Best player of the 2020s so far first 3 seasons 2019-20 to 21-22 before playoffs start

who is the best player of the 20s so far?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Simple question that came up from another thread, who is the best player of the 2020s so far, so from the 19-20 season to right now before the 22 playoffs start.

I just used position players as goalies should be IMO treated separately.

Use both regular season, playoffs, defensive play, intangibles ect to make your decision.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I mean, McDavid scored 105 points in a season that Kucherov missed entirely. I know Kuch has been great in the playoffs, but how do you make up that much of a gap in a decade that has had three completed seasons?

Reactions: Regal

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I take the 66 points back to back cup champ Kucherov for now, this will obviously change to McDavid when/if he finds success with Edmonton in the post season

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Simple question that came up from another thread, who is the best player of the 2020s so far, so from the 19-20 season to right now before the 22 playoffs start.

I just used position players as goalies should be IMO treated separately.

Use both regular season, playoffs, defensive play, intangibles ect to make your decision.

Did I initiate it? I'm so cool :cool:

I mean, McDavid scored 105 points in a season that Kucherov missed entirely. I know Kuch has been great in the playoffs, but how do you make up that much of a gap in a decade that has had three completed seasons?

Kucherov turns 29 y/o next season and already has had a major surgery. I'm not saying he's going to decline next season but there's still 8 seasons to go for the decade. McDavid should normally still be in his prime all the way

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Did I initiate it? I'm so cool :cool:

Kucherov turns 29 y/o next season and already has had a major surgery. I'm not saying he's going to decline next season but there's still 8 seasons to go for the decade. McDavid should normally still be in his prime all the way

No it was 3 on zero that did but you can still be cool.

Kuch is in the top 5ish but there is a group of guys in terms of actual overall value over the 3 years.

And that's only due to his PPG production and offense in the playoffs, missing a season plus really hurts him.
Post automatically merged:

Also it would be great to do a poll that ranks players but I think the only way it could be done on here is to list all guys 5 times and then everyone votes 5 times for the top guy, 4 for second and so on and i wonder if people would actually bother...you know with all the important stuff to do on these boards.....

Reactions: Xspyrit

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
By winning back-to-back cups while the other guy was a near-total failure when it mattered most?

funny thing is that McDavid was such a failure in the 20s that he actually has the best PPG in the playoffs but why ruin a false narrative with facts eh?

Same thing for Mack.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
funny thing is that McDavid was such a failure in the 20s that he actually has the best PPG in the playoffs but why ruin a false narrative with facts eh?
You mean his 9 qualifying round points in a losing effort against the worst team in the division?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You mean his 9 qualifying round points in a losing effort against the worst team in the division?

They are playoff points aren't they?

Also the regular season dominance from McDavid with 2 art Ross trophies a Hart another 5th place finish and certainly a finalist this year is too big of a hill for Kuch to overcome.

Heck Kuch has at best an argument for top 5ish most might have him in the top 10 at this point.

McDavid has awesome possession metrics in the playoffs as well but some will punish him for the team that he plays for right?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
McDavid but it’s really hard to ignore the playoff success of Hedman and Kuch. That said if you switch Kucherov for McDavid in Tampas lineup they still win two cups so I’ll go with Connor.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
They are playoff points aren't they?

Also the regular season dominance from McDavid with 2 art Ross trophies a Hart another 5th place finish and certainly a finalist this year is too big of a hill for Kuch to overcome.

Heck Kuch has at best an argument for top 5ish most might have him in the top 10 at this point.

McDavid has awesome possession metrics in the playoffs as well but some will punish him for the team that he plays for right?
If you're the captain and can't find a way to win the worst team in the division in playoff qualification series then a big chunk of that is on you regardless of what you compiled in the regular season. And that ineptitude only got confirmed further last year as the Jets swept them in four. In other words eight playoff games, seven losses against lower-ranked opponents in the 2020s.

Perhaps Kucherov is too old to remain the player of the decade by 2030, but as of now his only flaw is missing a bunch of regular season games. The 115 (58+96=154 +27) games he did play? Flawless. The 48 (15+51=66 +21) in the playoffs? Flawless.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
By winning back-to-back cups while the other guy was a near-total failure when it mattered most?
McDavid has 22 pts in 21 playoff games. I’d like to see your criteria for claiming that as a failure.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
McDavid has 22 pts in 21 playoff games. I’d like to see your criteria for claiming that as a failure.
...nine of them in the qualification round against the worst team in the division that wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs any normal year. And the Oilers still found a way to lose that series in four. As the captain you don't get to escape the responsibility after repeated failure.

Reactions: alexgreeen

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Gotta be Mcdavid, even when he's not the best player in a single season he's always 2nd or 3rd.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
...nine of them in the qualification round against the worst team in the division that wouldn't be anywhere near the playoffs any normal year. And the Oilers still found a way to lose that series in four. As the captain you don't get to escape the responsibility after repeated failure.
The Oilers did lose that series. And yes McDavid is a part of that. But lets be realistic. It’s a team sport, no one player wins or loses it. If you feel the answer is Kuch that’s totally reasonable but there’s no need to try to run make stuff up to try to diminish another player to prove your point

Reactions: wetcoast

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Excellent job of moving the goalposts and setting up an entirely different question from the one you were called out on. Well done.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
McDavid hands down. Not even close.

I think if instead of last 3 years you did last 4 years (ie, count Kucherov's 2018-2019 award sweep), it becomes a bit closer, but would still be edge McDavid.

Simply put McDavid has by far been the most consistent. Playoff disappointments isn't enough for Kucherov to surpass him with all of his games and seasons missed. I think even if he had played without injuries he'd be behind, but as it is he's just too far back.

Drai or Kucherov for #2. Tempted to say Drai though, with Kuch at #3.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Yes you are 100% right Kucherov is flawless as a goalie, McDavid is pretty lousy at it, do I have it right?

In fact Kucherov the goalie won the Conn Smythe last season and as a Dman the year before.......:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad