Olympics: Best NHL Team (Chicago/Boston/Pitts/Ana) in the Olympics (How well would they do?)

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Just curious on how well you think that the best NHL team would do in the standings if they were able to somehow enter the Olympics. I have listed 4 teams in the title, but feel free to argue how well your favourite team would do as well if you'd like.

(Take into consideration when you answer that the player would be forced to play for their NHL team instead of their Olympic team due to some sort of CBA clause that I have just made up)

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Pretty well imo. It's hard to adjust to new players, strategies, coaches, ice, etc. in a short amount of time. I don't think they would win but I could see Chicago medaling.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Yes, the chemistry/new systems plays a large role here. In favour of NHL teams. However, the games are played on the larger ice now.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Canada would be extremely pissed off.

Getzlaf
Perry
Crosby
Kunitz
Sharp
Keith
Toews
Bergeron

Is there any other team that would be hit that hard? US would lose Fowler, Orpik, Martin and Kane, which would be pretty rough on the defense.

hitmen19

Jan 21, 2013
Canada would be extremely pissed off.

Getzlaf
Perry
Crosby
Kunitz
Sharp
Keith
Toews
Bergeron

Is there any other team that would be hit that hard? US would lose Fowler, Orpik, Martin and Kane, which would be pretty rough on the defense.

I think he meant take one of those 4 teams and then put them in, not all 4

Thesensation19*

I think you can take the worst team in the NHL and they would fair pretty well. Simply because they have so much chemistry and experience with one another and the system they play...

talent speaking... Im sure fairly well.

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
I think the Hawks would do very well. Chemistry with teammates and a familiarity with the systems of a regular head coach are big advantages. The Hawks are fast, play a game that doesn't seem like it'd be effected too much by the big ice. Plus losing Keith and Toews would weaken Canada, losing Kane would really weaken the US, as well as Hjalmarsson for Sweden. I think they'd definitely get to the quarters with a good shot at the medal round.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I think Chicago and Anaheim's style would fit well on the big ice. But with Pitt taking Crosby away from Canada and Malkin away from Russia would be able to get to a medal round.

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Chicago would win gold. No Kane ruins the US chance. No Toews, Keith and Sharp ruins Canada's chance. Hawks beat Russia in the gold medal game to take home gold.

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
Chicago would win gold. No Kane ruins the US chance. No Toews, Keith and Sharp ruins Canada's chance. Hawks beat Russia in the gold medal game to take home gold.

Canada could replace them with Giroux, Giordano and St.Louis

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
The first 2 lines of some of those teams would hold their own. Well maybe the first line anyway

But the 3rd and 4th lines on those NHL teams are going to be over matched and will give up goals. It would not be pretty.

Lots of good players got snubbed so even if a national team were to lose a couple of players, they just add more quality players.

Best I see is a Bronze , if that, for a current NHL team.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Middle of the pack. They'd beat the teams who are lucky to be there but would be lucky to win a game against a contender.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
The first 2 lines of some of those teams would hold their own. Well maybe the first line anyway

But the 3rd and 4th lines on those NHL teams are going to be over matched and will give up goals. It would not be pretty.

Lots of good players got snubbed so even if a national team were to lose a couple of players, they just add more quality players.

I think guys like Bickell and Bollig might be more effective on big ice than small because of their straight ahead speed. It's agility and acceleration they might miss.

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013

It'd be interesting to see the best international players try to deal with a guy like Shaw, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad