OT: Best player acquired by a Canadian team this year

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My vote goes to Giovinco.

Tearing up MLS this year. Leads the league in scoring, has been directly involved in over 70% of his team's goals, which for a MF is insane. Is too good for the league. Is basically the equivalent of an in-his-prime Ales Hemsky playing in the ECHL.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I picked McDavid because I didn't even see the other names till I picked him. :laugh:

I never heard of ANY of these other guys.

Apparently I do not watch any other sport....which is 100% true.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
sorry I know nothing about baseball or basketball, and I'm guessing the best soccer players out there are playing in Europe not North America

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Price is crazy for the Jays for what he will get paid this summer

Price is only a rental for the Jays.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
The answer is Josh Donaldson until Connor steps on NHL ice and proves he can do it at the NHL level. Until then the player having an MVP caliber season gets my vote. I know some of you don't know much about the other sports as some of you have mentioned, but that's my view of it. I know nothing of the Raptor's guy or the soccer player, but I have heard Giovinco is damn good. But I don't think either are MVP type players like Josh is.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
My vote goes to Giovinco.

Tearing up MLS this year. Leads the league in scoring, has been directly involved in over 70% of his team's goals, which for a MF is insane. Is too good for the league. Is basically the equivalent of an in-his-prime Ales Hemsky playing in the ECHL.

Can't say I agree with your comparison at all. If MLS were the equivalent of the ECHL, you wouldn't see guys like Dempsey, who played over 200 games in the Premier League (and was a good player there too). Especially when they're still playing at a high level. Imo, MLS is a lot like the AHL.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
To date: Donaldson forsure. In the future hopefully Price if he stays and obviously Mcdavid if he lives up to his name could potentially be the top. Donaldson is having a MVP type season.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Gio is a good player. Dont underrate the players in the MLS. Soccer is a thankless sport only for the toughest. You dont even get in the team picture unless you are in the starting 11.

Alot of player sin MLS want to play, many could help alot of teams in Europe, just not in that premier spot.

That said, Gioisnt a Donaldson or a McDavid.

Donaldson gets the nod during baseball season.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Considering I've never heard of the baseball or basketball guys, leaves me only 3 choices. McDavid it is.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Can't say I agree with your comparison at all. If MLS were the equivalent of the ECHL, you wouldn't see guys like Dempsey, who played over 200 games in the Premier League (and was a good player there too). Especially when they're still playing at a high level. Imo, MLS is a lot like the AHL.

Would the MLS not be like the KHL?

Swiping the occasional good player from the real top-tier league(s) with money, but still being clearly behind?

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
You guys are nuts, Soccer, some on. It is like the 10th best league in the world. Not best player in his league that sucks, best player!!!!!!

McDavid, but Donaldson, Tulo and Price are all close 2nd.

This.

None of these players will have the effect on their team that McDavid will have. But Donaldson has been unreal, Tulo playing like the best SS in the league and Price is exactly what the Jays needed for their playoff run (although he is likely a rental :()

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad