Best performance your team wasted

DoYouBeleaf

Aug 13, 2010
Mississauga
We had a best of 3 series in the Semi-Finals of our League playoffs and I basically did everything the whole series, scoring all 6 of our goals to help us win in 2 games and both of those games went to OT.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
In my roller league we went winless in 12 games during the regular season, in the playoffs (1st round) we had our goalie missing and had to play without a goalie for the first period (porque?) and were actually tied 4-4 after the 1st period (I had a goal) and a goalie came for us in the 2nd period and I scored a goal, but I was the only one who did from there, 9-5 loss I had two goals but we wasted it.

Another during the season we were tied 7-7 and I already had a goal that game and I rang one off the pipe in close with 5 minutes to go. So choked after the game. We tied 7-7.

Jimmy Carter

Avs/Leafs fan
Jul 24, 2010
Western NY
Well, to be fair, my best performances in a roller/ice league where my team still got beat up bad happened usually because we had 0-1 subs and were dogging it 3/4 through the game. Due to the same fact, my best performances usually came when my team would all jump in on offense and I'd never go anywhere a few inches past the blueline so I could cheat back (cause I was worn out part way through playing iron man hockey) to cover the counter-attack. So my best performance in a game like this was probably when I scored a goal (1 of only 2 in a 12 game season :laugh:) and played probably half of my time on D covering 2/3 on 1's and breaking up most of them, and blocking a shot that made it so I couldn't put much weight on my right leg. Frankly, I'm more proud of playing decent D on one leg then I am of my best offense in any game I've played, pickup or league.

Since I've only been skating a few years and usually playing in roller/ice leagues above my skill level, the best "carry the team on your back" performance I've ever had was in my school's floor hockey intermurals. I was on a team made up mostly of guys who only ever worked on their stick-handling and guys that just plain weren't very good. The only other guy on the team with any hockey sense unfortunately was the only one who played decent goalie.

So after a few games of trying to be a team guy, setting up beauty opportunities (I somehow snuck a pass over a forward's stick, between a D's legs, and on my teammate's stick and he shot it into the goalie's chest with half the net open :facepalm:) and staying back on D to prevent goals, I got fed up and asked to start at center. I think that was the first game we won a faceoff lol, then I tried my best to create some scoring chances alone.

Normally I never do that kind of thing, so I was surprised at how much I could do on my own. I was deking through guys and getting good chances. I potted a few goals, went end to end, back out to center, then back into the slot and rung one off the post and I heard the goalie yell "holy ****!" :laugh: To boot, since no one could play D, I came back and played as a defender most of the time. I'm not a guy you'd call "in shape" either so that was probably the hardest I'd worked/most I ran the entire year. Sadly, we still lost like 5-3 I think.

Rizzy13

Jan 26, 2009
came late to my house league game playoff game and missed the first period. we were down 2-0 against the best team in game 1. i scored a goal in the third and then tied the game with a steal and slapshot five hole with 2 minutes left in the game. i come back on the bench, i dont know what our players were doing and they got a breakaway and scored and went up 1-0 in the series. i just looked at my coach said why did this happen :( (nothing negative towards my teamates, i loved em). i also scored in game 2 but we ended up losing like 5-3

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
some of the guys on my floor and i play some pretty damn competitive pinecone hockey (those things are a ***** to block) and i once scored 12 goals in one gameonly for us to lose 18-17. our goalie sucked so much ass, we held in their end pretty much the whole game but every time they shot, they scored. he didn't get to play goalie anymore after that.

a pinecone, baseball gloves, and a half empty student parking lot because of a 3 day weekend. that's hockey right there.

oh and i always managed to get put on absolutely terrible teams in the roller leagues. constantly the only kid that could do anything, but then i was like 12 and it's atlanta so you can't expect a ton of great hockey talent.

Thepandamancan

Jun 6, 2010
I once made 40 saves and stopped a 4 on none...unfortunately I still let in 7 goals cause my team just could not play defense to save their lives.

Ozolinsh_27

Apr 1, 2005
I play in a tournament once a year where every team every one has to play for their hometown, and its a tight knit tournament - everyone knows where everyone else is from.

Playing centre in the semi-finals, I scored 4 goals while only coming off the ice twice during the entire game (once being intermission - games were two 25 min periods). And we lost 5-4 :amazed:

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
A few years back we were playing a team that was head and shoulders above us talent wise. But me and my defence partner were putting on a clinic, each shift we'd go out and shut down the top line. Than we'd switch and the other pairing would quickly allow a couple goals, this happened a couple times, it was frustrating to go out and play that hard just to have the other team score as soon as you stepped off.

Trojan35

Jan 11, 2007
Made 79 saves en route to a 3-2 OT loss. Still say that ****er hit the GW over the crossbar too.

How does a puck that goes over the crossbar get mistaken for a goal?

Edit: NM, you're saying it was a high touch. Got it.

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
Oh boy, there's a few but I'll just give the 2 best.

Back in bantam, my team (Stephenville B) was playing Goulds B at the provincial Bantam F tournament. If you're confused by the lettering system, you're not the first ;) Anyway, we went up 4-0 by the end of the first. It was an emotional game for us. Our town's paper mill shut down just before the season started, so a lot of families stuck around for one more year before moving away. We really wanted to win the tourny for the guys that were leaving, so we came out strong in every game and blew every lead in the third. In this last game, we could have jumped up into 3rd and picked up Bronze, or dropped into 5th. We managed to blow a 4-0 lead and lost 8-4. Had a lot of fun that year, too bad it had to come to an end.

2 years before that, we were in the championship of the provincial Peewee Developmental B division and taking on our arch rival, Corner Brook. We were up 2-1 going to the third when our goaltender sprained his ankle. In goes the back-up and, well I never blamed a goaltender for a loss except for this one. I think he faced 10 shots, let in 5, including 2 or 3 from outside the red line. We lost 6-2, I felt terrible for the guy. He gets his chance and completely blew it, and he knew it too. Fortunately, he stuck with it and turned into a solid 1B for us over the years, even made our High School team when we were in grade 12.

We never made another championship game after that one though. Strangely enough, our minor hockey association hasn't won a single provincial title since the mill was torn down in 2007, 4 seasons ago now. Before that, they had never gone more than 2 years without winning at least once, going back to when it started in 1967.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad