Best of the non HHOF 60 goal men

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
In light of OVechkin scoring 60 goals this year I was looking at the list of players who have scored 60 in a season in their career. Almost all of them are in the Hall of Fame or will be in there when they are eligible. I assume that Bure will get in as well, and Ovechkin will be a lock once his career is done.

But there were 4 guys out there. Mogilny, Maruk, Nicholls and Leach that hit 60 but either arent or wont ever be in the Hall. So I got to wondering why not ask from #1-4 who is the closest to having enough credentials to get in the Hall? This is what I thought.

Nicholls
Mogilny
Leach
Maruk

(none belong though, but Nicholls is the closest thing out of the 4 IMO)

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
Out of those four IMO Mogilny was the best player. He was probably the most talented from those early 90's russian stars (Bure, Fedorov) and he certainly had enough talent to be inducted to HOF, but his inconsistency will keep him out. There was nothing he couldn't do in the offensive zone, he could score a goal or set up a teammate equally well. With his consistency issues he still put up a good career, but still it's pretty shame he didn't do more damage in the league with his talent.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Not saying hes the most qualified but Mogilny looks like a HHOF guy..

1032pts in 990games. 473 goals.
2 100pt+ seasons.
2 80pt + seasons.
2 79pt seasons.

He had a 76 goal season, a 55goal season, 43goal season and 5 other seasons scoring in between 30-39 goals.

Over his career he earned his fair share of hardware:
World Junior Championship (Best Forward) - 1988
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy - 2003
World Cup of Hockey Teams - 1996, 2004
NHL Second All-Star Team - 1993, 1996
Stanley Cup - 2000
Olympic Gold Medal - 1988
NHL All-Star Game(s) - 1992, 1993, 1994, 1996, 2001
Member of Triple Gold Club

A decent playoff resume 124games, 39 goals and 89pts overall.

---
Looking at Bernie Nicholls should really be in there too, he had a great peak! And he was quite the all around player, from veteran leader to defensively responsible to offensive dynamite.

Al Bundy*

Nicholls should be in the HOF.

Even without that 70 goal, 150 point season, he STILL had over 400 goals and 1,000 points.

That season was icing on what should be a HOF-cake.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
No love for Bure? 60 goal guy not in the hall.

I honestly never thought Bernie was that great. His numbers are a bit inflated from playing in the high scoring era of the 80's / early 90's.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No love for Bure? 60 goal guy not in the hall.

I honestly never thought Bernie was that great. His numbers are a bit inflated from playing in the high scoring era of the 80's / early 90's.

In the OP I mention that Bure will eventually get in on assumption so I dont include him

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
And Ovechkin, what's your excuse for that one? ;)

I'm taking a gamble - a huge gamble - but I will go on the assumption he's HHOF bound once his career is over, he's no Denis Maruk, but still..........

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Nicholls played in the 80's and his numbers are average. I don't think he is HHOF material, but he will probably get in eventually.

Bure is another can of worms, but with Neely in the hall, players like Bure and Lindros might get in.

Bure is definately not 100%, but he has a strong case and without injuries he is a lock. Bure has those years in florida with 58 and 59 goals which really help his case. Personally I almost put Bure in ahead of Mogilny.

Mogilny, he is another I would consider borderline and pretty close just looking at the NHL part of his career. Add in his international and I think it pushes him over the line, Olympic gold is pretty important. He was one of the youngest players to play for the Soviets and win a gold medal ( maybe even one of the youngest for any nation ).

Selanne, out of all the 60+ goal scorers not in the HHOF, is the only player I would say is 100% getting in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad