Best of the Rest: Stars Edition - Sergei Zubov

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
CTbU5-aUsAAVFQZ.jpg

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
The best Dallas Star ever. His vision for the game was as good as it gets.

Bold statement. Everyone adores Mo, but I think I agree with you. If he had played his entire career with the Stars Franchise, I think it would be more clear cut. DMen of his calibre are so much rarer than a franchise forward. Modano gets extra points for being drafted by the North Stars and putting in 20-odd years in our uniform, but if we're talking about who is the rarer talent...I think Zubov is the guy. He played in a defensive system with poor forwards during the bankruptcy years that stifled his offensive numbers just like Modano did for a good portion of his stay here. If he'd have played in New York or Pittsburgh for the latter half of his career, his numbers would probably be closer to a PPG.

Both Modano and Zubov were amazing two-way players. Modano meant more to the franchise's survival and was the face of the franchise, but I think if we're talking about their importance to the team and effect on the outcome of our games...I'd give the slight edge to Zubie.

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
Zubov was great, no doubt about that. That trade June 1996 changed our direction.

That said, a big skilled elite 2-way center leading the way in those years can't be slighted. The guy went up against guys like Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Steve Yzerman, etc etc. Hitch being able to play Mo against those guys was massive. It's not like his talent was easy to come by.

Anytime the team needed a boost, or an offensive spark at a crucial time whether regular season or playoffs, we all know in whose direction down the bench everyone looked.

The two worked so well together though and fed off each other. Both had skill levels far above their mates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad