Best player of all time at each number - #1

Best #1

• Total voters

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I dont think this is a bad point, but the question becomes how much of the BHs inability to capitalize on having the best F, C, D, and G over a period of like 7 years and walking away with only one Cup rests on Hall.

I don't know the answer to that. Plante probably gets too much credit for the 50s Habs, but they won.

Should be noted that Glenn Hall was the guy who ended the Montreal dynasty in 1961. Beat the Habs in round one in 6 games.

With the series tied 1-1, Hall outdueled Plante in triple OT, 2-1. Then shutout the Canadiens in games 5 and 6. If there was a Conn Smythe at that time he most likely would have won it.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Should be noted that Glenn Hall was the guy who ended the Montreal dynasty in 1961. Beat the Habs in round one in 6 games.

With the series tied 1-1, Hall outdueled Plante in triple OT, 2-1. Then shutout the Canadiens in games 5 and 6. If there was a Conn Smythe at that time he most likely would have won it.
Yeah I don't think it's Halls fault. I think he won the CS with the Blues for instance.

I think generally in the HoH board puts the blame on Pilote and Mikitas discipline issues when he was younger, plus lack of depth. That sounds right-ish. But Hall is tough to rank.

Also didnt Harvey leave that season? I may be wrong, but if so that probably had more to do with the end of the Habs dynasty than anything else.

Edit: my mistake. Harvey left after this season.

Last edited:

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
No surprise that there's a ton of great Goalies in this. One is a goalie's number.

Vited Plante. Sawchuk was close for me. But I respect every name on that list, and can't blame anyone for voting for any of them.

Glaciers

Jul 14, 2020
Yeah I don't think it's Halls fault. I think he won the CS with the Blues for instance.

I think generally in the HoH board puts the blame on Pilote and Mikitas discipline issues when he was younger, plus lack of depth. That sounds right-ish. But Hall is tough to rank.

Also didnt Harvey leave that season? I may be wrong, but if so that probably had more to do with the end of the Habs dynasty than anything else.

Edit: my mistake. Harvey left after this season.
They had some luck on their side. Sawchuk got injured in the playoffs, which helped Chicago in the finals.

Glaciers

Jul 14, 2020
Fun Trivia Time: Which goalie had the best save percentage in the NHL in the 1970s, with a 0.925?

A) Tony Esposito
B) Glenn Resch
C) Bernie Parent
D) Gump Worsley
E) Glenn Hall
F) Ken Dryden
G) Jacques Plante

And the answer is....

G.

That's right, the guy with best save persentage was over 40, and 18 years older then second place Ken Dryden (the list is in reverse order for the top 7 BTW). Unbelievable!

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad