Best Major Junior fighers?

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
I know there's a post about top NHL tough guys, what about toughest CHL players?

From my generation.

WHL

Paul Kruse
Scott Parker
Colton Orr
Jon Mirasty
Mitch Fritz
Kris Mallette
Rocky Thompson
Rob Skrlac
Mike Brown
Triston Grant

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Because kids beating each other up is lovely. I d say Skrlac's dad can beat up Brown's dad

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
And adults beating each other up is better? Get a grip softy.

Adults have full agency. Major junior would probably get in child protective services trouble in Europe.

BTW there have been criminal assault charges filed in both Sweden and Finland for on ice assaults in adult games.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Colton Orr was a monster in juniors. D.J. King comes to mind, Parker is a good choice as well.

Just a thought, if you don't like fighting don't post in a fight forum. There are plenty Disney princesses who hate tough hockey on this board, go commiserate with them

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
In terms of fighting Jordan Nolan was an absolute monster, but I struggle to call him "tough" after he suckered Mahalak.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Derek Mathers was the unanimous champ when I was an avid follower of the OHL; very seldom did he ever lose. Kyle Neuber was the best during his time with the Majors. Kevin Cormier was feared during his time on Halifax.

Rocky Thompson, Sandy McCarthy, Georges Laraque, Bob Probert, Grant McNeill, Mike Brown, Scott Parker, Kyle Freadrich, Rob Skrlac, Louie DeBrusk, John Erskine, Darin Kimble, Tony Twist, Matt Johnson, Craig Berube were all names that come to mind for myself when referring to impressive major junior resumes.

Last edited:

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Derek Mathers was the unanimous champ when I was an avid follower of the OHL; very seldom did he ever lose.

Mathers was an older player and had a 30 year old mans body when he was in juniors. He really struggled fighting other heavies when he got to the minor leagues. Derek really got by on overpowering younger fighters with pretty meh fighting ability.

Reactions: Your Boy Troy

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
There were some others such as Zach Fitzgerald, Deryk Engelland, Joey Tetarenko, Matt Somerfeld, Kyle Freaderich, Stephen Peat, Milan Lucic, Matt Kassian, Ryan Jorde, Derek Boogaard.

Reactions: Fixxer

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Derek Mathers was the unanimous champ when I was an avid follower of the OHL; very seldom did he ever lose. Kyle Neuber was the best during his time with the Majors. Kevin Cormier was feared during his time on Halifax.

Rocky Thompson, Sandy McCarthy, Georges Laraque, Bob Probert, Grant McNeill, Mike Brown, Scott Parker, Kyle Freadrich, Rob Skrlac, Louie DeBrusk, John Erskine, Darin Kimble, Tony Twist, Matt Johnson, Craig Berube were all names that come to mind for myself when referring to impressive major junior resumes.

came here to say these 2 names. I remember seeing these guys fight as a kid and was absolutely terrified. Even the local newspaper would print articles when Medicine Hat came to town to hype up how tough Rocky Thompson was and the place would sell out to see him fight...

fun fact though about Thompson... as terrifying he was and also a golden gloves boxer, he also had scholarship offers to golf in the States. Was an unbelievable golfer

The fighters back then in junior and the fighters now don't even compare. Even looking back at their junior fights on youtube, they all looked like they were like 35 years old. The tough guys nowadays actually look 18/19ish.

How cool would it be to see a tilt like this in junior nowadays lol.....

Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Am I the only one that thinks Parker was a dissapointment in the NHL as a fighter?
That's probably correct. Certainly below expectations. Didn't he have a bunch of injuries, though? He only played in around 300 games. In his last 3 seasons, he played a total of 56 games. It also hurt him that he wasn't much of a hockey player and the league was transitioning away from enforcers after the lockout.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
came here to say these 2 names. I remember seeing these guys fight as a kid and was absolutely terrified. Even the local newspaper would print articles when Medicine Hat came to town to hype up how tough Rocky Thompson was and the place would sell out to see him fight...

fun fact though about Thompson... as terrifying he was and also a golden gloves boxer, he also had scholarship offers to golf in the States. Was an unbelievable golfer

The fighters back then in junior and the fighters now don't even compare. Even looking back at their junior fights on youtube, they all looked like they were like 35 years old. The tough guys nowadays actually look 18/19ish.

How cool would it be to see a tilt like this in junior nowadays lol.....

That is right up there as one of the craziest junior fights I have seen.

I grew up in Saskatoon when the goon era was breaking 1975. The legendary goon coaches were Paddy Ginnel and Ernie punch McClean. I watched through until Kimble and Twist Joined the NHL.

I would say the guy who was the biggest junior legend in the Dub in that stretch was Dave Brown.

Last edited:

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm 39 so, for me, Parker was the guy that had the crazy hype.

I didn't follow closely enough back then but Matt Johnson had this "Next Probert" hype when the Kings drafted him early. Don't know if he was an absolute monster but I imagine he was.

As for Jordan Nolan, he is/was a pretty good fighter for his era since he's a guy that played regular 4th line minutes during the Kings 2012 cup run. He isn't an enforcer, per se, so I think he has done pretty well. Throws with both hands and can take a punch.

Reactions: vandymeer13

Blade Runner

Jun 8, 2007
Sylvain Blouin was a beast in the minors (huge win over Georges Laraque and more) but he was meh in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad