WJC: Best Player Predictions

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Now that the round robin games are over, I think it's a good time to make predictions of who the best forward, best defenseman and best goaltender will be when the tournament ends.

IMO:
Best forward: Jordan Eberle
Best defenseman: I would have said Sbisa, but since he's out I'll say Alex Pietrangelo or Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Best goaltender: Jack Campbell

And incase anyone is wondering, last year's winners were Tavares for best forward, Karlsson for best defenseman and Markstrom for best goaltender.

hockeywatch

Jul 18, 2008
Now that the round robin games are over, I think it's a good time to make predictions of who the best forward, best defenseman and best goaltender will be when the tournament ends.

IMO:
Best forward: Jordan Eberle
Best defenseman: I would have said Sbisa, but since he's out I'll say Alex Pietrangelo or Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Best goaltender: Jack Campbell

And incase anyone is wondering, last year's winners were Tavares for best forward, Karlsson for best defenseman and Markstrom for best goaltender.

yup
Pietro
yup

SMoneyMonkey

Dec 7, 2009
LA/MTL
Kozun/Schenn
Teubert
Jones

(guess which team I'm a fan of :P)

Aside from painfully homer picks

Eberle
Pietrangelo (He really should be in the NHL)
Allen

Allen has impressed me thus far. The only other one I liked a lot was Campbell, though. Jones might be good but not quite the same level as these two.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Markström, Pietrangelo and Eberle are pretty safe picks for the best players at their position, so I'm going with them.

Let's take a closer look at the starting goaltenders for the teams that qualified for the quarter finals (while including both goalies for USA):
Player |Team |GPI |Min |SOG |SV |SV% |GAA |SO
Jakob Markström |Sweden |3 |180:00 |97 |94 |.969 |1.00 |0
Igor Bobkov |Russia |4 |240:00 |148 |140 |.946 |2.00 |1
Jake Allen |Canada |3 |185:00 |53 |49 |.925 |1.30 |2
Benjamin Conz |Switzerland |4 |238:35 |172 |157 |.913 |3.77 |0
Jack Campbell |USA |2 |125:00 |57 |52 |.912 |2.40 |1
Mike Lee |USA |2 |120:00 |39 |35 |.897 |2.00 |0
Joni Ortio |Finland |4 |218:16 |67 |57 |.851 |2.75 |0

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
The reason I'm not certain about Pietrangelo is that while he is blowing the competition away offensively, he had quite a few defensive break downs against the Americans (not as many as Ellis, but more than usual).

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
My All Tournament Team:

G: Markstrom (Conz could get it if he keeps the Swedes to 3 or less goals in the Bronze Medal game. Or The US goalie could win it if they beat Canada.)

D: Pietrangelo
D: OEL

RW: Eberle
C: Stepan
LW: Hall/MPS

Tournament MVP - Eberle

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
My All Tournament Team:

G: Markstrom (Conz could get it if he keeps the Swedes to 3 or less goals in the Bronze Medal game. Or The US goalie could win it if they beat Canada.)

D: Pietrangelo
D: OEL

RW: Eberle
C: Stepan
LW: Hall/MPS

Tournament MVP - Eberle

Cant really decide the MVP pre-final :p If usa wins I'm sure Stepan would be the MVP

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Cant really decide the MVP pre-final :p If usa wins I'm sure Stepan would be the MVP

True, after I submitted I thought about putting in a caveat about the US goalie getting tournament mvp, but Stepan does have a great shot at it.

That said, if Canada does lose and Eberle, say, has a 4 point game, he'll probably still get MVP, but now i'm doing too much what-if-ing.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Markstrom
OEL (only because Pietrangelo had a melt down defensively NYE)
Eberle

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Markstrom
Pietrangelo
Eberle/Stepan depending on which team wins it all.

I'd be absolutely shocked if the outcome varied from that.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Markstrom
Pietrangelo
Eberle/Stepan depending on which team wins it all.

I'd be absolutely shocked if the outcome varied from that.

Agreed. I guess there's a small chance that either goalie in tomorrow's game would swipe the award if they pitched a shutout.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Forward : Stepan or Eberle
D : NOT PIETRANGELO. OEL, maybe?
G : Benjamin Conz

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
Jordan Eberle
Derek Stepan
Jerry D'Amigo

Alex Pietrangelo
Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Benjamin Conz

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
MVP (Most Valuable Player to his Team): Nino Neiderreiter, Switzerland. (hands down, the ultimate no-brainer.)

MVP (Most Valuable Player who gets the most Media Attention): Eberle...obviously an outstanding player, but also surrounded by many outstanding players.

Defenseman: Pietrangelo...great at both ends of the rink throughout the tournament.

Goaltender: Conz...if you're looking for a guy who has given his team a legit chance to win against all comers...just look at the shot totals. Markstrom...if you're looking at preliminary round numbers, but in two years at the WJC, he's never won a "big" game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad