Best MVP Season of the 2010's

Best MVP Season of the 2010's?

• Total voters

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I still remember how god damn unstoppable Geno was 2012. Phil Kessel was leading him by some ridiculous amount early in the season and somepeople were predicting Kessel to finish with way more points. Malkin caught up with him in like two weeks. Kucherov and Kane were both really impressive, but my eyes tell me that Malkin was the best of the bunch.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Malkin for sure. Both statistical dominance over his peers and the eye test agree for me, plus it wasn't even really driven by an increase in his underlying numbers that suggest it was unsustainable the way several other seasons were. People talk about Crosby's '11 all the time, but Malkin basically put up the same stat line in the second half of his season.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
I don't think there has been a truly dominant Hart win since Ovy's 65 goal year, so I homer voted my boy Price. I think he has the most unique win of anyone up there, and the team's performance without him the next season should speak volumes.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Malkin and Price for the sheer dominance they had in their season. Dark horse is Hall for me.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Malkin's 2012 season is the best of the 2010's IMO, and the second or third best season after the lockout, after Ovie's 65 goal season. Maybe's Ovechkin's 2009 season is tied or better than Malkin's 2012.

Last edited:

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
It's probably Malkin, but I still went with Price, because I'm a homer, and because he was just a total beast that year.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think Price’s season is a bit overrated to be honest. I don’t think it’s really any better than Bobrovsky’s Vezina win a couple years ago. The only reason he won the Hart as clearly as he did was because that was the weakest Art Ross race since who knows when.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Malkin for sure. Both statistical dominance over his peers and the eye test agree for me, plus it wasn't even really driven by an increase in his underlying numbers that suggest it was unsustainable the way several other seasons were. People talk about Crosby's '11 all the time, but Malkin basically put up the same stat line in the second half of his season.
If Tampa makes the playoffs that year, the MVP vote ends up pretty close.

Reactions: Voight

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I think Price’s season is a bit overrated to be honest. I don’t think it’s really any better than Bobrovsky’s Vezina win a couple years ago. The only reason he won the Hart as clearly as he did was because that was the weakest Art Ross race since who knows when.
It's the weakest Art Ross win since...

ummm...

Maybe since the Art Ross was a thing? Seriously might be the worst all time. I agree - Price's season wasn't historically impressive from a goaltender, it just occurred in that perfect storm situation of really bad scoring year and a great year for Price. You put his season in any year other than *maybe* 2011, and he doesn't win the Hart.

And while I know I'm going to come off as a homer, it's Kucherov. It's the highest scoring season since 1996. He set the record for points by a Russian and tied the record for assists by a winger. He won the Art Ross by double digits. He outscored #10 in scoring by 32 points (although admittedly Malkin's was 31 points so almost as significant).

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
It's the weakest Art Ross win since...

ummm...

Maybe since the Art Ross was a thing? Seriously might be the worst all time. I agree - Price's season wasn't historically impressive from a goaltender, it just occurred in that perfect storm situation of really bad scoring year and a great year for Price. You put his season in any year other than *maybe* 2011, and he doesn't win the Hart.

And while I know I'm going to come off as a homer, it's Kucherov. It's the highest scoring season since 1996. He set the record for points by a Russian and tied the record for assists by a winger. He won the Art Ross by double digits. He outscored #10 in scoring by 32 points (although admittedly Malkin's was 31 points so almost as significant).

Kucherov won the ross by 12pts but played 4 MORE games than McDavid (82-78). Malkin won the ross by 12pts but played 7 LESS games than Stamkos (75-82). Yes McDavid > Stamkos, but that's a big difference in GP for the same raw margin of victory. Malkin was also 2nd in goals and GPG, Kucherov was 6th in goals and not in the top 10 for GPG. Then factoring in the support each received I think as great as Kucherov's season was, Malkin was just a bit better.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
If Tampa makes the playoffs that year, the MVP vote ends up pretty close.

Nah. Stamkos wasn't really that close as an overall offensive player. First team all star voting isn't influenced by the playoffs and Malkin dominated 1st team center votes 145 to 4

Last edited:
Reactions: Plural

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Kucherov won the ross by 12pts but played 4 MORE games than McDavid (82-78). Malkin won the ross by 12pts but played 7 LESS games than Stamkos (75-82). Yes McDavid > Stamkos, but that's a big difference in GP for the same raw margin of victory. Malkin was also 2nd in goals and GPG, Kucherov was 6th in goals and not in the top 10 for GPG. Then factoring in the support each received I think as great as Kucherov's season was, Malkin was just a bit better.

Kucherov also was propped up by secondary assists on the PP. He's the key part of that PP but that PP also had numerous weapons. It was a great season, but was clearly a season where his point totals were greater than his play

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Statistically on the surface, yes, but I remember all the advanced stats gurus at the time that tried to account for shot quality put it decently ahead of similar statistical years. I didn't look into it too deeply at the time but that seems to jive with the eye test as well. I do think he benefitted from the poor forward crop though

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Statistically on the surface, yes, but I remember all the advanced stats gurus at the time that tried to account for shot quality put it decently ahead of similar statistical years. I didn't look into it too deeply at the time but that seems to jive with the eye test as well. I do think he benefitted from the poor forward crop though

I’m no “advanced stat guru” but if you look at corsica’s GSAA stat, which accounts for shot quality, Bobrovsky actually has 2 seasons which rank higher than Price’s MVP season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I don't think there has been a truly dominant Hart win since Ovy's 65 goal year, so I homer voted my boy Price. I think he has the most unique win of anyone up there, and the team's performance without him the next season should speak volumes.

Kucherov just set the single season point record for a Russian player while the team had the best regular season since the Red Wings. Thats gotta be up there if you liked any of the other russian players here...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad