Best league outside NHL

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I actually wasn’t making a big deal about registered players. That’s such a lazy distraction to focus on.

I was really talking about junior players. Registered players is just a number that feeds into that but junior numbers is the number that feeds into professional number. The “extra” teams aren’t being filled by randoms off the street, they come from a larger ecosystem of junior hockey.

This might be confusing but the fact that more pro teams exist means there are more pro players. It doesn’t mean the caliber of those pro players is necessarily terrible. If there are 100 doctors in one place and 500 doctors in a different place, the extra 400 doctors aren’t proof that this place has lower quality doctors, when you show they have extra medical schools and extra hospitals for these doctors to grow into their practice.

Again, number of players in NHL only detracts from the quality of the domestic league, you’re so blinded by “Sweden good, Russia bad” that you went on a whole different subplot on that topic. The most rough and dirty example will be if Leo Carlsson is in the NHL this year and Matvei Michkov we know will be in the KHL a while longer. KHL has no transfer agreement. Players stay in the KHL longer and historically if they don’t like their contract offers, are not against going back after a few years rather than continuing to grind it out to be a 13th forward/waiver fodder.

If you’re going on and on about the league size, it’s fairly irrelevant which country has the better 50th best player. It’s more like the 400th best player.

Last edited:

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
The Czechs are hiding their quality very well in the CHL, currently between Austria and France in the rankings.
Well, if you consider the CHL ranking to be a relevant indicator of league quality, I'm not gonna argue with you. I recall Cardiff Steelers beating Czech teams on multiple occasions, I'm sure they would fare well in Extraliga :)

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
I hope you're kidding.lol
Well.. :laugh:
Screenshot_20231004_170842_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Scientifically speaking, Metal Ligaen is the best league that competes in the Champions Hockey League because it has the fewest teams. It's just math.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Thanks. That should have a major impact on drawing and retaining foreign talent.
It sure has a notable impact, as due to the ruble rate going down foreigners lost approximately about 15% of the initially planned income (maybe even more, as bonuses are paid at the end of the season when the rate was lower, but here we need to know the amount of those to calculate more precisely).

Reactions: Bocephus86

Luolis

May 11, 2016
Finland
I'm probably biased here, but Liiga is nowhere near as bad as some posters put it. Definitely worse than SHL. NL is better in top end talent, but the middle and bottom tier players favor Liiga i'd say, so overall quality of teams is in my opinion pretty similar. DEL and Extraliga i think are a step below. AHL it's hard to compare and KHL does not even deserve to be talked about.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The quality of lesser teams and players is the worst argument there is for Liiga. If you look at rosters of teams like Sport or SaiPa especially late in the season then it's not particularly impressive even for a second-tier comparison.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Any "Champions League" containing a bunch of teams that have never won the championship is hardly serious. That goes for hockey and that goes for soccer. The main difference is that in soccer there's a ton of money involved and in hockey there isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad