Value of: Best offer for those players from Montréal

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
LA may be low on Kaliyev given he was healthy scratched numerous times and has not produced as expected. Same goes for Barron. The question is, does LA have a need for a young RHD at the expense of a young LW.
No. Spence and Clarke are much better and they still have Doughty, he'd be in the same logjam he is in in Montreal, probably worse

Ledge And Dairy

Huh? He's getting paid good backup/secondary platoon goalie money and feels like he's pretty comfortably in the top 20 goalies after the last two seasons. He and Primeau have straight up stolen like 8-10 games between them this year or Montreal would be snugly in the bottom 5
Ok lets try this again. I am not calling him overpaid, I am calling his cap hit questionable because he's never been a starter and any competing team buying a goalie is not going to spend high value assets (like a 1st as the OP suggested) for that. Is he better than pretending starters like Vanecek and Samsonov? Yeah probably but I would rank him about the same as Mrazek right now. I also wouldn't call him comfortably top 20. He's definitely not top 15 as I would have (not ranked perfectly) Saros, Vasilevskiy, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Hellebuyck, Oettinger, Demko, Swayman, Ullmark, Markstrom, Bobrovsky, Jarry, Skinner, Binnington, and Hill all easily above him. Then I would probably take UPL, Talbot, and Andersen too

There is actually a stat for the amount of games stolen by a goalie, WAR. Monty and Primeau have a combined +4 Wins Above Replacement meaning they've essentially stolen 4 total games this year, certainly not 8-10.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
A late 1st without a doubt, 2 years left at 4.875, for a #3D who can produce 40-50 points/season, it's good value.
i am not here to discuss the value of matheson. i just wanted to point out, that depending on the topic the same players seem to be completely differently valued by certain fans.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Wayfarer13

Jun 21, 2020
It's kind of silly to call a guy who has never played more than 40 games in a season and has a sub .900 save percentage a legit starter. Legit starters play 50+ games and have .910+ save percentages. He's 28 to start next season, it's not like this is a 23 year old goalie.
Yah what we have through the last 4 years has thrown a wrench into the HF metrics of evaluation. The games still need to be played and the trend is still in the positive.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Ok lets try this again. I am not calling him overpaid, I am calling his cap hit questionable because he's never been a starter and any competing team buying a goalie is not going to spend high value assets (like a 1st as the OP suggested) for that. Is he better than pretending starters like Vanecek and Samsonov? Yeah probably but I would rank him about the same as Mrazek right now. I also wouldn't call him comfortably top 20. He's definitely not top 15 as I would have (not ranked perfectly) Saros, Vasilevskiy, Shesterkin, Sorokin, Hellebuyck, Oettinger, Demko, Swayman, Ullmark, Markstrom, Bobrovsky, Jarry, Skinner, Binnington, and Hill all easily above him. Then I would probably take UPL, Talbot, and Andersen too

There is actually a stat for the amount of games stolen by a goalie, WAR. Monty and Primeau have a combined +4 Wins Above Replacement meaning they've essentially stolen 4 total games this year, certainly not 8-10.
Fair, frankly he is making about 400K less than I predicted so I have no complaints, if he's bringing the standard of play he's set in the last two years it's a slight underpay, and if he improves it's a steal of a deal. I think he's proven himself a capable platoon starter at least so for certain teams who want to try to go cheap in the net he could make sense - like I think he's an upgrade in both Toronto and Colorado for example, or maybe to split time on a team with a younger up and coming goalie. Agree on all those names but Talbot, when I say comfortably in the top 20 I do still mean the tail end of that, but I think he's in there

Not going to debate the WAR stat but it is still based on data without context and technically, that's the amount of wins they've "stolen" in comparison to their peers - and I think goalies probably steal more games than the average position.

I definitely don't think Montreal would let him go for anything less than a 1st, honestly not even sure if that would be worth it at that point as they're trying to take strides forward, but regardless yes unlikely anyone would pay that for him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad