Best Oiler playoff series of years past?

WayneGreatzky

Nov 26, 2014
Edmonton
1998 when they roared back from 3-1 series deficit to beat a very good Patrick Roy led Avalanche team.

Weight, Guerin, Cujo....loved those gritty lots o heart Oilers teams on the late 90's - early '00s :handclap:

Oct 15, 2008
The 90 opening round vs Winnipeg. I think they were down 3 games to 1 or 3-0 and came back to win the series. Went on to win their only cup post Gretzky.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The epic dethroning of the Habs by young upstarts in 1981 was incredible stuff. The Oilers actually swept the dynastic Habs in that series.

From failing hands the Habs ironically passed that torch to the Oilers. Only time then was required to see this new dynastic team through to its zenith. it ws clear this would be an unstoppable force.

But 1981 playoffs was the moment you knew all great things were in the offing.

For me that first establishing of greatness was magnificent. The boys on the bench singing "here we go Oilers" Fitting.

Other than that the culminating moment of the 84 SCF series and the actual displacement of current dynasty is the highest peak.

87 SCF final then gets a nod due to it being a 7 game slobberknocker and the only 7 game SC final that the Oilers were involved in to that point.

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
The late 90's had many energy guys. They were always fun to watch vs Dallas

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Loved 06 vs the Wings. Everyone thought the Wings would destroy us.

You can also remove Wings and put in Sharks and Ducks.

How fitting that only when we lost only when we weren't considered a huge underdog. :cry:

But seriosuly, the 06 Detroit series and the I think 97 Dallas series were both emotional roller coasters. Back and forth action. Never say die attitude by our guys. And underdog victories to top it all off.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
1985 vs chicago semi final

Edm 11 chi 2
Edm 7 chi 3
Chi 5 Edm 2
Chi 8 Edm 6
Edm 10 Chi 5
Edm 8 Chi 2

The glory days, Kurri had 3 hattricks in that series. :)

0ilerman

The King
Mar 17, 2008
Capital City
1985 vs chicago semi final

Edm 11 chi 2
Edm 7 chi 3
Chi 5 Edm 2
Chi 8 Edm 6
Edm 10 Chi 5
Edm 8 Chi 2

The glory days, Kurri had 3 hattricks in that series. :)

For someone born shortly after this series, those scorelines seem absolutely ridiculous! If only playoff hockey nowadays had those kind of scorelines

KenLinsemanFanClub

Sorry State
Nov 26, 2003
Isle of Van
The epic dethroning of the Habs by young upstarts in 1981 was incredible stuff. The Oilers actually swept the dynastic Habs in that series.

From failing hands the Habs ironically passed that torch to the Oilers. Only time then was required to see this new dynastic team through to its zenith. it ws clear this would be an unstoppable force.

But 1981 playoffs was the moment you knew all great things were in the offing.

For me that first establishing of greatness was magnificent. The boys on the bench singing "here we go Oilers" Fitting.

Other than that the culminating moment of the 84 SCF series and the actual displacement of current dynasty is the highest peak.

87 SCF final then gets a nod due to it being a 7 game slobberknocker and the only 7 game SC final that the Oilers were involved in to that point.

Yep, probably dating myself badly with this as some of you may not even have been born then, but the 81 series absolutely was the most exciting I ever saw. Andy Moog was lights out in the series and the announcers were flabbergasted that this upstart team was taking it to the mighty Habs.

Last edited:

McOilers4cup

Finally
Jul 14, 2007
High Hopes
1991 Flames Beukeboom & Smith were amazing , I believe the Oilers were down 3-0 game 7 in Calgary Esa Tikkanen won it in Overtime I remember it as series when it was over you respected the Flames not just hated them.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
It's 1997 VS the Stars for me. Missing the playoffs for 4 consecutive years and finally making the playoffs, and winning against the heavily favored Stars was magical.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
1998 when they roared back from 3-1 series deficit to beat a very good Patrick Roy led Avalanche team.

Weight, Guerin, Cujo....loved those gritty lots o heart Oilers teams on the late 90's - early '00s :handclap:

In that video, that looks more like Rem Murray and not Scott Fraser...but I cant' really remember what Fraser looks like.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
1991 Flames Beukeboom & Smith were amazing , I believe the Oilers were down 3-0 game 7 in Calgary Esa Tikkanen won it in Overtime I remember it as series when it was over you respected the Flames not just hated them.

This was a hell of a series. :thumbu: ....they have the whole series if you follow the youtube link.

Ogopogo*

The fact of the matter is, only a series that ends with the Oilers winning the Stanley Cup can be considered the greatest.

So, for a sixth best series, I will say the 1991 series vs Calgary. Particular emphasis on game 7 - Esa Tikkanen was absolutely amazing that night. Right up there would be 1981 vs the Habs - amazing theatre.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
Even though we lost, that Hurricanes/Oilers series was pretty ****ing epic.

Markkanen stepping up and playing for his life was amazing.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

From failing hands the Habs ironically passed that torch to the Oilers.

^that series and the Oilers annihilation of the Calgary Flames in the 1988 playoffs were 2 series that really stood out for me! :clap:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011

Yes!!

This is the "GREAT SAVE JOSEPH" one right? Different announcer on this video so I'm not sure if that's the save

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
1997 vs Dallas. Had absolutely no business winning that series on paper, but it was an absolute war, with some double OT games, us coming back from 3-0 down with less than 2 minutes left to win a game, CuJo making the save of the century on Nieuwendyk, and of course Todd Marchant sniping high blocker on Moog in OT of game 7.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
This was a hell of a series. :thumbu: ....they have the whole series if you follow the youtube link.

My choice too. The intensity was off the chart- aside from Game 7 during which both teams were pretty much spent. Of course Tikkanen's OT winner made even that game epic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad