OT: Best player acquired by a Canadian team this year

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Should be Donaldson or mcdavid, only other sport I really watch is baseball so no clue who anyone outside of that is, Donaldson is having an MVP season and mcdavid has yet to step on the ice or be a MVP, but in the long run mcdavid will have a greater effect hopefully so not sure who to go with, weird poll though

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Obviously I went with McDavid, and I don't follow baseball at all, but I'm pretty impressed (and surprised) that Toronto was able to pick up Giovinco.

He's a legit top-league player (he could easily start for most of mid-table clubs in Europe), and he's in a league that probably isn't in the top 10 leagues in the world.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
After McD, I'll go with Didier Drogba with the Montreal Impact.

Love that name and am a big fan going back to his Chelsea days and with the Cote d'Ivore national team.

For those who don't know, Drogba is a giant in soccer. this is pretty much akin to David Beckham or Theiren Henry going to LA and NY.

Last edited:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
After McD, I'll go with Didier Drogba with the Montreal Impact.

Love that name and am a big fan going back to his Chelsea days and with the Cote d'Ivore national team.

For those who don't know, Drogba is a giant in soccer. this is pretty much akin to David Beckham or Theiren Henry going to LA and NY.

He's also old, can hardly run anymore and was Chelsea's 3rd choice striker last year.

He was phenomenal in his 1st go around with Chelsea though.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
He's also old, can hardly run anymore and was Chelsea's 3rd choice striker last year.

He was phenomenal in his 1st go around with Chelsea though.

oh fosho. He's 37, which is ancient for soccer. It's more like a legend coming to play, well past his prime, but will still be cool to see him play.

He is definitely miles more famous than any of the choices in the poll, AINEC. Admittedly, not near the best, but more legendary, at this point (here's hoping on McD).

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
All these older soccer legends coming to play for North American teams reminds me of the Leafs and they're bragging that they get this superstar and that superstar. They do, but usually when they've been out of the barn for a couple decades and ridden hard.:laugh:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Imagine the average attendance of an NBA team in Edmonton. The Rush would have averaged more fans.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
All these older soccer legends coming to play for North American teams reminds me of the Leafs and they're bragging that they get this superstar and that superstar. They do, but usually when they've been out of the barn for a couple decades and ridden hard.:laugh:

That's why Giovinco is Toronto is surprising. He's still in his prime, and could start for a number of teams in England, Spain, Germany or Italy.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Obviously I went with McDavid, and I don't follow baseball at all, but I'm pretty impressed (and surprised) that Toronto was able to pick up Giovinco.

He's a legit top-league player (he could easily start for most of mid-table clubs in Europe), and he's in a league that probably isn't in the top 10 leagues in the world.

Its the off season right now. Plus hes small, meaning less wear and tear.

Its a ballsy move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad