Best player drafted LAST overall?

slasher

Aug 16, 2008
Why was the draft cut down to 7 rounds?

Maybe a dumb question but.....Why was the draft cut down to 7 rounds? How is the number of players drafted determined?

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
I think Johnsson benefited hugely from going to a strong Philly team, but yeah he was real good at his peak. Seems to just be "alright" now, but I don't get to watch him much anymore

His offensive production has fallen, true, but he's better defensively. I guess that he's as good overall. Maybe the Minnesota system has something to do with the change too.

Malurous

Dec 14, 2005
Maybe a dumb question but.....Why was the draft cut down to 7 rounds? How is the number of players drafted determined?

Because you can sign Europeans as free agents now and they don't remain a team's property forever. Before, the later rounds were filled with either 20-something Euros showing promise or older ones who had risen to prominence there.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Ovechkin.

Remember, Florida used their very last pick(I believe it was the last of the draft as well) a year early in the very slim hope they could argue something about the time space continum, leap years and his birthday, which fell a couple days after the draft cutoff.

This was great thought. You gotta give the organization props for trying something fresh. I know it did bring a smile to my face when they tried it :)

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
Kim Johnsson('94)
or
Gerry Meehan('63)

Andy Brickley was a decent player, but is a distant #3 to those two.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Gotta go with Johnsson. He is #3 in my list of best Flyers defensemen of my memory, after Desjardins and Timonen.

P.S. Gotta wonder what happened for some of those undrafted guys. Ciccarelli and Oates not drafted? :amazed:

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
Gotta go with Johnsson. He is #3 in my list of best Flyers defensemen of my memory, after Desjardins and Timonen.

P.S. Gotta wonder what happened for some of those undrafted guys. Ciccarelli and Oates not drafted? :amazed:

Ciccarelli was a hotshot prospect at one point, but didn't get drafted because of a severe leg injury in juniors.

Oates came through the ranks at a time when their was a bit less focus on NCAA hockey and it was pretty common back then for quality guys to slip through the draft. As you'll recall,the NHL had a supplemental draft for a while as a result.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Good lord, some of those numbers are just plain ridiculous. Why didn't he ever get a shot in the NHL / AHL?

If I'm not mistaken, he attended 3 Oilers camps, played a few games in the WHL one year, and was offered a deal with the Oilers' farm team the next year, but he kept going home instead. Sather said something about him being the smartest player on the ice other than Gretzky.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Tony Hand was the most talented.

Look at his numbers, NHL 09 on Xbox numbers...
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=19065

How you can call a guy the most talented because he was able to put crazy numbers in a very weak league is beyond me when Kim Johnsson has actually proven to be a capable NHL player. Tony Hand rarely lead the league in scoring and was often quite a ways back of the league leader. Hand's best point total was 222 in 93-94, the same year a guy scored 319 points. And the one Glenn Sather comment doesn't really mean much, people make hyperbolic statements about players on their team all the time to the media. Kim Johnsson is definitely the answer to the OP's question.

mrSlot

Jan 18, 2009
tsürii
maybe mark streit should be on the list as well.

mark streit was drafted at the age of 27.
Draft: 2004 - 9th round (262nd overall) by the Montreal Canadiens

gp g a pts +/- pim
261 37 116 153 -15 116

I know that he`s only playing his fourth season but his stats look nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad