Best One-on-One player of All-time

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
No, Lemieux owned Bourque throughout his career big time.

Lemieux scored on his first shift in his first game by picking Bourque's pocket

I remember a playoff series with the Bruins where Mario was scoring at will and Bourque could do nothing to slow him down

Lemieux owned everyone, not just Bourque. He did the same thing to Lidstrom and Stevens several times in the meetings they had in their careers. The only example of a guy shutting Mario down about as good as he could be shut down was Langway, and even he could barely contain Mario despite being a top 3 all time defensive Defenseman.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
No, Lemieux owned Bourque throughout his career big time.

Lemieux scored on his first shift in his first game by picking Bourque's pocket

I remember a playoff series with the Bruins where Mario was scoring at will and Bourque could do nothing to slow him down

If he "owned Bourque" then what about Mario Marois or Bob Bourne or......................?

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Yeah, I heard you the first time.

You asked for some proof, I never knew you were looking for a whole career's worth of ownage. Please accept my humblest apologies.

Saying someone "owned" someone is a ridiculous assertion. If they played each other 70 times and you provide 4 or 5 successes well then that's proven hyperbole. No need to be a smartass on top of it.

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Not like that. That goal was someting special.

Oh I agree. It was a masterpiece goal that nobody else could have possibly pulled off. Timing the placement of the puck so that Bourque's skate kicked it forward, while simultaneously fooling Bourque into thinking Lemieux lost possession as he Accelerated.

Unreal. Nobodyelse, not Orr, nor Gretzky could have done it. Lemieux had more natural talent than anyone I have ever seen.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
Mario Lemieux by far. This isn't even a doubt in my mind. He could make all-star defenseman looks like scrubs.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Not like that. That goal was someting special. Thats as good as he ever did one on on with a defenseman.

The best part was the post-game interview where the media guys were asking Mario about the goal and he just said : "I always wanted to do that to Ray" and laughed.

:amazed:

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Gotta go with Denis Savard by a slight margin over Gil Perreault. Both were ahead of anything Mario did. I've never seen anyone handle the puck better than Savard!

Bure was maybe the best one-on-four player I've ever seen! He tried it far too often, but the scary thing was when he would pull it off! It was like a game to him, it seemed.

Bobby Orr was all about small dekes, then accelerating past the defender. Had decent one-on-one moves, but used his speed more than anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad