Best Play Making Wingers of all-time/presently?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
inspired by the couple of Kane threads presently on the front page here...

Who are the best play making wingers in the league today... Obviously Kane tops that list... Daniel Sedin an obvious #2?
All time... Obviously Jagr tops that one... Or does he?

But in everyone's opinion, who else fills out the list, both present and all time?

Cheers...

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
All-Time it's easily Jagr.

Recently, Jarome Iginla in his prime for sure. Became just a floating sniper after hitting ~32 (pretty much the moment Sid set him up for Olympic Gold) but before then, he was a joy to watch as a pure playmaker.

Currently, I really like Kucherov. The amount he impacts the game blows me away.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
All-Time it's easily Jagr.

Recently, Jarome Iginla in his prime for sure. Became just a floating sniper after hitting ~32 (pretty much the moment Sid set him up for Olympic Gold) but before then, he was a joy to watch as a pure playmaker.

Currently, I really like Kucherov. The amount he impacts the game blows me away.

I think of recent players, I would give Daniel, MSL, Tanguay and Hossa an edge over Iginla as playing making wingers over their careers... Iginla has the edge when you factor in goals, but I think falls short when it comes to play making. Underrated passer.. But not above the aforementioned players.. Imo of course.

Kucherov is a great one to point out.. I'll add Vorecek...
Up and comer... Gaudreau.

Who else? Was Dr. Recchi considered a playing winger? I would say sort of, right..

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
All-time is easily Gordie Howe, with Jagr and Guy Lafleur probably next, though non-NHLers Kharlamov and Makarov were great too.

Recently, Martin St Louis, Mark Recchi, and yes, Patrick Kane.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
All-time is easily Gordie Howe, with Jagr and Guy Lafleur probably next, though non-NHLers Kharlamov and Makarov were great too.

Recently, Martin St Louis, Mark Recchi, and yes, Patrick Kane.

Gordie and LeFleur were huge on the all time pts/assists lists... But were they known as play makers?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Dany Heatley..... well maybe not but he had some impressive 50 assists seasons.

#50 assists in 05
#50 assists in 06

He consistently had more assists the goals. Even in his first season in Atlanta 41 assists 26 goals

Underrated passer i'd say and one of the best of his generation

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Dany Heatley well maybe not but he had some impressive 50 assists seasons.

#50 assists in 05
#50 assists in 06

He consistently had more assists the goals. Even in his first season in Atlanta 41 assists 26 goals

When an elite winger has a tone of of assists, it's usually his teammates capitalizing on rebounds of his shots...

We gotta rely on the eye test here and not the stat sheet... Heatley was NOT a playmaking winger.

Heatley was a pure sniper... One of the elite of all time in his prime...

( maybe someone will suggest Selanne next)

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
When an elite winger has a tone of of assists, it's usually his teammates capitalizing on rebounds of his shots...

We gotta rely on the eye test here and not the stat sheet... Heatley was NOT a playmaking winger.

Heatley was a pure sniper... One of the elite of all time in his prime...

( maybe someone will suggest Selanne next)

Its was definitely an underrated part of his game. He could pass very well and had great vision.

Not the best part but something people dont consider

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Kariya is a good addition. Selanne was also decent playmaker.

Howe
Jagr
Lafleur

Those guys are probably top-3, right?

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Some good mentions in here. Tought I would be the one coming in saying that Tanguay and Recchi are underrated recents :D Or for that mather Kariya/Selänne. Kariya is ranked 7th all time in assists by LW, and the only one in the top 20 that didn´t reach 1000 games.

Some underrated recent wingers that haven´t been mentioned yet in this department. Probably due to them also having other great abilitys or not producing as "shiny" assists, to me were, amongst others: Kurri, Whitney, Alfredsson, Stümpel and Mats Naslund.
And if counted as an winger, Zetterberg could make some smart plays. In the same mold (and me being swede...), I believe Bengt-Ã…ke Gustafsson played some wing when he first arrived? But as with Z I see him as an C to be honest.

Some of the snipers to me are underrated as well. Such as Mogilny and Palffy.

From even older generations I think one that doesn´t get mentioned as often is Johnny Bucyk. He is the all time leader in assists amongst LW with almost 100 assists... Of course that also is because he played an ***** load of games :)

And playmaking is not always black and white, a player like Kurri could be called playmaker without getting the assist. As he broke up many plays who he after Gretzky made some magic also finished. Both deserving the 2nd or 3rd assist while still getting an goal.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Underrated playmaking winger during his time: Ray Whitney

Took to long to write my post I see :laugh: Ray Whitneys doom is to get underrated it seems. Started at his draft day, where his teammate Pat Faloon got picked as number 2 and Whitney at 23. Despite Whitney outscoring him with 47 points (albeit in 11 more games...). Probably the quitest 1000 TP career. "Only" getting an Second Team All Star at age 39 to show :) Even his SC with Carolina seems forgotten!

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Palat is an extremely underrated playmaker. His vision and passing skills are his biggest offensive assets. League leader with 36 assists in 75 games at even strength during the regular season. Second was Jamie Benn with 32 assists in 82 games, the statistical gap between Palat and the rest is rather significant.

[NHL]824432[/NHL]

[NHL]2014030315-386-h>[/NHL]

[NHL]2014030214-247-h[/NHL]

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
Palat is an extremely underrated playmaker. His vision and passing skills are his biggest offensive assets. League leader with 36 assists in 75 games at even strength during the regular season. Second was Jamie Benn with 32 assists in 82 games, the statistical gap between Palat and the rest is rather significant.

Palat already deserve mention amongst the great in the game for sure. Nice and calm passes on the tape, that the reciver can finish at an instant.

And with Sedin and Thornton not getting younger and not dominating like they used to the assist king of the leauge is up for grabs. As for now I´d probably put Crosby and Backstrom ahead of the rest of the bunch, where you still find Sedins and Thornton with the youngster in Palat, Benn, Tavares, Hudler, Voracek and so on. Strictly speaking forwards of course.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Elias in his prime

Currently, I'd be lying if I said anyone but Gaudreau. His vision and anticipation are a notch above the rest IMO.

Reactions: Hellinator

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think of recent players, I would give Daniel, MSL, Tanguay and Hossa an edge over Iginla as playing making wingers over their careers... Iginla has the edge when you factor in goals, but I think falls short when it comes to play making.

Not really. He was a pure power forward that would bull his way to a good spot, and then set up his teammates. He pretty much was a center under the guise of a winger, and he never had a Spezza or a Backstrom to let him just be a traditional winger so he sort "had to" be a playmaker, even when guys like Huselius and Tanguay joined on to take those pressures away from Iginla.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad