Best leagues in Europe

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
What is the ranking of European top leagues today? My ranking would be the following:

1. KHL
2. Elitserien
3. NLA
4. SM-liiga/Extraliiga/DEL
7. Belarus league/Slovak league
9. Austrian league

Fourth seed is split between Finnish, German and Czech leagues. I cannot say which one these three leagues is the best.

Seventh seed is split my Slovak and Belarus league which I think are quite the same level.

I listed only top leagues from each country in Europe. If we want to list all European leagues the Swedish Allsvenskans would probably be comparable to Belarus and Slovak leagues. So would the Vysshaya league from Russia which might be the most underrated league in Europe today.

But how would you rank the top three European minor leagues: Allsvenskans, Vysshaya league and Mestis from Finland?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
What is the ranking of European top leagues today? My ranking would be the following:

1. KHL
2. Elitserien
3. NLA
9. Austrian league

Fourth seed is split between Finnish, German and Czech leagues. I cannot say which one these three leagues is the best.

Seventh seed is split my Slovak and Belarus league which I think are quite the same level.

I listed only top leagues from each country in Europe. If we want to list all European leagues the Swedish Allsvenskans would probably be comparable to Belarus and Slovak leagues. So would the Vysshaya league from Russia which might be the most underrated league in Europe today.

But how would you rank the top three European minor leagues: Allsvenskans, Vysshaya league and Mestis from Finland?

I don´t agree with you at all.

1.KHL
2. SEL
3. SM-liiga
4. NLA
5. DEL/CZE Extraliga
6. Slovak Extraliga
7. EBEL
8. Bellarussian Open league

NLA is not a better league than SM-liiga and comparing it to Czech Extraliga or DEL is offending the quality of this league. I´m not really sure how to rank the CZE Extraliga/DEL as the Extraliga is regressing and the DEL with all its Canadians is pretty much a European mix of ECHL/AHL, but only the top teams are really good.
EBEL is a better leagues than the Belarussian one, and although both are rising leagues and the top teams would probably do good against the bottom Slovak league teams, they´re not good enough to compete against the top teams yet. You have to take in account that the number of Belarussian and Latvian players is quite low and those few that are top quality usually play in the KHL or Vyshaya Liga or somewhere else. The Slovak Extraliga is a little closer to the Czech Extraliga, although it is not comparable that much as there are different styles of hockey played, the Czech one is more deffensive minded while in the Slovak league there is played kind of hoooray offensive hockey. But in most European leagues there is a huge difference between the top teams and the bottom teams.

Last edited:

Ciccarelli

Uncle Gelart
Dec 17, 2005
1. KHL
2. Elitserien
3. NLA
9. Austrian league

I know you opened this thread just to hype the KHL and to mock SM-liiga but whatever.
A.) There's no way NLA is better than SM-liiga, yes it has the better foreigners but the level of the domestic players are far better in Finland, IMHO the swiss NLA players are about as good or even worse than the finns in Mestis (finnish 2-tier) in general.

B.) Belarus league or whatever it's called is bad, way worse than the Austrian and Slovak leagues.

C.) Mestis is one of the few leagues in Europe that are actually getting better not regressing, Sport and KooKoo are allready pretty competitive also the only two Mestis teams that could be succesfull in Allsvenskan which is clearly better league than Mestis. I can't say anything about the Vysshija league the russians always have their own thing and it's extremely hard to get any info of their leagues.

P-M Bouchard

Jun 5, 2004
1. Nhl
2. FNL
3. Elitserien
4. KHL
5. NLA
6. AHL
7. Del
?..Extraliga (Cze), Ncaa Div.1, OHL ,
Ebel Liga, Extraliga (Svk), EIHL, GET-ligaen aso.

Last edited:

STHLM*

1. Nhl
2. FNL
3. Elitserien
4. KHL
5. NLA
6. AHL
7. Del
?..Extraliga (Cze), Ncaa Div.1, OHL ,
Ebel Liga, Extraliga (Slo), EIHL, GET-ligaen aso.

The finnish league over KHL and SEL??? What a big joke!!:laugh:

These are the best leagues in Europe:
1. KHL
2. SEL
3. SM-Liiga

The one who said something else need a doctor!

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The finnish league over KHL and SEL??? What a big joke!!:laugh:

These are the best leagues in Europe:
1. KHL
2. SEL
3. SM-Liiga

The one who said something else need a doctor!

Also I wonder when did NHL, NCAA and OHL become European leagues?And since when does Slovenia have a top rated league?, that it is what SLO means. Let´s not even speak about the fact that comparing junior and college leagues from which many players never even become pro players btw to men´s leagues is out of mind too. Even the top junior national teams would struggle had they faced to competition of most of the here discused leagues.

IF P-M Bpuchard has in fact seen games of KHL, SEL and SM-liiga, I believe it´s about time for him to see an ocularist.:shakehead

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
NLA is not a better league than SM-liiga

Top 50 players in NLA are better than top 50 players in SM-liiga. After that it evens out and the 3rd and 4th liners in SM-liiga are probably better than in NLA.

and comparing it to Czech Extraliga or DEL is offending the quality of this league.
Extraliga has many big-name players although most of them are pretty old. I don't know how good the young players in Extraliga are compared to young players in SM-liiga. Are the young players in SM-liiga considerably better than in Extraliga?

Bakayoko Ono

Aug 12, 2007
Helsinki
1. KHL(24 teams)
2. Elitserien(12)
3. NLA(12) / SM-liiga(14) / Extraliga(CZE)(14) / DEL(16)
4. Extraliga(SVK)(13)
5. Erste Bank Eishockey Liga(10)

Swedish Allsvenskan is also a pretty good league.

STHLM*

1: KHL

2: NLA

3: Extraliga

4: Extraliga ( SVK)

5: Norway liga

6: SEL

7: SM-liga

or why not this?
1. NLA
2. Extraliga
3. Extraliga(SVK)
4. Norway liga
5. SM-liga
6. SEL
7. KHL

Poor KHL, the worst league by far!:laugh:

JMFJ 3

Nov 14, 2007
I still think the quality top to bottom, the SEL is the best league in Europe. The NLA is pretty underrated and is probably right there with SM-liiga.

1.SEL
2.KHL
3.SM-liiga
4.NLA

STHLM*

Here's another one to you. If you think Elitserien is so much better than NLA and Extraliga, why you suck so much during European club competitions?

Don't give me the "we don't care" attitude, so far, you're league hasn't prove anything to deserve of the title of best league in Europe.:p:

So you really think that European club competitions can be compated to WCH?? LOOOOOL! Look Champions league is cancelled because the economic crisis. Now you see how important this is. No, this don't show anything. You can't mean that your crappy league is better than the league who has produced stars as Forsberg, Lidström, Sundin, Zetterberg...SEL don't care about Champoins league. If your league is good you should dominate WCH over Sweden. But you don't and why? SEL has the top talents that your crappy NLA isn't even close to! Look at this years draft. Mostly of the swedish first rounders will play in SEL. Where are the Swiss?

TheNextOneX

Apr 29, 2009
Lausanne
So you really think that European club competitions can be compated to WCH?? LOOOOOL! Look Champions league is cancelled because the economic crisis. Now you see how important this is. No, this don't show anything. You can't mean that your crappy league is better than the league who has produced stars as Forsberg, Lidström, Sundin, Zetterberg...SEL don't care about Champoins league. If your league is good you should dominate WCH over Sweden. But you don't and why? SEL has the top talents that your crappy NLA isn't even close to! Look at this years draft. Mostly of the swedish first rounders will play in SEL. Where are the Swiss?

Did you read the title thread? this is about the top European league NOT the WCH....

Anyway, Swiss are not really keen to come to N.A. because of the good standard they do enjoy in the Swiss league. You also have to keep in mind that our league is purely "amateur" and our teen learn to skate and play the game quite lately oppose to Swede, Finnish, Canadian, Russian and Cze who learn hockey at the age 2,3 or 4 years old.

If we adapt the same development standard as those countries and start to professionalize our league, i do believe my country will win every gold medal in WCH and Olympic competition...We have better facilities and infrastructures than any other countries out there.

Also, during the 2000 till 2005, our junior team won each year, at least a medals during the WCH junior, but unfortunately, they're not following the right development which is to play in the NHL, but prefer staying in NLA which is a shame IMO.:shakehead

One more thing, during those competitions, Switzerland has never had the opportunities to use its best players because of the feud they had with our national coach.

If we had them during the Olympics, our team would had give more than a fight for a hockey country power such as Sweden or Finland IMO.

Last edited:

STHLM*

Did you read the title thread? this is about the top European league NOT the WCH....

Anyway, Swiss are not really keen to come to N.A. because of the good standard they do enjoy in the Swiss league. You also have to keep in mind that our league is purely "amateur" and our teen learn to skate and play the game quite lately oppose to Swede, Finnish, Canadian, Russian and Cze who learn hockey at the age 2,3 or 4 years old.

If we adapt the same development standard as those countries and start to professionalize our league, i do believe my country will win every gold medal in WCH and Olympic competition...We have better facilities and infrastructures than any other countries out there.

Also, during the 2000 till 2005, our junior team won each year, at least a medals during the WCH junior, but unfortunately, they're not following the right development which is to play in the NHL, but prefer staying in NLA which is a shame IMO.:shakehead

One more thing, during those competitions, Switzerland has never had the opportunities to use its best players because of the feud they had with our national coach.

If we had them during the Olympics, our team would had give more than a fight for a hockey country power such as Sweden or Finland IMO.

Well the most of the European players in WCH comes from the European leagues. That's why it's I'm talking about that. If Swiss has a that good league you should be much better.

About world juniors U-20: what hell are you talking about? You only have 1 bronze from 1998. Nothing more. And from U-18 WJC you have 1 silver from 2001. Nothing more. Then again what hell are you talking about? You try to get your country to look better than what it is or what?

Do you really say that your players stay in Switzerland because they think they have good standard in the Swiss league??? Hello we are talking about the worlds best league with much money and it's NHL. They don't want to play in NHL because the good standard in the Swiss league???? WOW, that was a really lame excuse!

About international competitions, Sweden always never has all our best players. Not in WCH and often not in OG either. Even in 2006 there were players who could be in the team but who wasn't, Markus Näslund for example.

If your players are so good why aren't they in NHL??? Sweden kicked you ***** in OG 2006 and I really doubt you had players left who could changed that!

But yeahhh try to hype yor little country. You will never be that good as Sweden.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
This. Easily the best ranking so far in this thread.

Gotta agree, though there could be an argument abut CZE Extraliga/DEL, Extraliga probably has the better top players with Czech veterans coming back lately, but DEL probably has the better part of the import players and it could be argued over the overall quality of the teams. But that could be in most leagues as I believe that some of these leagues have too many teams and the differences between the top and bottom teams are huge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad