Best player of 2011 draft....?

kitchen44

Mar 27, 2010
I keep hearing how there is no special player in this years class, but has anyone really paid attention to Murphy? this kid is absolutely unbelievable. I think he tops out as the best player in this draft. I think it is safe to say that if there was a player challenging RNH for first, that was being touted as the next Coffey 90% of the people on here would be begging for him, and that's who I think Murphy has the potential to turn into. The kid is by far the most talented player in the draft, hoppkins might have better hockey sense( I am not going to comment on it since I dont know) but Murphy has the more unique skill set. I am starting to think that the only knock against him is size, which is fair, But he has a serious chance of becoming the Scott Niedermayer of his generation. I know people bash cherry for picking him to go #1 but he makes a good point, I think any team who pass's on him will deeply regret it (including the oilers). if the opportunity was there to trade for him I would do it in a heartbeat, something like EDM: 2 OVL - 11 OVL COL: Eberle-LA's pick or just straight up Eberle for Murphy. From an Oilers perspective I would die for the opportunity of having Hoppkins-Murphy combo in a couple years, especially on the pp. I think he is in a weird situation were it is possible he could go anywhere from 2-22 in the draft, because of the boom or bust aura that surrounds him. I think he is similar to Fowler in the type of player (small,skilled) but way more talented and less polished. I would be interested to hear some other opinions on him because I have watched him a lot and would like to see what others think

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
RNH had a similarly unique skill set with his combination of acceleration, agility, vision, and an underrated shot. Say what u will but he is one of the best draft eligible talents I have ever seen. I have not watched Murphy so I cant offer a comparison.

kitchen44

Mar 27, 2010
This wouldn't have anything to do with you being a Rangers fan, would it?

No I am an oilers fan actually:sarcasm: I assume you aren't taking about NY, no I am not I actually just started watching them cause of Murphy.

Isles Drive 4 5

May 22, 2008
I keep hearing how there is no special player in this years class, but has anyone really paid attention to Murphy? this kid is absolutely unbelievable. I think he tops out as the best player in this draft. I think it is safe to say that if there was a player challenging RNH for first, that was being touted as the next Coffey 90% of the people on here would be begging for him, and that's who I think Murphy has the potential to turn into. The kid is by far the most talented player in the draft, hoppkins might have better hockey sense( I am not going to comment on it since I dont know) but Murphy has the more unique skill set. I am starting to think that the only knock against him is size, which is fair, But he has a serious chance of becoming the Scott Niedermayer of his generation. I know people bash cherry for picking him to go #1 but he makes a good point, I think any team who pass's on him will deeply regret it (including the oilers). if the opportunity was there to trade for him I would do it in a heartbeat, something like EDM: 2 OVL - 11 OVL COL: Eberle-LA's pick or just straight up Eberle for Murphy. From an Oilers perspective I would die for the opportunity of having Hoppkins-Murphy combo in a couple years, especially on the pp. I think he is in a weird situation were it is possible he could go anywhere from 2-22 in the draft, because of the boom or bust aura that surrounds him. I think he is similar to Fowler in the type of player (small,skilled) but way more talented and less polished. I would be interested to hear some other opinions on him because I have watched him a lot and would like to see what others think

i agree 100000000000%.....he and RNH will be the best of this draft...I myself have been saying this for the last few months and as an Isles fan all I hear other Isles fans say ignorantly how they rather have Hamiliton.....I would even maybe consider trading next year's 1st round pick to get him along with a few propspects to acquire a second 1st round pick this year..from an Isles perspective .I would love to get Murphy at 5 and trade for Strome with other assets.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He's like Ellis but with exceptional wheels.

The team drafting him could very well be getting the best player in the draft down the road.

Pitlick*

I also think Murphy might end up the best player in the draft.

I doubt my team will draft it, having Karlsson and Rundblad, but it would be an interesting experiment. The other 3 D would have to be big bruisers: Cowen + 2 similar guys.

Could 3-D work on the PP?

Imagine the Sens transition game with one of these 3 guys almost always on the ice, often 2. Though Rundblad doesn't have the blazing speed of Murphy + Karlsson, he's quick like those guys.

Ideally, the other 2 blossom like Karlsson, and you trade 1 guy in a few years, a rare valued commodity in the NHL: elite offensive defenseman / PP QB, would fetch a good price in a trade.

I doubt the Sens take Murphy, but he is awesome.

I think the Islanders might grab Murphy at #5. Or Hamilton, they have so many good young forwards already, some good young D; need more.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Murphy & Grimaldi could very well be the most talented players available. I only saw Huberdeau live once, but he's a serious talent as well. Wouldn't hesitate to put his skill set up against any other draft eligible player.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Murphys best comparison is Coffey for sure, I definitely don't want to compare them as talents but yeah Murphy definitely could end up being the best player, unbeleiveably skilled.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Outside of the top ten (or at least the general top ten from mock drafts)

I'd say, Dmtri Jeskin, Vladislav Namestinkov, or Zack Phillips could become really great. They sort of all sit from 15-35, in average mock drafts IMO.

Ryan Murphy will definatly become great, but he's in the top 10 most likely.

Last edited:

4thliner*

I also think Murphy might end up the best player in the draft.

I doubt my team will draft it, having Karlsson and Rundblad, but it would be an interesting experiment. The other 3 D would have to be big bruisers: Cowen + 2 similar guys.

Could 3-D work on the PP?

Imagine the Sens transition game with one of these 3 guys almost always on the ice, often 2. Though Rundblad doesn't have the blazing speed of Murphy + Karlsson, he's quick like those guys.

Ideally, the other 2 blossom like Karlsson, and you trade 1 guy in a few years, a rare valued commodity in the NHL: elite offensive defenseman / PP QB, would fetch a good price in a trade.

I doubt the Sens take Murphy, but he is awesome.

I think the Islanders might grab Murphy at #5. Or Hamilton, they have so many good young forwards already, some good young D; need more.

Not very good idea because ideally none of these 3 guys should be 3rd pairing guys playing 10-15 mins a night. At least don't draft guys like that in the top half of the 1st round.

kitchen44

Mar 27, 2010
I agree with Ryan Murphy. He's ..... quite special. Far better than Cam Fowler in my opinion.

yes I agree. i think Murphy will be far better even though his transition wont be as smooth because he is more raw, I still believe he will be much better. Does anyone know why he isn't ranked higher? other than the size issue?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
The thing with Murphy is that he is still skinny yet. Everyone talks about how he is so small but do not forget that he is 5`11, 176 pounds. He is not short and it is a whole lot easier to add muscle than it is to grow up in height.

Murphy's stats in his draft year compared to Coffey.

Murphy 63-26-53-79-36PIMs
playoffs 7-2-9-11-8PIMs

Coffey 75-29-83-102-193PIMs

So Paul Coffey's numbers are quite a bit better but I do know that offense was higher then.

dream catcher

Apr 12, 2010
He is a great talent, but to pick him in the top 5 are you sure he will become a good defensive player in the NHL? How is his positioning, stick work, and overall defensive awareness? He will never be a physical guy so he has to excel in those areas.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
He is a great talent, but to pick him in the top 5 are you sure he will become a good defensive player in the NHL? How is his positioning, stick work, and overall defensive awareness? He will never be a physical guy so he has to excel in those areas.

Murphy is actually fairly physical. Not overly, but hes definitely not afraid to take the body.

Defensively I'd say hes better than Fowler was when he was 17, hes only gotten better. He's bound to make mistakes all junior age defensemen do, and gives up a bit at the point but hes very good at getting back and recovoring.

Positioning is good, stick work isn't bad, could be better but hes definitely got better and hes actually got strong defensive awareness.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
from a guy here who has never seen him play i do recall a skinny kid that could fly from BC that was drafted by the NYR . any resemblance (sp) ?? If so Leetch was drafted around 10-12 I believe, but man did he pan out.

The Isles either love him or hate him. Is Garth ready to swing for the fences? Just with Grabner alone the Isles seem fast already but adding this kid may take them to another level. Interesting choice

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
from a guy here who has never seen him play i do recall a skinny kid that could fly from BC that was drafted by the NYR . any resemblance (sp) ?? If so Leetch was drafted around 10-12 I believe, but man did he pan out.

The Isles either love him or hate him. Is Garth ready to swing for the fences? Just with Grabner alone the Isles seem fast already but adding this kid may take them to another level. Interesting choice

The Islanders definitely need to get faster. Murphy would certainly bring that to the Isles. But I would expect to see him on LI for at least 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad