Best Line/Bench Clearing Brawls

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
I was watching TSN sportcentre the other night and saw the huge NLL bench clearing brawl, and it got me thinking about bench clearing brawls from yesteryear

I was just wondering what is everyones favorite line or bench clearing brawl they have ever seen.

straka91*

Sens/Phil
Sens/Buf
Det/Col
Bos/Dal

are some recent ones to come to mind
A lot of good ones in the 70's/80's/early 90's

Hollywood

Mar 2, 2004
Canada
1987 world Juniors... The refs left the ice...They turned out the lights on the ice to attempt to stop the fight...
Players such as Luke richardson, Brendan Shannahan, Theo Fleury, Pierre Turgeon.
People don't understand how scary a hockey fight can be.... A line brawl is crazy.... a Bench brawl is beyond nuts....

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Turgeon never participated in the 1987 brawl, he was the only Canadian player that stayed on the bench. He always lacked in the "testicular fortitude" department.

Habs and Bruins when Nilan was kicked out of the game and tried to get at that gutless puke Linesman and it ended up spilling into the hallway behind the Bruins bench. Claude Lemieux takes on Nevin Markwart on the ice, while Mike McPhee jumps over the boards only to be stopped by Bruins coach Terry O'Reilly.

Habs and Flyers pre-game brawl where Nilan tries one of the very best of all time in Dave Brown. Brawl starts when Boxcar Hospodar goes after the idiot Claude Lemieux for shooting the puck in the Flyers net after the warmups were over. Claude of course turtles while a young Shayne Corson is kept at bay by the backup goaltender. Everyone comes out of the dressing rooms and Nilan takes on a shirtless Dave Brown who is extremely tough but Nilan does a good job. Larry Robinson ended up breaking Don Nachbaur's nose during that brawl, John Kordic fought someone there too but I can't recall who it was... Wild, wild wild.

Leafs vs Bruins: My old hockey coach Forbes Kennedy was involved prominently in this one. Pat Quinn nearly kills Bobby Orr who was flying through center ice with his head down. Orr is hurt badly and visibily stunned so the Bruins are livid. Later Kennedy was sent on the ice and was told to go stir things up but started a riot which ended him fighting 3 times, including once against goaltender Gerry Cheevers, and accidently cold cocking a linesman. He was also drilled by a couple of irate Bruins fans when he came too close to the boards and they were able to lean over the short glass to get a shot at him. I saw a clip that they had played of this old brawl a few years ago and its extremely wild, one of the worst/best I ever saw.

mygameworn

Dec 24, 2007
Connecticut
mygameworn.net
1987 world Juniors... The refs left the ice...They turned out the lights on the ice to attempt to stop the fight...
Players such as Luke richardson, Brendan Shannahan, Theo Fleury, Pierre Turgeon.
People don't understand how scary a hockey fight can be.... A line brawl is crazy.... a Bench brawl is beyond nuts....

I would have loved to see that...

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
I would have loved to see that...

Brian Williams and Don Cherry did the between the periods commentary for that game for the CBC. Williams a noted bleeding heart type, was really ripping on Canada (and the Russians as well) and said both teams should be disqualified from the tournament. Don, Mr. Canada, obviously thought the Russians started it and Canada was only defending themselves. The back and forth between the two got quite lively and I really think Don wanted to punch Williams at one point (actually both are friends in real life who used to do a radio show together).

The producer joked to them that when they got back from commercial he wanted Cherry to jockingly have his hands around Williams neck. Don said, maybe it's not a good idea because he probably wouldn't let go:laugh:

stocker

Mar 9, 2004
Turgeon never participated in the 1987 brawl, he was the only Canadian player that stayed on the bench. He always lacked in the "testicular fortitude" department.

Habs and Bruins when Nilan was kicked out of the game and tried to get at that gutless puke Linesman and it ended up spilling into the hallway behind the Bruins bench. Claude Lemieux takes on Nevin Markwart on the ice, while Mike McPhee jumps over the boards only to be stopped by Bruins coach Terry O'Reilly.

Habs and Flyers pre-game brawl where Nilan tries one of the very best of all time in Dave Brown. Brawl starts when Boxcar Hospodar goes after the idiot Claude Lemieux for shooting the puck in the Flyers net after the warmups were over. Claude of course turtles while a young Shayne Corson is kept at bay by the backup goaltender. Everyone comes out of the dressing rooms and Nilan takes on a shirtless Dave Brown who is extremely tough but Nilan does a good job. Larry Robinson ended up breaking Don Nachbaur's nose during that brawl, John Kordic fought someone there too but I can't recall who it was... Wild, wild wild.

Leafs vs Bruins: My old hockey coach Forbes Kennedy was involved prominently in this one. Pat Quinn nearly kills Bobby Orr who was flying through center ice with his head down. Orr is hurt badly and visibily stunned so the Bruins are livid. Later Kennedy was sent on the ice and was told to go stir things up but started a riot which ended him fighting 3 times, including once against goaltender Gerry Cheevers, and accidently cold cocking a linesman. He was also drilled by a couple of irate Bruins fans when he came too close to the boards and they were able to lean over the short glass to get a shot at him. I saw a clip that they had played of this old brawl a few years ago and its extremely wild, one of the worst/best I ever saw.
Kordic fought Darryl Stanley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad