Best of both worlds for Hamilton??

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Just a thought, question. Although I suspected that DH would secure a spot (7th or otherwise) with the B`s had camp opened on time. There`s always some who are ardent supporters of a kid playing another year of Junior to work on things.

Question is, with "potentially" the NHL playing in the New Year, and with Hamilton playing the first half of the year and the WJHC`s, could this be the best of both worlds for the kid this year?

A little more time to work on things, then his pro career starts?

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
hey Andrew - I think I'm on board with your line of thinking.

While playing with better competitions makes us better, he's still competing against solid players and playing a more mature/leadership role. WJHC will be good international exposure and if the NHL does open back up in January, he'll be well conditioned and perhaps ready for the next step in the evolution.

However, with a shortened scheduled, I'm unsure if he'll have a super-long leash as there won't be the luxury of learning on the job. He's a rookie and a teenager, he'll make mistakes - that's to be expected.

But I do believe that, with Z + Dennis as mentors, he'll be a solid addition to the blueline. But I still expected him to ride in the press box from time to time.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
hey Andrew - I think I'm on board with your line of thinking.

While playing with better competitions makes us better, he's still competing against solid players and playing a more mature/leadership role. WJHC will be good international exposure and if the NHL does open back up in January, he'll be well conditioned and perhaps ready for the next step in the evolution.

However, with a shortened scheduled, I'm unsure if he'll have a super-long leash as there won't be the luxury of learning on the job. He's a rookie and a teenager, he'll make mistakes - that's to be expected.

But I do believe that, with Z + Dennis as mentors, he'll be a solid addition to the blueline. But I still expected him to ride in the press box from time to time.

I agree with you, I think CJ would have always insulated him regardless, with the D-men in Boston, it isn`t an absolute necessity for him to step in and play huge minutes initially anyways.

hockeybpr25

Dec 31, 2009
Although I see your point, I could also see it being the opposite. Games will mean more which could lead to them not keeping him up because they can't "afford" to have him mess up and potential lose games for the Bruins. That being said, I'd be very disappointed if there was a season and he wasn't playing for the Bruins. Kid's ready to take that next step.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Chara-Boychuk
Seidenberg-McQuaid
Ference-*

I think Chiarelli fully intended on giving Hamilton a spot by not signing Mottau or Zanon. That last spot is between him and Krug. I think Hamilton takes the 6th spot, but we'll probably see a lot of switching between the two of them.

He's probably going to be borderline bad period, even ignoring the fact of how little chances he's going to be given. He's a rookie. But hey, Seguin was kept on a short leash and a muzzle his first season, and look where he is now. The worst thing we could possibly do to the kid is rush him.

He's definitely at the point where he's too good for the OHL, but ready enough for the NHL, much like Seguin in 2009-10. It's likely we see the same thing happen to Dougie as Seguin, which isn't a bad thing by any means. Let him soak up the experience without much pressure. After that he just needs to play hockey, and I'm sure he'll live up to his potential, even if it takes a while. We got a gem here.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Has his play advanced,maintained,or stalled this year?

Seems hard to say as he is so dominant. He is still the best defenseman in Juniors. His scoring may be off slightly this year, but it seems the Bruins asked him to focus more on the defensive end, and he is still scoring a ton of points

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Chara-Boychuk
Seidenberg-McQuaid
Ference-*

I think Chiarelli fully intended on giving Hamilton a spot by not signing Mottau or Zanon. That last spot is between him and Krug. I think Hamilton takes the 6th spot, but we'll probably see a lot of switching between the two of them.

He's probably going to be borderline bad period, even ignoring the fact of how little chances he's going to be given. He's a rookie. But hey, Seguin was kept on a short leash and a muzzle his first season, and look where he is now. The worst thing we could possibly do to the kid is rush him.

He's definitely at the point where he's too good for the OHL, but ready enough for the NHL, much like Seguin in 2009-10. It's likely we see the same thing happen to Dougie as Seguin, which isn't a bad thing by any means. Let him soak up the experience without much pressure. After that he just needs to play hockey, and I'm sure he'll live up to his potential, even if it takes a while. We got a gem here.
You can't discount Johnson for that sixth roster spot. He's got the experience a contending team needs. I don't think the GM acquired him to sit on a press box fold-up.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Seems hard to say as he is so dominant. He is still the best defenseman in Juniors. His scoring may be off slightly this year, but it seems the Bruins asked him to focus more on the defensive end, and he is still scoring a ton of points

Ideally,you'd like to see the numbers improve each year but there are so many factors I don't know about.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ideally,you'd like to see the numbers improve each year but there are so many factors I don't know about.

Well his numbers aren't down much over his numbers from last year, but I do think he was scoring at a higher clip the first half last year.

2011/2012 50 games 17 Goals 55 assists 72 points +37

This year 32 games 8 goals 33 assists 41 points. +24
(15th in league in scoring)

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Well his numbers aren't down much over his numbers from last year, but I do think he was scoring at a higher clip the first half last year.

2011/2012 50 games 17 Goals 55 assists 72 points +37

This year 32 games 8 goals 33 assists 41 points. +24
(15th in league in scoring)

PPG pace in juniors=.25-.86-1.44-1.28. Wouldn't like it if he was a forward but probably means nothing here.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Yeah, I think since he will have gotten so many games under his belt you can bring him up to Boston and its no biggie if he gets press box duty.

QUESTION- shouldn't he be able to play in the AHL playoff time? I know he was ineligable this year but lots of guys who can't play in the A in the fall out of training camp end up there after juniors end? Would love to know the details of that.

I sort of think that since our PP blows so hard there will be significant expectations on him to chip in points if he had played this year. He's automatically going to be on the power play so hopefully the extra time helps there.

He was very skinny at D camp. So the extra time will help on that.

The other thing is his size/reach and the fact that he might play next to Z makes it somewhat likely that he could show up and look like he is better than he actually is. So when us fans are blowing smoke up his butt for looking awesome the reality is he isn't ready to play on the third with McQ and he's just looking good next to the best defensive player in NHL history. IF that is the situation it might be a problem in the playoffs since he'll be unscratchable. But we did scratch Seguin game 3 of the Cup finals. (Sorry if that sounds contradictory and is confusing.)

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
You can't discount Johnson for that sixth roster spot. He's got the experience a contending team needs. I don't think the GM acquired him to sit on a press box fold-up.

Completely forgot we signed Johnson.

I'd say Hamilton gets the 6th spot and Johnson gets the 7th, we have some pretty fragile defensemen so he'll see some time.

Krug playing in Providence wouldn't hurt at all... He played good in the games he played last year but I definitely agree experience counts for a lot. Good pickup, can't believe I forgot.

PPG pace in juniors=.25-.86-1.44-1.28. Wouldn't like it if he was a forward but probably means nothing here.

Don't forget he's working more on his defensive game, too. Much more beneficial for us. Good offensive defensemen who play "meh" or ****** defense don't exactly have a great history here... Kaberle, Corblow, etc.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
The production is still real good, Niagara doesn't have the team they had last year + he's still number one in the entire CHL for pts per game as a defensemen. What I want to know is, does he improve his defensive positionning and is he better defending one on one? I only saw him at last year WJC and this summer series against the russian, but to me he never look good in those aspect and it needs to improve for him to play in the NHL. So does anyone who saw him can comment if he improve those aspect of his game?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I recently watched the Knights/Dogs game on Sportsnet and the commentators (RJ Broadhead if I`m correct) spoke directly about the insistence of Bruins management that Dougie really works hard at improving his defensive zone play, they know he`s uber skilled offensively and they don`t want him to curtail his game in that respect, but they wanted him to continue working hard at becoming more consistent defensively.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I recently watched the Knights/Dogs game on Sportsnet and the commentators (RJ Broadhead if I`m correct) spoke directly about the insistence of Bruins management that Dougie really works hard at improving his defensive zone play, they know he`s uber skilled offensively and they don`t want him to curtail his game in that respect, but they wanted him to continue working hard at becoming more consistent defensively.

I heard his coach say he still needs work defensively and physically he has to get stronger. This was prior to the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad