• Sidney Crosby

Votes: 163 76.2%

• Total voters

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Jagr. Not close.

Crosby won 2 CS's. Only 1 was legit.

Crosby may be a bit better in PO. But Jagr had many playoffs without Lemieux. And was still very good.

Jagr has more individual awards.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Its a little close.

I got Crosby in the 5-10 range. Jagr in the 10-15 range.
think this is for their tenure as Pens only.

So Jagr's three elite NYR years, 3 good years on the CAPs (good as being ppg or so) and his stint from 2012 onwards where he showed some incredible longevity aren't considered.

Crosby has clearly passed Jagr the Penguin a while back

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Jagr. Not close.

Crosby may be a bit better in PO. But Jagr had many playoffs without Lemieux. And was still very good.

Crosby has a better argument than Jagr for the 5th best player of all time and you don't think it's close?

This is clearly Crosby. The only reason Jagr has more hardware is because he was healthier than Sid during their respective primes. Crosby is a much better all-around player, a better playoff performer, and a substantially better leader. And, as always, claiming that Crosby's first Smythe was unearned is essentially outing yourself for stat-watching.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Jagr. Not close.

I find it funny when people discount one of Crosby’s Conn Smythe but don’t bother to bring up the 2 other runs he has that would have been Smythe worthy most seasons. As if those don’t exist because he didn’t get the trophy.

As far as major awards go (Art Ross, Hart, Richard, Smythe, Pearson) it’s actually 11-8 in Crosby’s favor. That is despite Crosby missing an immense chunk of his peak and prime.

Counting individual awards only takes you so far. In this case, it makes it even less lopsided that it should be.

Last edited:

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I find it funny when people discount one of Crosby’s Conn Smythe but don’t bother to bring up the 2 other runs he has that would have been Smythe worthy most seasons. As if those don’t exist because he didn’t get the trophy.

As far as major awards go (Art Ross, Hart, Richard, Smythe, Pearson) it’s actually 11-8 in Crosby’s favor. That is despite Crosby missing an immense chunk of his peak and prime.

Counting individual awards only takes you so far. In this case, it makes it even less lopsided that it should be.
2008: They lost in six. He had no chance at the CS of the loser.

2009: Malkin was better. Yes, in most years he does win the CS.

I assume these are the years you are referring too?

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
2008: They lost in six. He had no chance at the CS of the loser.

2009: Malkin was better. Yes, in most years he does win the CS.

I assume these are the years you are referring too?
Yes. And to be clear, I'm not saying he could or should or have won the Smythe in 2008. I'm pointing the fact that he led the playoffs in points, tied with a Conn Smythe winner everybody agrees on. To try and ''minimize'' Crosby's 2016 CS win, as a lot of posters like to do, serves little purpose considering he still have better runs that the one they contest. That's why trophy counting have major limitations when trying to make or break a player's case. It's especially true when looking at Crosby's accolades.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad