on a guy they had already drafted?

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Why would Ottawa waste a 2nd on a guy they had already drafted?

It gets weirder. The second they used to draft him was a compensation pick they received because he refused to sign his entry level deal.

It was all a big "**** you" Marc Chouinard

Mar 12, 2009
did anyone forget about Tanner Pearson? He was selected 30th overall in is second year of eligibility. Another player that come tom mind is Tanner Richard wich Tampa Bay selected him in the 3rd round.

I find him to be one of the more interesting first round picks in recent memory. I played with his brother and saw him when he played for the waterloo siskins (only new it was him because I recognized his dad). He was obviously one of the better players at the junior b level, but I am legitmately surprised he became a first round pick. His skills are ok overall, but imo for him to have made it so far in such a short period of time, he must have a very high level of work ethic.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Prior to the 2004 lockout players that went the NCAA route had to (or could choose to?) enter the draft a year later after their freshman years. Kesler, Vanek, Stuart and Parise were all eligible for 2002 age wise as early '84s but were part of the 2003 first round. Although Suter was an '85 headed to Wisconsin and he was also in that first round so I'm not sure how he was eligible.

David Perron is pretty good and he wasn't drafted his first eligible draft.

Did Parron opt in? I thought he was in the age group were he needed to opt in to get drafted. After the last lockout one of the agreements was that certain age groups had to opt in and if they opted in they were not elligiable after the 4rth round

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
Ryan Callahan and Jonathan Quick are two of the most prominent ones playing in the NHL right now.

Quick I know did not opt in the first year because something about uni education he was considering going that route and at the time there was some confusion amongst us high school kids about if they opted into the the draft before going to uni would that affect there ability to go to uni

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Did Parron opt in? I thought he was in the age group were he needed to opt in to get drafted. After the last lockout one of the agreements was that certain age groups had to opt in and if they opted in they were not elligiable after the 4rth round

Perron simply wasn't seen that much in his first draft year. He was playing major midget in Quebec.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Datsyuk and Perron.

Jarret Stoll was drafted twice, both in the second round and I'd say he panned out pretty well.

SchultzSquared*

Datsyuk and Perron.

Jarret Stoll was drafted twice, both in the second round and I'd say he panned out pretty well.

Lombardi was retaliation pick by Flames for Oilers taking Stoll... previously there was an unwritten code... GMs would not take a player who re-entered the draft higher than they were drafted before. Oilers did it so Flames "poached" Lombardi. Not a bad trade.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Before the rules were changed after the 04-05 lockout there was usually at least a handful of Europeans in their mid-20's drafted each year.

Some that come to mind that are still playing in the NHL...

Vishnovsky
Streit
Franzen
Zidlicky

EDIT: Just noticed Brodeur beat me to the punch by a mere 17 hours so I will add...

No longer playing but Lubomir Sekeras was drafted when he was over 30. I am thinking he is probably the best player ever selected in the 13th(?) year of eligibility.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad